U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2017, 03:44 PM

5,215 posts, read 2,231,041 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrandK-Man View Post
The biggest - and dumbest - mistake I see folks doing is ripping their entire CD collection to iTunes and on their phones, and then selling or donating their collection! Or to a hard drive. What if the hard drive seizes up? Or the phone takes a dive into Lake Porcelain? lol Goodbye music collection!
I don't get that, either. Makes no sense. At least not to me.

Most of those types, i.e. millennials, are only casual music lovers. The singles, and so on. They don't appreciate albums front to back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2017, 03:55 PM

1,769 posts, read 546,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
I don't get that, either. Makes no sense. At least not to me.

Most of those types, i.e. millennials, are only casual music lovers. The singles, and so on. They don't appreciate albums front to back.
Millennials did not propel that technology or listening style - they grew into it. If we were still using cassettes, LPs, or CDs, then that's what Millennials would be using.

Old 07-28-2017, 03:56 PM

1,007 posts, read 819,062 times
Actually, that's a good point there. I have my collection because I use them. I have NetFlix though and like the cable, 2000 channels and nothing to watch.

I'm on a fixed budget and I could lose my internet anytime so I won't depend on streaming. I don't have iTunes or anything like that. The collection I have were pennies on a dollar and affordable to buy from time to time. The TV season DVDs was a goldmine at the thrift store. 50 cents per DVD in each set.

I went broke for the month.

This month I bought a new DVD player for backup. That's a $25 investment for my collection.

ETA: by the time I hit the reply button two new posts were made so I'll add to it, I still have my cassette tapes and record albums. They're all 70s rock.

Old 07-28-2017, 07:18 PM

5,215 posts, read 2,231,041 times
Quote:
Millennials did not propel that technology or listening style - they grew into it. If we were still using cassettes, LPs, or CDs, then that's what Millennials would be using.
Sounds like you're replying to a different post. I was agreeing with my. My post said nothing about the technology itself but the conveniences enabled by it. They rip everything (or download it, only) and offload their physical wares, if they possess any. That means everything they possess is literally a file.

Like you said, if the iDoodad takes a plunge, it's over, unless it's all backed up to the Cloud (even then, it's not immune to mishaps). Meanwhile, the same CD player I've owned for 15+ years keeps spinning, and my CDs are all filed alphabetically and mere feet from my desk.

Old 07-29-2017, 05:57 AM

6,908 posts, read 3,380,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeeGer View Post
I said it because of what you said here. You are shunning history just because you don't use it any more. You don't speak for me.
I've never spoken for you. Perhaps you don't know what "IMO" means?

Old 07-29-2017, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Most of what I like tends to be older, so I can usually find it at thrifts stores or specialty websites. CDs I wanted as a teenager but couldn't afford - now $3 at Goodwill! Same with vinyl and DVD. I do not trust keeping all my media(including books) in the "Cloud", and streamed video or audio is not of same quality as physical media. I also rip my Amazon songs to CD-R(forgive me if I used the wrong term!).

The biggest - and dumbest - mistake I see folks doing is ripping their entire CD collection to iTunes and on their phones, and then selling or donating their collection! Or to a hard drive. What if the hard drive seizes up? Or the phone takes a dive into Lake Porcelain? lol Goodbye music collection!
If my phone takes a dive, it's all on my computer. If my hard drive crashes, it's also on my external hard drive and the the cloud. No problem whatsoever.

Last edited by hertfordshire; 07-29-2017 at 06:19 AM..

Old 07-29-2017, 01:55 PM

9,031 posts, read 8,523,700 times
Books / movies . . . don't buy, get them free on loan from the library.

Old 07-31-2017, 12:53 AM
Status: "Playing metal in appropriate places" (set 13 days ago)

4,791 posts, read 2,849,622 times
I still buy cds because I can play them in my car.

I still buy dvds and blu ray discs because I prefer to watch them on my tv. Plus my tv outputs better picture quality than my computer screen.

Old 07-31-2017, 12:56 AM
Status: "Playing metal in appropriate places" (set 13 days ago)

4,791 posts, read 2,849,622 times
Quote:

At least I still have a backup on a physical CD and wouldn't lose my music collection if my hard drive seizes up or my phone gets dropped in a lake.

Old 07-31-2017, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevdawgg View Post
I still buy cds because I can play them in my car.
A lot of newer cars no longer have CD players. So those days are numbered as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts