U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2013, 08:35 AM

249 posts, read 396,284 times

Advertisements

I have opted for netflix and hulu, it is only 25 buck a month for both( i have the one dvd out at a time plan with netflix with the streaming package. In, addition I have crackle on my ps3 so I have opted to not pay for cable tv or satellite. How many of you have done the same. I was feed up with 130.00 dollar cable bills.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2013, 10:02 AM

4,253 posts, read 3,951,390 times
I do without cable more often than not. When I paid to get cable last summer, it had been at least a couple of years that I'd done just fine without it. The only reason I had it re-installed was because I thought that I should keep myself informed for the November elections.

Ha-ha-ha! I should have spared myself the time and money.

Anyhow, I'm getting ready to have it disconnected again. I agree with the OP that most cable companies charge too much money for too few good programs. I love music and I really like to discover all the great things that are and have been put out by different groups and singers. I can listen to Pandora or other Internet music stations all day long, and I like to listen to NPR. too. The Internet in general is more interesting to me than the junk on cable. Books are great stuff, as well.

If I want to see something on video, I can usually rent it on the cheap from Netflix or Red Box or else go over to a friend's and watch cable on THEIR dime.

Too many people have become captive to the cable companies, IMO. Despite all the competition, they still all seem to charge astronomical fees for programming that's not much better than one of those videos of birds that you can leave on for your cat so she won't get bored if you're gone.

Plus, they give you a low price for a month or two, but then do the old switcheroo on the customer and you're paying double before you know what hits you. This last bit REALLY ticks me off.

Cable? Meh.

Old 05-22-2013, 05:06 PM

5,577 posts, read 4,782,672 times
I bought a leaf antenna and get 58 channels. After subtracting the Spanish and religious and the ones I don't ever watch I have about 15 programmed in. I mostly watch METV, a local independent channel, the CW, the 3 PBS channels, and the 4 networks.

We have a great library system and I order the movies online and they call when they come in.

I got rid of Netflix last fall and cable last winter. The networks show enough sports for me.

When I had cable I found myself settling in for the night as soon as baseball started and not really doing much else.

Old 05-23-2013, 10:04 AM

10,542 posts, read 4,676,858 times
My comment
(no, I don't even have a tv-I free stream shows online via desktop)
is posted in this thread-
Are You Watching Less TV Because of YouTube?

Old 05-23-2013, 02:36 PM

37 posts, read 50,709 times
We exclusively use Netflix on our Xbox and download whatever else we want, and I couldn't be happier.

Old 05-23-2013, 09:31 PM

95 posts, read 170,391 times
I recently cancelled my cable. My tv was in the shop for about a month, so I watched my shows online at that time, and got used to it, so it just made sense to cancel my cable and save money. I have Netflix, so I can still watch things on my tv, and my regular shows I just watch online (although I'll probably have to Netflix It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, since that doesn't seem to have full episodes on Hulu). I figure this will save me about $800.00 a year. Only thing I miss is baseball, and seeing as the White Sox suck this year, I'm not missing much.

Old 06-15-2013, 10:05 AM

2,159 posts, read 2,507,242 times
Cable is no big deal to me. I can live with or without it. Sometimes, I get it because it's on a special and it's just cheaper to get cable and internet together than paying internet alone....but once that special rates are over; there goes the cancellation. There is only a few channel that I watch anyway which are ESPN and NFL network.

Old 06-15-2013, 05:52 PM

4,009 posts, read 5,171,833 times
DH & I opted out over 3 1/2 years ago in favor of Netflix Streaming ($8.55/mo inc tax) and more recently Amazon Prime. We honestly just don't watch enough TV to constitute paying for cable / satellite as we find that there is often "nothing on anyhow"! We only pay $29/mo for internet alone, so it's not in our best interests to pay extra for cable.

Old 07-20-2013, 03:35 PM

243 posts, read 378,031 times
No cable/satellite and the only time I turn on my TV is for the local news and weather now and then. If my television broke, I would not replace it.

Like Colorado Rambler, TV isn't my only form of entertainment. I use Pandora, Spotify, listen to NPR, local talk radio in the morning, catch up with podcasts on my iPod, play games on my phone or iPod or Kindle, and read books or magazines. I have a digital radio tuner on my iPod and my phone for stations worldwide, and sometimes I go old school and turn on an actual radio . There's just too many other home entertainment options to justify paying for cable and then taking the time to use it to its full extent.

I don't watch a lot of shows, but the ones I do, I stream for free online. Plus online, I can find older shows too, not just what the networks schedule. Not to mention the Canadian and UK programs I like that aren't on here in the USA. Right now I'm watching The White Queen tv series, which isn't on here in the US yet, but when it debuts it will only be on Starz. I also have a program that changes my IP to a UK address so I can stream from BBC's iPlayer. I could watch TV for free all day, everyday online, and still not be able to watch everything that I find interesting or entertaining. Why would I pay over $100/month for programming I don't watch that much and don't even like the content of?

Cable prices are ridiculous. Never again. Kind of like how I'll never have a landline again....it's been replaced by something else that's cheaper, does more, and is portable.

The TV's pretty dead to me; I don't mourn the loss.

Last edited by Ohio Hello; 07-20-2013 at 04:02 PM..

Old 07-20-2013, 04:07 PM

18,093 posts, read 20,055,264 times
I cut off Direct TV a couple of years ago before moving into town used a converter box picked up 40 channels for free. Then sold the farm moved in town we got basic cable and Netflix after about 3 months of no TV. Now I only pay $7.99 per month for Netflix cable is free it's a perk for this 55+ community. Rest I watch online if I miss something for free.

I think cable companies waited a little to late to start worry about how to keep customers. Now they are doing whatever they can to keep customers like offering free cable to certain complexes I'm sure they give the complex owners a great deal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or