Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2013, 08:40 AM

961 posts, read 2,025,881 times

Advertisements

This is more of a poll, and it isn't intended as a criticsm--rather I'm curious whether you're still buying discs (Music, Video Games, Movies) and if so why you are.

For me with all the streaming available for Anime, Music, and services like NEtflix for films, I just find it hard to justify the physical clutter caused by owning discs anymore. Furthermore, I just have a philosophical outlook on life in which "owning" stuff is overrated, I prefer experiencing stuff. For example, I can "experience" a hit song any time and as often as I want because of YouTube. I don't have to "own" the song.....

I do own one Anime Series, a few hip-hop CDs from the 1990s, and the Batman Trilogy (will add Fast & Furious collection soon) but that's only because those for me have unlimited replayability.

For those of you who are still buying how do you approach your physical purchases?

Old 12-31-2013, 07:09 PM

41,953 posts, read 75,167,069 times
No waiting to download, register, etc.
Portability
Permanence -- actual or perceived

Quote:
Originally Posted by superseiyan View Post
I can "experience" a hit song any time and as often as I want because of YouTube.
In other words, you "experience" it for free, at the expense of the artist.

Old 12-31-2013, 07:31 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,742,671 times
I don't want to buy game dvds anymore because online accounts and downloads reduced all that clutter. If you can watch any movie streamed affordably then I would not buy another dvd, unless I wanted to use that dvd in my minivan's dvd player. But for a few of the best songs I still prefer to have a cd than a high bit rate mp3, as this would sound better on my mid fi stereo system.

I now have too many possession and think about not buying anymore stuff because it's just too much clutter.

Old 12-31-2013, 07:35 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,347,350 times
I buy blurays.

*shrug*

Old 12-31-2013, 07:47 PM

3,201 posts, read 4,409,110 times
yes.

i buy blurays and/or dvds of shht i like and want to own

i still have my old music collection from the junior high and high school days... got cases of cd, cassetes and lps

i have still bought in recent years physical music cds of underground artist i like, but it very few because alot of trash is out there

bought some mp3 singles thru amazon & itunes too

Old 01-01-2014, 11:33 AM

10,855 posts, read 6,368,927 times
Do I still buy physical media ?
No-I don't have the funds to purchase entertainment.
Also, I'm trying to keep clutter/possessions from overtaking my small apt.

With DSL I can watch tv shows online.
I converted my mixtapes (made off radio over past few decades)
into mp3s so I can play them on my iTunes.
For reading, I go to the library & check out books & mags.

Old 01-02-2014, 09:57 AM

3,051 posts, read 3,279,256 times
The only thing I buy that is physical media is books. I like the weight of them, and the way the pages feel between my fingers. I know I can just download them onto my iPad or Nook, and for books that I don't want cluttering up my house as well as textbooks, I usually do that if I can. However, when it comes to a book that I absolutely want to keep on my bookshelf, I definitely still buy them.

Anything else: movies, music, etc. is digitized. I'll watch it on Hulu or Netflix, I'll listen to it on my iPod, iTunes, Pandora, or Spotify. CDs are a pain in the butt and I hate how the cases crack. Thank god for the 21st century.

Old 01-02-2014, 11:52 AM

48 posts, read 111,356 times
No. I realized a while ago that I don't watch the DVD/Bluray movies I buy after the first week or two. Once it leaves my DVD player, it never goes back.

I prefer streaming or things on my hard drive so I can watch it any time I feel like without having to deal with swapping disks. The quality is supposed to be not as good from what I heard, but worth it for the convenience.

Old 01-02-2014, 11:56 AM

2,754 posts, read 7,421,472 times
I buy games still.

I haven't bought CDs in who knows how long, maybe a decade now...maybe.
I haven't bought a blu-ray or dvd in maybe a year. Maybe less. I don't plan on buying any soon, but having a movie on disc seems to have more ownership and permanence to me.
Most of the movies I have bought since DVDs were popular were some of my favorites. I tended to buy less of the so-so movies.

Old 01-02-2014, 12:13 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,011,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by superseiyan View Post

For those of you who are still buying how do you approach your physical purchases?
Usually head on, although I've been known to back into a deal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.