Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2013, 07:51 AM

10,855 posts, read 6,369,627 times

Advertisements

Since 2011, I haven't listened to/watched broadcast (aired) media, have been just watching ad-free tv online and listening to music on YT or via my private collection on my computer.
I used to keep up on the news (reading online), but towards the end of June of this year, I just couldn't take it anymore, it served only to depress and enrage me.
My energy is more devoted to developing & nurturing a social life, which I dearly need & want.
I still have strong opinions on the issues and I continue to vote, but upsetting myself about the daily ups & downs seems irrelevant.
Speaking only for myself, at this point in my life, I don't wish for more needless suffering about which I can do nothing anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2013, 07:51 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,398,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
I think in particular the highest paid TV actresses are almost invisible to most men. These earnings are total earnings (not just TV salary). Most men know these names, but for many men they are almost invisible.

May 2011 and May 2012.
Sophia Vergara $19m
Kim Kardashian, $18m
Eva Longoria $15m
Khloe Kardashian Odom $12m
Bethenny Frankel $11m
That's ALL they made? For one year? For some reason, I would have thought these ppl made more.

Old 09-24-2013, 06:10 AM

9,322 posts, read 16,661,006 times
We have reduced TV watching to limited shows which are usually on TVland. AFA news, we read what we want on the internet. We found we were sick and tired of the antics in DC and constant BS from the so-called "journalists" (NOT). We rarely watch TV during the day, even though we are retired. It seems every talk show or day time show have celebrities on, which I personally could care less about.

So many Americans don't have jobs and are losing their homes and I have to listen to a celebrity who is making millions off of these people when they go to the movies.

Old 12-05-2013, 02:51 AM

191 posts, read 262,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloven View Post
Since 2011, I haven't listened to/watched broadcast (aired) media, have been just watching ad-free tv online and listening to music on YT or via my private collection on my computer.
I used to keep up on the news (reading online), but towards the end of June of this year, I just couldn't take it anymore, it served only to depress and enrage me.
My energy is more devoted to developing & nurturing a social life, which I dearly need & want.
I still have strong opinions on the issues and I continue to vote, but upsetting myself about the daily ups & downs seems irrelevant.
Speaking only for myself, at this point in my life, I don't wish for more needless suffering about which I can do nothing anyway.
Amen to that!!

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Old 07-17-2016, 07:15 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,834,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayton Sux
Has anyone here gone "off the grid" when it comes to mass media?

By this I mean not reading the newspapers or magazines (tuning out politics and "the news"), dropping cable or dish and, in fact, not owning a TV or DVD player, not listening to radio,seeing very few if any movies.

Basically tuning out pop culture..news/politics, entertainment like Cable TV, pop music, movies, sports...
Yes as most of it is meant to confuse and keep us UNINFORMED of whats really going on in the world....... I FIND MOST OF MY NEWS/INFO ONLINE where the US compaines CANNOT CENSOR the truth!!

Old 07-17-2016, 06:35 PM

326 posts, read 181,745 times
When it comes to modern media, I tune out most of it. It sucks and I just don't pay attention to it.

Older media, on the other hand, I pay attention to a lot. It captures my attention more than modern media could ever do

Old 07-19-2016, 06:25 AM

3,929 posts, read 2,953,054 times
I don't involve myself in any types of social media other than Instagram (follow my family and friends to see their photos) and we dropped our cable and have only Netflix and Hulu for tv shows and movies. I'll watch a few You Tube channels (Sailing La vagabonde and Eat Your Sushi).

As for music, I enjoy the Pandora stations I created or my own music downloads on my phone. I never listen to the radio unless it is at work because I hate radio. If it's on a pop station I usually just put in my headphones and listen to podcasts (No Sleep Podcast, Horror Movie Podcast, Saw Bones: A Medical History Podcast).

I do check the news every now and again , just to stay aware of what is going on in the world. So I am not completely "off grid" when it comes to medias, but than I don't really want to be. I am just selective about what I spend time on.

Old 07-21-2016, 12:40 PM

862 posts, read 1,196,822 times
This thread reminds me of a woman my parents once knew who actually did disconnected herself to anything related to pop culture including national & even local news. This goes way back to October 1985 when Rock Hudson had died from AIDS. She became so sick of the coverage his death had received that one day she got rid of her TV and radio, cancelled her newspaper subscription and even had the owner of a nearby supermarket to create a special check out lane that was free of the tabloids and other magazines such as Cosmo so she wouldn't have to look at them. If she had entered a store or restaurant that had the radio on she would walk out. She really had no interest in such stuff. She even had the radio in her car taken out. If the internet existed back then she probably wouldn't have it either. The only thing current she would keep up to date with was the weather which she would get the info from a weather radio. News events such as the space shuttle Challenger disaster, The Pan AM bombing, the fall of the Berlin Wall even the elections of George H. Bush and Bill Clinton..she didn't know about those things at all. Even though she loved country music..she stopped listening to that as well. Garth Brooks ?? Who is he ?? She really did cut herself away from the world.

Looking back this going off the grid unfortunately did result in some mental health issues for her though. Bring up something current and she would get very nasty towards you such as sticking fingers in her ears and saying loudly "LA LA LA LA LA' to tune you out. When she went to K-Mart one day and saw some people in front of the store trying to raise money to help out a local family whose home had burned down she became very rude towards them screaming when they asked her to help out "..LOOK..I DON"T CARE !! I DON"T CARE !! LEAVE ME ALONE !!". Ugly scene !!. She died in 1997 and it wasn't a surprise to anyone that she was dead in her home for several days before the body was found since she had few friends.

Now for me....I don't have as much interest in pop culture as I once did but since I live in Denver its tough if not impossible to cut yourself off totally from such things the way this woman did back in 1985. I would probably get smacked in the face for being rude if I were to put my fingers in my ears and scream LA LA LA LA LA to tune somebody out.

Old 07-21-2016, 12:47 PM

781 posts, read 736,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tantan1968 View Post
This thread reminds me of a woman my parents once knew who actually did disconnected herself to anything related to pop culture including national & even local news. This goes way back to October 1985 when Rock Hudson had died from AIDS. She became so sick of the coverage his death had received that one day she got rid of her TV and radio, cancelled her newspaper subscription and even had the owner of a nearby supermarket to create a special check out lane that was free of the tabloids and other magazines such as Cosmo so she wouldn't have to look at them. If she had entered a store or restaurant that had the radio on she would walk out. She really had no interest in such stuff. She even had the radio in her car taken out. If the internet existed back then she probably wouldn't have it either. The only thing current she would keep up to date with was the weather which she would get the info from a weather radio. News events such as the space shuttle Challenger disaster, The Pan AM bombing, the fall of the Berlin Wall even the elections of George H. Bush and Bill Clinton..she didn't know about those things at all. Even though she loved country music..she stopped listening to that as well. Garth Brooks ?? Who is he ?? She really did cut herself away from the world.

Looking back this going off the grid unfortunately did result in some mental health issues for her though. Bring up something current and she would get very nasty towards you such as sticking fingers in her ears and saying loudly "LA LA LA LA LA' to tune you out. When she went to K-Mart one day and saw some people in front of the store trying to raise money to help out a local family whose home had burned down she became very rude towards them screaming when they asked her to help out "..LOOK..I DON"T CARE !! I DON"T CARE !! LEAVE ME ALONE !!". Ugly scene !!. She died in 1997 and it wasn't a surprise to anyone that she was dead in her home for several days before the body was found since she had few friends.
Cool story bro, be nice if it were true....

Old 07-21-2016, 01:17 PM

862 posts, read 1,196,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetailSymbolizes View Post
Cool story bro, be nice if it were true....
It was true. Marie Dolan was her name. My parents were one of the few friends she had.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts