U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2013, 05:37 AM

26,162 posts, read 14,774,039 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH;
Correct, there are no ads on Netflix. Its well worth it, I looked at Hulu+ last night and couldn't convince myself it was worth it.
Excellent......... (Thats what i thught)

I wonder how much longer it will be before they start spamming it?? (After all we all pay for sat and cable also and are still flooded with spam)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2013, 03:16 PM

2,759 posts, read 3,350,508 times
If my relatives weren't used to Comcast, I would have dropped that sorry company years ago. They've gotten worse.

Really, I don't trust ANY cable company. HULU, YouTube, and Netflix are my preferences. Cable has gotten "a big head". Someone should knock them off their high horse.

Old 08-01-2013, 04:01 PM

18,182 posts, read 20,245,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soda120 View Post
If my relatives weren't used to Comcast, I would have dropped that sorry company years ago. They've gotten worse.

Really, I don't trust ANY cable company. HULU, YouTube, and Netflix are my preferences. Cable has gotten "a big head". Someone should knock them off their high horse.
Think that was what Hulu & Netflix types were trying to do but now the cable companies want a bigger piece of the pie for their shows. Don't know why cable companies are so pig headed about going to ala carte pricing. Big deal nobody would pay for the less watched shows then they don't need to be on the air right?

Old 08-02-2013, 11:05 AM

9,131 posts, read 7,600,389 times
Fastest internet available where we live is AT&T DSL and we've been having bottle neck problems slowing down the speed during peak hours. I could live without our DirecTV but my wife can't. She has multiple spinal problems that causes her constant pain for the past 5 years and it's been getting worse. When she's having a really bad pain flare-up, she's laid up on the recliner or in bed all day long, sometimes several days. Her only form of entertainment is TV and internet. She's limited on the internet as long as she can stay in the recliner. Depending on the level and type of pain, she can't stay in the recliner and has to lay in bed (Select Comfort).

Old 08-02-2013, 11:40 AM

18,182 posts, read 20,245,694 times
This is precisely what I was talking about that was going to happen with TV shows. Now Bravo TV has their own YouTube channel where you can pay to download episodes for $1.99.

So if other networks & channels do this then it could cost more to buy ala carte than what a cable bill could be.

Bravo Digital Downloads - YouTube

Old 08-03-2013, 10:47 PM

8,567 posts, read 9,454,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soda120 View Post

Changes in TV product take place slowly. First there were only broadcast majors, then UHF came along. A couple of decades later there was some cable, but not everywhere. Then it started filling in. Then came new stations, CSPAN, then 24 hour news. It goes on and on.

Now streaming on a PC or directly to TV is becoming more common. That TWC has recently added streaming their cable product is evidence of change. There's not a lot of channels and you still have to pay for the cable product but it is change. And Dish has started offering a streaming channel. It's a pretty good bargain for the first years but not sure what the rates will go up to. I can still do without them but it's more evidence of the changing market.

And with Netflix, Hulu+, Prime adding content the ball keeps rolling. Now there are apps (plug-ins) for the Roku or other DLNA device that can access some of that programming that only until recently you could get on cable. There seems to be new stuff added every week.

Consumers have to keep up the pressure. Keep demanding improvements in streaming. And show the supposed masters of content that they're no longer quite the masters they built themselves to be.

Old 08-09-2013, 03:37 PM

15,989 posts, read 30,088,493 times
I will be dropping dish soon. I've had cable for about 6 months and only had it because my mom was living with me for awhile. Anyways, I haven't turned on the television in 4 months, yet I'm paying for some **** I don't use.

Old 08-09-2013, 04:21 PM

1,586 posts, read 1,500,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTRay View Post
Anyone like Hulu plus? I've got both Netflix and Hulu + an tend to watch Netflix. I just can't see much difference, am I missing something?
Hulu Plus and Netflix are pretty different. Netflix has more movies and tv shows but Hulu Plus shows the current season of tv shows the day after they air live. For example, I like watching Family Guy. It airs on Fox on Sunday night and its available on Hulu Pus on Monday. Netflix shows tv episodes in full seasons not individual episodes.

Old 08-09-2013, 04:40 PM

25,638 posts, read 16,703,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aleecya View Post
I have opted for netflix and hulu, it is only 25 buck a month for both( i have the one dvd out at a time plan with netflix with the streaming package. In, addition I have crackle on my ps3 so I have opted to not pay for cable tv or satellite. How many of you have done the same. I was feed up with 130.00 dollar cable bills.
I'm going to opt out of Dish. We have Hulu Plus and Netflix. They are a much more enjoyable viewing experience (no or very few commercials). No setting the DVR. And no !@$@#%@#$ $75 and climbing Dish bill. I wish more of the "alternate networks" (AMC/FX/Spike) had a Roku channel.

Old 08-09-2013, 11:00 PM

8,567 posts, read 9,454,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
I'm going to opt out of Dish. We have Hulu Plus and Netflix. They are a much more enjoyable viewing experience (no or very few commercials). No setting the DVR. And no !@$@#%@#$ $75 and climbing Dish bill. I wish more of the "alternate networks" (AMC/FX/Spike) had a Roku channel.
Toyman... Roku does have an plug-in call PLEX can sign up for. It works in two ways...

You can use it as a server on your PC to load your own content. Also, you can add TV channels - ABC, etc, including Spike. I'm watching Spike/GTTV - Call of Duty, right now. Finally, and this doesn't require the PC/server bit, if you're surfing the net and have found a video you can watch on your PC then there is a PLEX feature - Plex It. Like the website buttons at the top of your browser, Plex IT would be one of them. With the video (TV program, etc) on your screen you hit the Plex IT button. It will tell you if the video was found. Then go to Roku/Plex and should see that video/show in your Queue, to view.

I haven't seen AMC or FX but things are getting better every week.

Good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or