U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2017, 10:04 PM

375 posts, read 96,939 times

Advertisements

I haven't bought music in a while, but a used CD was still a lower price than any download I saw, last time I checked. I avoid anything with a monthly fee.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2017, 10:14 PM

7,912 posts, read 5,144,389 times
DH - cd's (especially cheap from Goodwill or other stores)/ dvd's - for movies that we have really liked. Some magazines.

Me - I usually get my music off iTunes but I have bought an occasional cd and/or DVDs if it's a gift for family.
The occasional magazine.

Old 06-14-2017, 01:42 PM

6,418 posts, read 4,770,627 times
I love actual paper books. I take a certain pleasure in turning actual pages, over reading on a tablet or something. I occasionally buy magazines. I like to buy DVDs or bluray disks, because I fret about a movie I like one day not being available on streaming services, since they change their offerings so much. And I don't have the tech to store files of whole movies or play them to my TV. I buy music mp3s mostly. I do buy CDs of my favorite bands and indie bands that I love and want to support, that kind of thing. Not mainstream music though. I check Amazon mp3 before I will get a CD of anything.

Old 06-14-2017, 03:29 PM

6,831 posts, read 4,743,880 times
I buy Blu-ray/DVDs of movies that I saw at the theatre that are good enough for me to own, not really that many...the latest one was Moana. The next one is Kong-Skull Island. Every now and then a movie that I liked from several years ago will pop in my mind and I will go to Amazon and order. I don't buy CDs anymore unless they are the greatest hits from great artists from the past, i.e., Elton John, Michael Jackson, Aretha Franklin, BeeGees or any Motown great.

I just haven't adapted to streaming movies to buy.

Old 06-16-2017, 08:42 PM

3,435 posts, read 2,283,617 times
Around Christmas season, I'll get a couple of recipe or home craft magazines. The photo sections are luscious. Also inspirational for the season. Otherwise, I think I'm about 99% electronic. I cut the TV cord. Eveything I need's online now.

Old 06-16-2017, 08:46 PM

7,600 posts, read 3,301,117 times
Up until very recently I liked to buy some DVDs or Blue-rays but now I see that the movies I really love come up from time to time on my streaming services so I'm not going to buy any anymore. I'm going to reduce my collection to absolute favs and free up that space.

Old 06-17-2017, 10:18 AM

46 posts, read 15,882 times
For me it depends on what physical media you are talking about.

CDs -- I buy mp3 music. I like it better to put the music all in one spot like iPod or mp3 player rather than buy all those CDs and dragging the big black case that holds all the discs with me everywhere. I still buy CDs though, but its limited. The CDs I do buy, its soundtracks, greatest hits, and albums that I can't download on either iTunes or Amazon (for whatever reason its not on there, so I need to buy CD).

DVDs (TV Shows) -- I would rather watch TV shows on Netflix and Hulu. I just want to watch episode once and thats all. So I feel like I am wasting money just to buy the season, watch it once, and then keep it on bookshelf or wherever. If something is not on Netflix or Hulu, I see if library has the DVD to use.

DVDs (Movies) -- My answer is similar to TV shows. I just want to watch the movie once, so I try Netflix and Hulu first. I have better outcome with TV shows than movies on there. Lots of movies I still get DVD for (if library has it) because its not on Netflix or Hulu when I want to watch it. I just want to watch the movie once, so library is good for that. If I feel like watching the movie again (on rare occasions) I see if library still has DVD. The most I have ever watched a movie was 2 or 3 times. By how much I watch the movies, its not worth buying DVDs - I feel like I would be wasting money. The only time I ever bought DVD within past few years was 3-4 DVDs last year in 2016 because Netflix/Hulu didn't have movie, and library never had it in circulation anywhere.

Books -- I used to read books all the time, and read it multiple times. So I benefited from buying books. I had a whole collection at one time. Now years later, I never picked up any of those books. Maybe in at least 5 years or so. When I looked through to see if I would read any of them again, most went out. First I tried online, and whatever didn't sell after a while I donated to library (I don't really care what library does with the books. I don't need the books anymore. Sell them for all I care if not going into circulation). Now I rarely buy books. Only time I bought books within past few years was last year in 2016 because library didn't have it in circulation where - bought 5 or 6 books.

Magazines -- I bought magazines in grammar school, but not since then. Just no need to read them. Only time I bought since grammar school was 2-3 times and it was photography magazine. Don't even know if I still have it anywhere.

Old 06-18-2017, 05:59 AM

640 posts, read 2,486,248 times
I still buy books and havve a membership to Barnes and Noble because I get some mother-daughter time with my teen daughter who still loves to go there.

I know the books might be more expensive sometimes than Amazon, but I love to browse and that's the last chain book store around. I can't imagine doing all my shopping online, pretty soon no one will leave their house.

We also frequent Half-Price Books which sells used books, games (even old board games/toys) DVDs, etc.

Old 07-16-2017, 03:41 PM

15 posts, read 5,440 times
Personal I don't. Not that I have a problem with 'physical' copies, I just literally have nothing to play them on. Plus it's just another piece of clutter in my house.

Old 07-16-2017, 09:05 PM

10,579 posts, read 5,916,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Who puts naked DVDs on a shelf? A DVD in a case is a lot thicker than 1.2 mm and a thousand of them will take up much more than 4 feet of shelf space.

Yes, It's clutter.
First, you don't stack them naked - you put them in a plastic sleeve, which is narrower that the DVD itself and weighs even less.

Second, I don't own a thousand - I own a few dozen. I have a house. I have many thousands of pounds worth of furniture, books, appliances, shoes and clothes, and various other assorted items. Sorry, the idea that I can't handle a few dozen DVDs - or that I couldn't handle 1000 of them, and the 8 or so pounds they'd weigh - is absurd.

"Gee, I'd really love to see La Notte in the original Italian, but I can't stream it anywhere and if I bought it then I'd have to find somewhere to store the 1.2mm-thick DVD with its 0.8mm-thick sleeve, and combined the two would weigh a whopping 28 grams, and the clutter would just reduce my life to chaos!"

Um... no.

I have a large shelf in my living room with eight large cubby holes in it. One of those cubbies holds all 50 or so of my DVDs (sleeves included!) along with a few ancient CD box sets I still have.

Somehow, I cope...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts