Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2017, 10:44 AM

1,619 posts, read 1,100,500 times

Advertisements

If it's something I really like, I will buy the dvd/cd. Anyway, if the internet goes down for an extended period of time, like weeks or months, what are you going to do for tv, movies and music? You can't stream if there is no internet. I keep dvds and a mp3 player around for backup just in case. LOL

Old 04-26-2017, 03:35 PM

19,798 posts, read 9,336,681 times
I like the physical feel of a book, and I don't like the hassle of renting DVD's. However the MAIN reason I buy books is because I don't want bookstores to go out of business because I enjoy browsing in bookstores and seeing what's new, and that is easier to do when one doesn't know what one is actually looking for.

Also, I am a "traditionalist" and not ashamed to be!

Old 04-29-2017, 10:22 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whocares811 View Post
I like the physical feel of a book, and I don't like the hassle of renting DVD's. However the MAIN reason I buy books is because I don't want bookstores to go out of business because I enjoy browsing in bookstores and seeing what's new, and that is easier to do when one doesn't know what one is actually looking for.

Also, I am a "traditionalist" and not ashamed to be!
I feel the same way about book stores - and all stores.

I do not buy anything online if it's easily accessible in a "real" store I can walk into and support - and if locally owned, even better.

I do buy used books on Amazon, but I go to bookstores regularly and try to buy at least one book each time I go.

I have a Kindle and very occasionally a book will have such small print that I prefer reading it on the Kindle, but that's rare. And once in awhile, I've ordered a very large, heavy book on my Kindle because it's literally physically difficult to read a very thick, heavy book. But nearly always, the real thing is what I want. A real book. Love them.

Old 04-29-2017, 04:32 PM

12,162 posts, read 2,959,937 times
Permanency. What you buy in physical form is more durable if you ask me. We still have a VCR that we can watch tapes on. You do realize your digital media's lifespan is only as long as the devices it can be saved to, don't you? If you don't migrate or upgrade whatever you have saved goes bye bye when you can't access it. There will always be VCRs, DVD players. There are even still record players and 8 track machines if you know where to look for them. Heck there are antique Victrolas.

Old 04-30-2017, 03:55 PM

16,414 posts, read 12,487,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PegE View Post
Permanency. What you buy in physical form is more durable if you ask me. We still have a VCR that we can watch tapes on. You do realize your digital media's lifespan is only as long as the devices it can be saved to, don't you? If you don't migrate or upgrade whatever you have saved goes bye bye when you can't access it. There will always be VCRs, DVD players. There are even still record players and 8 track machines if you know where to look for them. Heck there are antique Victrolas.
Who gets a new device without transferring their existing files??

Old 05-01-2017, 08:58 PM

9,368 posts, read 6,967,418 times
Yes I still only by CDs or records from music stores.

1 - I support local independent music shops (typically used) - the gray whale and Randy's records!!!
2 - I'm old school and when I buy something I prefer to have a physical copy. I rip all CDs and store in wave format. I have a 512gig ssd mobile playing device that takes my collection with me.

I'm also getting into R2R as well so analog ftw.

Old 05-02-2017, 02:09 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,825,082 times
YES!!!!!!!

Analog is the best

Old 05-04-2017, 03:34 PM

545 posts, read 411,243 times
This is actually 2 questions you are asking.
1. For Movies/TV/Music, are you either buying a plastic disc (physical media) or are you buying a digital download?
and
2. Instead of buying any copy of said media, are you just streaming it though Netflix/Pandora/Spotify instead?

To answer the first question, yes and no (I like CD's but sometimes I just download from iTunes) and occasionally buy digital copies of movies and TV shows, but I do like the idea of buying the Blu-Ray and getting a digital copy of the movie too.

To answer the second question, I do buy copies of songs I like -either CD or digital - because I like to think that the artist might actually see some profit from it (as opposed to streaming services where the artists supposedly earn jack s***.) As far as movies and TV go, I have yet to see a "bulletproof" streaming service (where a certain movie or TV is guaranteed to be there forever). If there's a TV show or movie I like, I want to be able to access it whenever I want, and not have it be subject to the whims of the Netflix programming department whether it will be available in the future.

Old 05-04-2017, 07:47 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,804,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by superseiyan View Post
This is more of a poll, and it isn't intended as a criticsm--rather I'm curious whether you're still buying discs (Music, Video Games, Movies) and if so why you are.
I buy the occasional DVD. I like a lot of old movies - if I want to see some Russian film from the 1950s, I'm probably not going to be able to stream it. But I just might find a used copy for sale. Usually Netflix will have the DVD, so I just get it from there. I'll often buy the films that I want to watch over and over. The Big Lebowski. The Seventh Seal. Five Easy Pieces. Once Upon A Time In The West. Life's too short not to spend $10 for the convenience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by superseiyan View Post
For me with all the streaming available for Anime, Music, and services like NEtflix for films, I just find it hard to justify the physical clutter caused by owning discs anymore.
Clutter? A DVD is 1.2 mm thick and weighs 16 grams. A thousand of them take up less than four feet of shelf space and weigh less than four pounds. Clutter is the last of my worries.

Old 05-05-2017, 08:57 AM

16,414 posts, read 12,487,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
Clutter? A DVD is 1.2 mm thick and weighs 16 grams. A thousand of them take up less than four feet of shelf space and weigh less than four pounds. Clutter is the last of my worries.
Who puts naked DVDs on a shelf? A DVD in a case is a lot thicker than 1.2 mm and a thousand of them will take up much more than 4 feet of shelf space.

Yes, It's clutter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts