U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2013, 06:42 AM

280 posts, read 512,553 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL View Post
There is a gal named Michelle Phan on youtube who shows people how to put on different types of makeup styles, etc...she has been reported to make like $1.5mil just off youtube...she has deals outside of youtube due to her popularity with some major makeup firms like Maybelline, etc. to further increase her income and net worth.

I've watched several of her makeup videos, and they are indeed remarkable. She is a very talented makeup artist. Here's one of her transformations:

Duchess Kate Middleton Make-up Transformation !!!! - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2013, 11:53 AM

1,428 posts, read 854,773 times
Default very little money

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Kay View Post
I believe you get a percentage of the ad revenue generated by your videos. So the more people on youtube seeing ads because of your video the more you make. Can anyone correct me of I'm wrong?
you get a small percentage of the ad revenue but its such a very tiny amount that unless you getting tons of views a day it really doesnt amount to more than just small pocket change, plus more and more people now have ad block anyway.

Old 09-23-2013, 02:00 PM

1,964 posts, read 4,086,013 times
in the old days of Youtube the renumeration was mostly in the form of revenue-sharing by becoming a Youtube "partner", but based on what some agents in the industry out here in LA have told me they've actually switched to contracts with their bigger stars and have a big hand in channel development & content creation, almost like a cable network. Depending on the number of subscribers and view count some of these "actors" can pull in $20~50k+ a yr, enough incentive for them to put in some effort in their videos, but not enough to buy a home & raise a family, which is why they all tend to be under 30 yrs old.

Old 09-30-2013, 07:31 PM
JL

7,207 posts, read 10,605,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VGravitas View Post
I've watched several of her makeup videos, and they are indeed remarkable. She is a very talented makeup artist. Here's one of her transformations:

Duchess Kate Middleton Make-up Transformation !!!! - YouTube
That isn't her. This is her...she has 4.7 million subscribers on her channel...she has her own blog, site, etc...she had mentioned about her mother not having to work anymore as a result of youtube. I believe alot of other gals followed suit to create their own online makeup tips afterwards...Michelle was doing this back in 2006 when youtube was in its infancy. She does different looks(Vampire, Games of Thrones, Lady Gaga, Barbie, Snow White, etc) as well as other looks that many fans request.

Michelle Phan - YouTube Channel

Spanish Rose - YouTube

Old 10-29-2013, 08:02 PM

397 posts, read 250,785 times
I love Funky Dineva. SHe's hilarious.

Last edited by Chilipepper35; 10-29-2013 at 08:03 PM.. Reason: Not He, She

Old 11-03-2013, 04:53 PM

1,205 posts, read 2,018,331 times
I read somewhere the guy who was providing all the machine guns and stuff for the FPS Russia videos got murdered.
I think professional Russian is making videos with some woman under a different pseudonym now.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/11/us...eath.html?_r=0

Old 11-03-2013, 05:08 PM

1,205 posts, read 2,018,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokencrayola View Post
How exactly do people make money on Youtube? Do people have to pay to subscribe?
You can link it up to your google adsense account, mine is, I haven't checked it in a while maybe I've broken the $10 barrier by now

Old 11-04-2013, 09:42 PM

1,428 posts, read 854,773 times
Default not much money

Its like talking about entertainers, for every band that sells a million cd's there are thousands that sell just a few thousand , for every actor who makes a millions dollars an episode or 20 million a movie there are thousands that make less than that kid working at mcdonalds.The problem is that there a millions of videos on youtube ,unless there is something unique about yours and people start to talk about it. its just part of the background noise.for example I made a video about turning a large jawbreaker on my wood lathe. Initially I got the usual 1 or 2 views a day then some website talked about it and then another and then another and I was up to 20k views a day. It didnt last long and iteventually settlded down to a few dozen views a day after a few weeks, but it shows you when something that catches the views attention you can get a big blast of views.If I'm right you only get $1 per 1000 views and now finally after 6 years I hit my one millionth view on my youtube site.Thats $166 a year , I guess I wont be ordering that periwinkle blue rolls royce anytime soon.

Old 04-21-2014, 06:52 PM
JL

This 18yr old is pulling in about $40k per month....she started since 2009 and 5.5 million subscribers..

http://finance.yahoo.com/blogs/drive...133655143.html

Old 07-19-2014, 05:38 PM
JL

Update: check out Michelle Phan's latest video interview...she is going to try and capture the Chinese market...this gal is growing her business big time! Btw, 6.7mil subscribers now.

https://www.yahoo.com/beauty/beauty-...061783533.html

Last edited by JL; 07-19-2014 at 05:58 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts