U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-22-2017, 05:09 AM
 
Location: Somewhere in Colorado
106 posts, read 40,750 times
Reputation: 218

Advertisements

I've occasionally found music albums that are more readily available or cheaper when purchased as physical media. The Amazon used market is good for this; DVD's too. Renting a movie via streaming is a little cheaper than a used DVD, but if you watch it twice, the used DVD often wins on cost.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-22-2017, 08:14 AM
 
Location: Island of Misfit Toys
3,776 posts, read 1,345,412 times
Reputation: 2864
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
They actually earn more per album from downloads via iTunes, cdbaby, reverbnation, etc than a physical disc sale these days.
Maybe, but iTunes isn't streaming - it's buying the album. Streaming is the bad where artists are paid pennies for plays while the streamers make millions on subs. Or Youtube where artists get zip.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-22-2017, 09:16 AM
 
753 posts, read 1,379,194 times
Reputation: 309
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonasW View Post
All my music is 'physical'. I would never bother 'buying' air. The sound quality isn't as good and you don't have something tangible, if you know what I mean. Not to mention that streaming is killing musicians. The very people we are listening to. I'll skip that bit of exploitation.
This is actually an interesting topic beyond just music. For me I just put way more value in experiencing stuff than owning stuff. For me owning something tangible on how I experience it's intangible effects.

That said, I may start picking up very select CDs, but just for sentimental value.

The other thing is that I'm quite the minimalist and I don't like having "stuff" around. I trash s@!t ruthlessly!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-22-2017, 12:55 PM
 
3,450 posts, read 1,486,038 times
Reputation: 4766
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonasW View Post
Maybe, but iTunes isn't streaming - it's buying the album. Streaming is the bad where artists are paid pennies for plays while the streamers make millions on subs. Or Youtube where artists get zip.
That would be more akin to a radio play.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-25-2017, 06:58 AM
 
Location: Wonderland
33,553 posts, read 24,418,899 times
Reputation: 45312
I just bought a slide/movie screen and 20 carousel slide holders! Why? Because my dad passed away and I found his old collection of over 2000 slides from the 1960s and 1970s! Many are from VietNam and there are also many from family vacations, when we adopted my brother, when we lived in Japan, etc. They were in the rectangular slide holders, but we had inherited a very nice vintage carousel slide projector from my father in law a few years ago, so the slides needed to be in carousel holders. WHAT A PROJECT. But wow, what a walk down memory lane...

The thing that's so cool about it is that we have to wait till it's dark outside. Then we close the blinds, scroll up the screen (it's also vintage - got it on eBay), turn on the projector, which emits that strange smell that I had totally forgotten from my childhood, and then of course we need popcorn (the old fashioned kind, NO MICROWAVE POPCORN!).

I'll tell you what's really interesting as well - it's funny how your memories kick in. I literally hadn't watched these slides in probably 45 years. I was a little girl - under age 10 in all of them - when these slides were made. And yet, as we went through them, I could remember where nearly every slide was taken, and I could even remember the names of many of the long forgotten friends on these slides!

Another thing I found was several cassette tapes that my dad had made of our family talking - he had sent them to his mom and dad instead of letters, and when they passed away he got them back. Us kids were young school age or toddlers on these tapes and we're on there talking! About just every day stuff, back in the early 1970s. Wow, those memories came flooding back! To hear our childish voices was really amazing. I sounded like a total country hick though.

Anyway, I had to buy a cassette player to play those as well.

I thought all this might make me sad but it didn't - it made me feel happy inside.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-25-2017, 07:25 AM
 
3,127 posts, read 1,289,532 times
Reputation: 10514
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I just bought a slide/movie screen and 20 carousel slide holders! Why? Because my dad passed away and I found his old collection of over 2000 slides from the 1960s and 1970s! Many are from VietNam and there are also many from family vacations, when we adopted my brother, when we lived in Japan, etc. They were in the rectangular slide holders, but we had inherited a very nice vintage carousel slide projector from my father in law a few years ago, so the slides needed to be in carousel holders. WHAT A PROJECT. But wow, what a walk down memory lane...
I had a similar situation with an absolute treasure trove of 8mm family movies. I managed to find a vintage projector and set it up to enjoy all the movies. The only problem was halfway through one of the movies, the projector failed, and burned the film. I quickly stopped viewing the movies, and proceeded to have them all digitized. Now I can enjoy the memories without worries of them being damaged. And I can keep multiple copies and distribute them among family members.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-26-2017, 09:21 AM
 
Location: Wonderland
33,553 posts, read 24,418,899 times
Reputation: 45312
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
I had a similar situation with an absolute treasure trove of 8mm family movies. I managed to find a vintage projector and set it up to enjoy all the movies. The only problem was halfway through one of the movies, the projector failed, and burned the film. I quickly stopped viewing the movies, and proceeded to have them all digitized. Now I can enjoy the memories without worries of them being damaged. And I can keep multiple copies and distribute them among family members.

Good idea.

I'm probably going to go through the thousands of slides and choose about 200 to actually digitalize. Maybe 500, I don't know, but I'd like to do that. I got some pricing and there's a wide range of pricing out there. I'm mulling options over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-26-2017, 10:06 AM
 
3,127 posts, read 1,289,532 times
Reputation: 10514
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Good idea.

I'm probably going to go through the thousands of slides and choose about 200 to actually digitalize. Maybe 500, I don't know, but I'd like to do that. I got some pricing and there's a wide range of pricing out there. I'm mulling options over.
Be sure to check sites like Groupon. It was insanely expensive to transfer 8mm movies to digital, but I found a great deal on Groupon that reduced it to something like 70% off.

One example
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-26-2017, 10:30 AM
 
72 posts, read 42,884 times
Reputation: 106
I'm pretty much all digital now, although I will make the odd exception for things I really like and either want to support or don't easily have a digital copy available. I bought Star Wars Episode 7 on Blu-Ray and just picked up the Futurama box set on Amazon when it was on sale, because I want to know I have a hard copy of those things when I want them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-26-2017, 10:44 AM
 
Location: Omaha, Nebraska
4,187 posts, read 1,960,503 times
Reputation: 9236
I still buy DVDs and Blu-ray disks, and paper books (although I also have a Netflix subscription and a Kindle library). To me, streaming is too ephemeral to rely on (and much of what I want to watch isn't even available to be streamed), and I prefer reading a physical book to an electronic screen (although being able to carry an entire library on a smartphone or tablet is nice when traveling).

Long live physical media!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top