Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2019, 01:24 PM

Location: Removing a snake out of the neighbor's washing machine
3,095 posts, read 2,040,022 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
I don't think anyone is. The judgement seems to be of those who don't wish to collect those things. We apparently don't have common sense.
All of human kind's culture - from the Bible to Bieber, digitized in the 'cloud'. Then something happens to the cloud, and large portions of our most significant written, sung, and acted out works, are lost forever.

Or are they still available, on DVDs or boxes of books in the K-Man's basement?

There's your effin' common sense!

Old 02-13-2019, 02:00 PM

16,418 posts, read 12,502,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrandK-Man View Post
All of human kind's culture - from the Bible to Bieber, digitized in the 'cloud'. Then something happens to the cloud, and large portions of our most significant written, sung, and acted out works, are lost forever.

I don't think you understand the cloud. But thanks for the giggle.

Old 02-13-2019, 03:50 PM

Quote:
I don't think you understand the cloud. But thanks for the giggle.
I understand what's REAL - like this big vinyl disc, or that smaller shiny one, or that cardboard thing over there with hundreds of sheets of paper stitched inside it that you have to turn the pages and read to consume it.

Old 02-13-2019, 03:58 PM

2,264 posts, read 1,483,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrandK-Man View Post

No, if the cloud vanished tomorrow, large portions of 'our culture' would not disappear. Why? For the glaringly obvious reason that anyone with so much as an actual ounce of common sense realizes - the cloud is no monopoly on information storage.

If you're so clueless that you think the cloud is going to completely supplant all hard copies, well, I can only pity. It's not. No one - no one - either thinks it will or advocates as much.

If the cloud were to disappear tomorrow (as another poster stated, you obviously haven't the foggiest idea what constitutes the cloud) it would no more impact the contents of 'our culture' than if your house burned down and all the hard media in it were destroyed.

Personally, I have a lot of hard media. But that doesn't mean I'm a fan of inane arguments (whether genuine, or just made for the apparent amusement of being inane).

Old 02-14-2019, 05:19 AM

133 posts, read 173,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by superseiyan View Post
For example, I can "experience" a hit song any time and as often as I want because of YouTube.

....and with crappy sound. At least not full LPCM quality.

Old 02-15-2019, 04:43 AM

961 posts, read 2,026,006 times
There’s as much a chance of “something “ happening to the cloud and you lose your music as there is of losing or scratching a physical CD.

Old 02-15-2019, 04:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tempratt View Post
....and with crappy sound. At least not full LPCM quality.
I get what you mean but YouTube was just an example. There’s Apple Music and Spotify premium with good quality. Especially with upgraded audio equipment. That said I like music but I’m not an audiophile. For an audiophile that will easily detect the difference in quality between a FLAC and high quality AAC or M4A then sure, have the boxes of CDs and records.

Old 02-15-2019, 04:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
I'd rather curl up with a book than a Nook.
I like books too, especially as they are sooo cheap but very few I’d keep permanently. Also what was the gamechanger in ebooks IMO was saving highlights—even from library books. I highlight and take lots of notes when I read, even from fiction 🙂.

Old 02-15-2019, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by superseiyan View Post
I get what you mean but YouTube was just an example. There’s Apple Music and Spotify premium with good quality. Especially with upgraded audio equipment. That said I like music but I’m not an audiophile. For an audiophile that will easily detect the difference in quality between a FLAC and high quality AAC or M4A then sure, have the boxes of CDs and records.
I'm not an audiophile either. I don't need to spend tens of thousands of dollars per component or on speakers, or hundreds per foot of interconnect or wire.

A great performance, and recording of it, will sound great even on 'modest' gear.

I just prefer having physical copies of it in hand, vs everything accessible only on line. I control the edition that I own, and thus which mastering, etc. Remasters have a limited welcome in my collection, about 1 per 100 of my CDs, etc.

Old 02-15-2019, 05:14 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,822,859 times
Quote:
I don't think anyone is. The judgement seems to be of those who don't wish to collect those things. We apparently don't have common sense.

It's a judgment when you say that you dont think "anyone" is buying physical media-- when clearly, people have posted that they are.

I answered the OP long ago, but even the OP's question supposedly not meant as a criticism, certainly sounded like one, with the self-congratulatory pats on the back for not needing to "own" stuff (accessing it is acceptable).

Newsflash: Everyone doesn't have stacks and piles of DVDs strewn about. All of ours are in one 15" × 15" case. If a mess is the only option (or WAS, when physical media was more common), that's their problem.

Memo to OP: Next time, if what you're really after is simply an answer, post a poll. And skip the lofty comments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts