U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2018, 06:37 PM

15,093 posts, read 15,150,333 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeeGer View Post
Not always. I found some good DVDs at ours. I forgot what movies they were as they are added to my collection of over 1000+ DVDs.

I found these two though and it was a good day.

Sorry, I don't do Hipster movies!

But yeah, you are right, you can occasionally find decent movies at Dollar-Tree. Night Moves with Jesse Eisenberg was pretty good, I got that from DT.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2018, 07:07 PM

1,096 posts, read 851,295 times
I just remembered that I have the DVDs in a queue spindle before sorting and adding to the collection.

These are the DVDs I found there:

State and Main
Gangs of New York (I think I've seen it years ago)
Coyote Ugly
The Dark Knight
Father and Scout
2guns

Old 10-06-2018, 08:25 AM

4,271 posts, read 5,239,517 times
I am moving to buy all of my desired library of books on Kindle as that’s all I use for reading now through my iPad though. But I’ll write down whatever I give away in case I later want to buy it. Just don’t want to move so many books yet again. But half of my library or at least 40% are coffee table or picture books specifically Star Wars related so they’re not going anywhere and some are very valuable collectors editions.

For movies I am mostly all physical media and I stop buying obsolete formats once there exists better tech so I only buy 4K movies and the quality of the physical discs is just superior in every respect. As a home theater enthusiast and filmmaker that matters to me. I redeem the digital copies though of course.

Video games I’m mostly physical media too, but maybe 75-25 there. Too big of downloads and I like having my actual copies since digital doesn’t even give you a discount usually!

Old 10-06-2018, 11:44 AM

1,888 posts, read 617,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHS View Post
Do I still buy physical media?

Yes.

Why?

Because I'm an aging dinosaur who is set in his ways and far too old to change now.

I'm not sure whether to take this response seriously, or as a poke at those us who prefer to actually own our music, physically, and not on a hard drive or renting it, on Spotify or other sources.

Old 10-06-2018, 01:13 PM

Reason I keep adding to the collection (movies and TV seasons) is that at my age my financial situations can go south at any time.

Also I hate OTA TV and when I'm forced to cancel my internet and Prime I'll have the media to play on. I have the Fire stick on my TV.

Old 10-17-2018, 10:39 AM

775 posts, read 224,251 times
Very rarely. The only things we’ve bought in the past two years or so that I can remember are a BluRay of Nightwish in concert, a couple of their CDs, and another BluRay of the movie Ex Machina. We used to buy stuff rather than going out to the movies because we have a nice home theater system and it was cheaper and more comfie than going out. We still have somewhere around 1,200 DVDs and there are plenty we can rewatch again as time goes on.

Old 10-17-2018, 11:17 AM

What I think was a factor in turning people off to CD was that dat-dratted 'jewel case' they sold them in. Seriously! Things were fragile as all, and it was almost impossible to fully insert the little booklet into the top half when done looking at it, without one corner or entire top or bottom sticking out, making it impossible to fully close the damn things.

Plus, the 'spider', the part of the tray you snapped the disc onto to hold it in place, would constantly lose 'teeth'!. You'd open up the jewel case, and the CD would 'automatically' slide out - onto your lap or onto the floor! smh...

Next, the hinge points constantly broke, necessitating gluing them back on or replacing the case altogether(Thank God for Radio Shack - ooh how I miss those folks). I personally have one drawer of my desk serving as a jewel case 'spare parts', with a combination of parts from different cases: tops, bottoms, inner trays, etc, in the case something goes on an existing CD.

Need I mention those ubiquitous simulated wood grain plastic brown media cabinets that were everywhere in the eighties and nineties? They made them for Beta, VHS, audio cassette, and CDs. The ones for CD were ATROCIOUS, because if, going back to that jewel case, if the things weren't snapped shut tighter than a submarine at max depth, you'd be standing there for up to five frickn' minutes lining up the case just so to get the CD into the drawer on one of those cabinets! The tolerance was terrible on them, and it was all too easy to knock one or more of the neighboring CDs out of the cabinet in addition to removing the one you wanted to listen to! Meaning that those CDs might crash to the deck, busting a hinge, and sending top and bottom of jewel case, and CD, in four different directions across the floor!! The only redeeming value of the cabinets was that many of them, across brands, stacked and locked feet sturdily on top of the ones below.

I doubt Millennials and other youngish folk would have the inclination or patience - or a drawer devoted to spare jewel case parts! - to deal with making sure that one hundred things that could possibly go wrong with parts of the case are check-A-OK when switching CDs in and out of machines and in and out of them pesky jewel cases! No wonder they ripped what CDs they had to their hard drives, sold the CDs or brought them in to Goodwill, and just YouTube or Spotify whatever else interests them musically.

Last edited by TheGrandK-Man; 10-17-2018 at 11:54 AM..

Old 10-17-2018, 12:02 PM

The cases used to be built strong but had become flimsy/thinner as years go by.

Old 10-17-2018, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeeGer View Post
The cases used to be built strong but had become flimsy/thinner as years go by.
Hmmm. I experience all the issues I brought up above, with '21' by Adele and my 1984 CD of 'Thriller' by Jackson.

Old 10-17-2018, 02:56 PM

Hmm... must be a mix then. Some I had were solid and some were like floppies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts