Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2018, 07:33 AM

4,271 posts, read 6,296,510 times

Advertisements

I still buy Blu-rays but only buy the versions that also come with a digital copy. I don't keep the disc cases that the movies come in - I have wallets that allow me to have ~200 movies stored in a 1'x1' space. The wallets cut down on storage needs tremendously. Last movie purchased: Pitch Perfect 3, a few days ago. Will be buying Infinity War in a couple weeks when the Blu-Ray comes out.

We did the same storage for our CD collection, and have 6 wallets that hold ~500 CDs each. We rarely buy music CDs anymore but still pick up a dozen a year (which is not a lot compared to our historical numbers). I typically just download the songs I like at this point, maybe 3-5 a month. Last CDs purchase: cDs from Squeeze and Bob Dylan, for part of my husband's Xmas gift.

Once I joined Audible several years ago I stopped buying physical books for myself, but I still buy physical books for my teenagers. I still have a massive book collection although I recently donated about 100 books to cut down on storage needs. Last physical book purchase: Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card, a few weeks ago. I own that book already but could not find it on the shelves when my son requested it, so I opted to buy another copy. Hoping my son loves the book as much as I did (he's about halfway through).

Old 07-31-2018, 01:26 PM

Location: Removing a snake out of the neighbor's washing machine
3,095 posts, read 2,039,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Girl View Post
I still buy Blu-rays but only buy the versions that also come with a digital copy. I don't keep the disc cases that the movies come in - I have wallets that allow me to have ~200 movies stored in a 1'x1' space. The wallets cut down on storage needs tremendously. Last movie purchased: Pitch Perfect 3, a few days ago. Will be buying Infinity War in a couple weeks when the Blu-Ray comes out.

We did the same storage for our CD collection, and have 6 wallets that hold ~500 CDs each. We rarely buy music CDs anymore but still pick up a dozen a year (which is not a lot compared to our historical numbers). I typically just download the songs I like at this point, maybe 3-5 a month. Last CDs purchase: cDs from Squeeze and Bob Dylan, for part of my husband's Xmas gift.

Once I joined Audible several years ago I stopped buying physical books for myself, but I still buy physical books for my teenagers. I still have a massive book collection although I recently donated about 100 books to cut down on storage needs. Last physical book purchase: Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card, a few weeks ago. I own that book already but could not find it on the shelves when my son requested it, so I opted to buy another copy. Hoping my son loves the book as much as I did (he's about halfway through).

The only reason I went through such a late CD buying binge(2010-2017) was to replace as many CDs as possible in my collection marked "Digitally Remastered" with the original CD version. Closer to original sound, and could do it on a shoe string buying CDs at Goodwill, Salvation Army, tag sales, library tent sales, etc. $1-3/disc vs original retail $16.99 or higher, can't lose!

Old 08-01-2018, 06:35 PM

83 posts, read 73,301 times
I don't have a physical collection when it comes to CDs as I use Spotify and buy songs off of iTunes because it's simply easier and less clutter. However, I do have a growing collection of blu-rays/4Ks with a few DVDs that I'll probably keep forever. I can't ever fully get rid of my physical collection as while I may have a growing collection on Vudu/streaming applications, I like to ensure I have a copy I can watch if the wifi is down or not working.

I am going towards downsizing my collection of movies/TV shows exponentially as I start to get them on my main source (Vudu), but I will keep my top favorite movies/TV as well as collectible ones still. I'll never go fully digital, honestly.

Old 08-01-2018, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by countchocula View Post
I don't have a physical collection when it comes to CDs as I use Spotify and buy songs off of iTunes because it's simply easier and less clutter. However, I do have a growing collection of blu-rays/4Ks with a few DVDs that I'll probably keep forever. I can't ever fully get rid of my physical collection as while I may have a growing collection on Vudu/streaming applications, I like to ensure I have a copy I can watch if the wifi is down or not working.

I am going towards downsizing my collection of movies/TV shows exponentially as I start to get them on my main source (Vudu), but I will keep my top favorite movies/TV as well as collectible ones still. I'll never go fully digital, honestly.
It's convenient, but you have no control over what versions/masters of music albums or movies you can consume.

With physical, I decide if I want original or remastered content in my collection. Plus, physical means I OWN, not rent.

Old 08-01-2018, 08:27 PM

16,418 posts, read 12,499,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrandK-Man View Post
Plus, physical means I OWN, not rent.

That's no different than digital. You can own that content as well.

Old 08-01-2018, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
You own nothing on Spotify or Vudu. You can create playlists of things, but you do not own it. You can own downloads, like stuff from Amazon or iTunes. I just feel more comfortable knowing I have CDs backing up most of my files.

Old 08-01-2018, 08:42 PM

6,830 posts, read 3,218,675 times
I still buy an old fashioned News paper. I love holding it in my lap in the morning with a cup of coffee. Our subscription also allows our parents to log in using our subscription. The news paper has a paywall, so you have to pay for it anyway.

OTOH- I haven't listened to a CD in a long time. Our Alexa has all the music we have ever purchased available just for the asking. And our DVR has all the shows we like recorded.

At 65 I remember having a huge collection of vinyl albums, and carefully placing it on the turntable, and hoping it didn't get scratched and start skipping. Ahh, those were the days!

Old 08-01-2018, 09:42 PM

1,376 posts, read 1,366,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
You only own the physical media not the contents.

Old 08-01-2018, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrandK-Man View Post
You own nothing on Spotify or Vudu. You can create playlists of things, but you do not own it. You can own downloads, like stuff from Amazon or iTunes. I just feel more comfortable knowing I have CDs backing up most of my files.

I was talking about owning downloads. And I've already explained I have multiple redundant backups. It would have to be a perfect storm of my house burning down and my bank blowing up simultaneously to lose my files. And if that were to happen, I would have bigger things to worry about than whether or not I can recover Steel Magnolias.

Old 08-01-2018, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeeGer View Post
You only own the physical media not the contents.

Huh? If I own digital, I likely don't own the physical media. Not sure what you mean by "the contents"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts