U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2013, 09:02 AM

37 posts, read 51,705 times

Advertisements

I'm in the exact same boat. The cable bill was just ridiculous and more than half the time we were watching Netflix or something else anyway. I'm now down to a $50 internet/TV bill plus the $8 Netflix costs me each month. One of the best decisions I've ever made.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2013, 09:51 AM

32,224 posts, read 9,543,242 times
How many of you have opted out of cable or satellite

We haven't yet but we're considering it. We currently have standard cable, and they're removing stations like crazy (with no price reduction). I plan on getting a small TV for the kitchen and already told DH I'm not having any holes in the walls/floor there, so we're going with an indoor antenna. Some of our friends have the flat ones for their larger TVs and they pull in a lot of stations. I'm also not playing the jumping-through-hoops game to get a price reduction. Everyone should be paying the same price for the same service.

Old 11-21-2018, 05:26 PM

6 posts, read 1,837 times
I too will be cancelling my cable (but not internet). The only thing I actually use cable (FIOS) for is to listen to the Music Choice channel. I wish I could find that program on Netflix - will really miss it!

Old 11-24-2018, 07:00 PM

18,659 posts, read 17,031,691 times
I had canceled my cable many years ago but after evacuating for Hurricane Florence to my brother's house in Va who has full cable, my wife fell in love with Animal Planet and a few other channels so I signed up for Spectrums 10 channel choice for $21. She is happy, so I guess I am too.

Old 11-27-2018, 04:41 PM

32,224 posts, read 9,543,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
I had canceled my cable many years ago but after evacuating for Hurricane Florence to my brother's house in Va who has full cable, my wife fell in love with Animal Planet and a few other channels so I signed up for Spectrums 10 channel choice for $21. She is happy, so I guess I am too.

That's $25 in the closest region to ours offering it--before taxes, fees ($3/month "broadcast fee"), monthly set-top box fee...and that pre-tax, base price rises to $30/month (at least) after two years.

It's still ¡Adios, Spectrum! for us lol. Let's just say I fell out of love with Animal Planet fast. Real fast.

Old 11-28-2018, 05:42 AM

413 posts, read 155,700 times
I will be honest. Cable television or "Pay tv" was a stupid idea. Grand at first. No commercials, no advertisment, uncensored everything. The next best thing to VHS/DVD/Blu-ray etc. But with the internet "sharing was caring" or "Yes please copt that floppy" overshadowed cable/Satellite.

Cable internet was perfect the way it was. It had anonymity when you have a high number of users in the area. Because everyone shares the same line. Fast one directional.

Things like Hulu, Netflix or basically Youtube in general is Internet TV for dummies. That is it. All of the same content was on the net for years from their original creators. Youtube just throw money at people to get more content. People uploading have been harassed by officers, to lawyers, to just about every copyright law. "Like a guy uploaded his video of a weed garden" which sent agents to "set the person up". They guy was friendly and respectful and good heart..

Then because of the lack of anonymity people are being forced to use phones due to the high number of spinster, ex-housewives, 30-year old virgin art ***** feminist daughters, and so forth. We are being forced to use phones. Some phone users get Netflix free and use it like Youtube non-stop. THEY ARE LOSING THEIR EYE SIGHT WATCHING THERE BLUE LIGHT PHONES NON-STOP.

I miss when cable and the internet was in the living room. I wish it would go back to 56K speeds. That was decent enough. I miss when we could go outside and meet up and make new friends. Not be on somebodies lame forum and then meet up and a couple of months later be banned from the forum. I miss those normal days. Now everyone and everywhere is hardwired into the internet using instagram, facebook, some shopping store, or whatever. They could be reading a book or even learning something like a new language.

Old Today, 12:27 PM

244 posts, read 58,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DebfromAlexVA View Post
I too will be cancelling my cable (but not internet). The only thing I actually use cable (FIOS) for is to listen to the Music Choice channel. I wish I could find that program on Netflix - will really miss it!

Me too. I wonder if streaming SiriusXM would make a suitable alternative?

Old Today, 12:36 PM

5,302 posts, read 4,851,903 times
I 'm shut down Comcast tomorrow. They only get more expensive with less service. I'm going with Direct TV Now and another internet provider since Comcast has data caps now. Direct TV NOW has HBO for $5 and Showtime for $8. I already have Netflix, Hulu, and Prime that we share passwords with friends and family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or