U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2018, 03:22 PM

305 posts, read 159,306 times

Advertisements

Do I still buy physical media?

Yes.

Why?

Because I'm an aging dinosaur who is set in his ways and far too old to change now.

Last edited by RandyHS; 09-11-2018 at 03:35 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 12:25 AM

47 posts, read 4,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by superseiyan View Post
This is more of a poll, and it isn't intended as a criticsm--rather I'm curious whether you're still buying discs (Music, Video Games, Movies) and if so why you are.

For me with all the streaming available for Anime, Music, and services like NEtflix for films, I just find it hard to justify the physical clutter caused by owning discs anymore. Furthermore, I just have a philosophical outlook on life in which "owning" stuff is overrated, I prefer experiencing stuff. For example, I can "experience" a hit song any time and as often as I want because of YouTube. I don't have to "own" the song.....

I do own one Anime Series, a few hip-hop CDs from the 1990s, and the Batman Trilogy (will add Fast & Furious collection soon) but that's only because those for me have unlimited replayability.

For those of you who are still buying how do you approach your physical purchases?

I prefer high density file formats, a lot more expensive than the norm but I have the music systems to play several, and the quality is far above the 'normal' digital stuff downloadable from ITunes or the other pop oriented sites.

Youtube quality generally sucks, as do the digital download sites, but then they're fine for pop, country, and a lot of 'rock', since it's not really good compositions they're marketing, just quick light tunes for the same demographics pop/rock has always aimed for, adolescents and teenagers with disposable incomes and not over-endowed with taste, more into fashion and 'boy bands'. The quality of even that is still a little higher than in the past, but like 1950's 'rock n roll' it's still focused on the high range notes and gimmickry.

My CDs from the 1980's still look brand new, while most peoples' end up looking like some stoner used them to play Frisbie with chickens, so I'm very anal about taking care of my stuff and making it last. Ditto for my vinyl collection.

Films I don't buy, since my memory is good enough I can remember them for a long long time. Plus they rerun everything so often there is no point in owning films or TV shows.

Old Today, 02:45 AM

1,051 posts, read 836,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OberonKing View Post
Films I don't buy, since my memory is good enough I can remember them for a long long time. Plus they rerun everything so often there is no point in owning films or TV shows.
That's about 80% true but I could be wrong as I don't have access to all the channels that exists. I have a lot of movies that was never reran (that I've seen). Same for some TV series.

Old Today, 07:53 AM

305 posts, read 159,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeeGer View Post
That's about 80% true but I could be wrong as I don't have access to all the channels that exists. I have a lot of movies that was never reran (that I've seen). Same for some TV series.

Yeah, another good argument for buying DVD and the other formats. You can watch what you want when you want, and you might have TV shows and movies (as I do) in your collection that you cant get anywhere else. I spent 1986-2003 taping TV series that I enjoyed, alot of which are largely forgotten now.

Old Today, 08:27 AM

7,400 posts, read 3,609,616 times
They were probably forgotten for a reason. There were plenty of shows and movies I enjoyed during that time frame that are better off left in the past.

Old Today, 09:35 AM

1,051 posts, read 836,475 times
There was two TV series I liked that was cancelled because of poor ratings. They were Your Move and Second Chance. They were pretty funny as hell.

I'm sure everyone has a fav that got cancelled.

On second thought I looked them up and found this. This was under a different title:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0092447/?ref_=fn_al_tt_6

Hah, I just remembered that Jason Bateman was in Your Move and it was It's Your Move.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0086737/

Old Today, 09:47 AM

3,751 posts, read 2,749,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeeGer View Post
There was two TV series I liked that was cancelled because of poor ratings. They were Your Move and Second Chance. They were pretty funny as hell.

I'm sure everyone has a fav that got cancelled.

On second thought I looked them up and found this. This was under a different title:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0092447/?ref_=fn_al_tt_6

Hah, I just remembered that Jason Bateman was in Your Move and it was It's Your Move.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0086737/
I liked Tru Calling which only lasted one and a half seasons. Ironically it became available on DVD unlike most early cancellations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts