U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2018, 02:33 PM

162 posts, read 82,639 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
DVDs have a smell?
There is a slight scent to the disc, and particularly the sleeve and liner notes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2018, 08:13 PM

751 posts, read 336,636 times
Clutter is my friend. Still buy tons of DVDs & get excited to find some old school CDs around - still have a collection of albums and cassettes too. I like having bookshelves filled with books and media. I just do. I love to find a bargain at a garage sale, library sale or for cheap on ebay. I like to look at it and it gives me a sense of satisfaction to see everything I have on shelves without having to scroll and scroll and scroll and forgetting what I have or having to be near a computer or TV to watch or listen to something & trying to see anything on a phone drives me nuts. Have lost wifi signals, have lost on demand -been unable to access it at times -but have never lost the physical copy of something or been unable to play something I wanted to watch or listen to when I wanted, where I wanted. Of course we have portable DVD players and CDs players too. Plus I can lend it out to someone and we can swap things. It is a collection. A collectible. I like a home that feels lived in and shows possessions of things we love. I always felt bad for minimalists - it seems such a barren and sad existence. But I understand the millennials are all about experiences instead of products so I guess that comes with growing up in a digital world. I guess to answer the OPs question - it is a big yes. And from the way I see people hoarding media at thrift shops and garage sales etc. - I'd say there are a LOT of physical media people around here too.

Old 07-12-2018, 04:18 PM

4,896 posts, read 4,346,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srschirm View Post
There is a slight scent to the disc, and particularly the sleeve and liner notes.

I presume the scent was in reference to physical books, I think.

Old 07-12-2018, 04:32 PM

248 posts, read 58,238 times
No longer buy any media. That said I have a huge collection of albums and even more dear to me, thousands of hours of reel to reel music from The 60s recorded and evaluated by Rolling Stone critics via S.F. radio stations. Can't buy that.
Presently use an Alexa tied to my theater surround in my garage. It's better than XM or other on line providers, but still is predictable and will play the same set of songs if you request by artist.
If I get bored I grab my fender and learn some surf rips on YouTube.

Old 07-12-2018, 06:07 PM
Status: "Dislodging tonearm from living room ceiling!" (set 6 days ago)

1,713 posts, read 516,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovert View Post
I presume the scent was in reference to physical books, I think.
Where I work, in donated second hand retail, we sometimes get in books that positively STINK. I mean, that old booky library smell, squared!

Old 07-14-2018, 08:53 AM

30,724 posts, read 56,121,957 times
I just inherited about 80 albums from my aunts' and cousins' collections, everything from the Monkees to ethnic dance music to big bands to Grand Funk Railroad. It'll take me weeks to listen to them all. But what bliss!

Old 07-14-2018, 05:27 PM

2,837 posts, read 946,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by superseiyan View Post
This is more of a poll, and it isn't intended as a criticsm--rather I'm curious whether you're still buying discs (Music, Video Games, Movies) and if so why you are.

For me with all the streaming available for Anime, Music, and services like NEtflix for films, I just find it hard to justify the physical clutter caused by owning discs anymore. Furthermore, I just have a philosophical outlook on life in which "owning" stuff is overrated, I prefer experiencing stuff. For example, I can "experience" a hit song any time and as often as I want because of YouTube. I don't have to "own" the song.....

I do own one Anime Series, a few hip-hop CDs from the 1990s, and the Batman Trilogy (will add Fast & Furious collection soon) but that's only because those for me have unlimited replayability.

For those of you who are still buying how do you approach your physical purchases?
Anymore, I'll only buy DVDs that I think are great movies or classics, or ones that I really like. And the reason being is that I just want them in my collection. But that's only few and far between now compared to the frequency that I used to buy DVD movies.

But as far as music CDs are concerned, I'm old school and I prefer to listen to music on a quality stereo system at home rather than from my phone or other smaller device. Therefore, I choose to rip my music from CDs to my computer in lossless format and then listen to it via my home stereo system. However, if you purchase your music in MP3 format, you won't have the full range of sound as you would in comparison to getting your music from CDs in lossless format.

Old 07-14-2018, 07:37 PM
Status: "Dislodging tonearm from living room ceiling!" (set 6 days ago)

1,713 posts, read 516,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by William Taylor View Post
Anymore, I'll only buy DVDs that I think are great movies or classics, or ones that I really like. And the reason being is that I just want them in my collection. But that's only few and far between now compared to the frequency that I used to buy DVD movies.

But as far as music CDs are concerned, I'm old school and I prefer to listen to music on a quality stereo system at home rather than from my phone or other smaller device. Therefore, I choose to rip my music from CDs to my computer in lossless format and then listen to it via my home stereo system. However, if you purchase your music in MP3 format, you won't have the full range of sound as you would in comparison to getting your music from CDs in lossless format.
My 48 year old ears can't distinguish mp3 rip from a CD vs that CD directly, at bitrate 256kbps or higher.

As for CDs, I have weeded out most of the 'remastered' ones from my collection and have found original CD releases for them. If I told you what was done in the case of pop/rock remasters you might drop what you're reading this on!

Old 07-15-2018, 02:21 AM

209 posts, read 87,650 times
I didn't go through all the posts so I apologize if this has already been stated. I would rather buy books than read on a computer for the simple reason that it's better for your sleep at the end of the day. Looking at technology impacts the release of Melatonin.

As for my albums, why would I get rid of them? I have the space and think the pictures and often times programs (with lyrics) inside are extremely cool to look at and reminisce (something you don't get with downloads). My understanding is they are also better quality than electronic music or remastered CDs.

I'm curious. Can you actually get Garth Brooks? I know he didn't allow Itunes and I there was another artist (might have been Taylor Swift) that also forbade them from releasing products. I know the Beatles do now, but I think they didn't allow it initially either.

Last edited by JJonesIII; 07-15-2018 at 02:33 AM..

Old 07-15-2018, 02:53 PM

4,373 posts, read 294,533 times
Because I am a dinosaur and like to hold books in my hands, and I do not want to pay for any kind of music or movie service. (We don't have cable or any kind of Smartphone or any other kind of electronics invented in the 21st century -- and I don't feel deprived even a little bit.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts