U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2014, 03:29 PM

5,819 posts, read 5,183,204 times

Advertisements

I hunted for a subforum on real theater (live, not movie theaters) and didn't find one without going deeper and deeper into history, so I just decided to start a new thread on the topic.

Anyway, I moved to a wonderful small community which has two live theaters - one with its own theater company and the other which brings in small shows.

So a new play is opening and I started thinking about what performance night is best for a limited run play. This one runs for about two weeks.

Do others think that there is a "best" night for seeing a play?

Opening night?
Closing night?
Midweek?
Matinee?

I dislike matinees because it's so disconcerting to go from the darkened world of the theater out into the bright sunlight of reality. But on the other hand, since I usually go to the theater alone, matinees feel like less of a "couples" thing.

I'm thinking the "don't know what you're going to get" of opening night might be the most fun. Or, is it better when things have smoothed down, or during the hightened emotions of closing nights?

Love to hear from others who love live theater.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2014, 09:06 AM

4,760 posts, read 3,192,317 times
I LOVE theatre. In fact, I pretty much grew-up in it. My mother used to work at theatres and I did summer stock one year. LOVE IT!!!

I have worked on shows from time to time but now days, I just enjoy it in the audience. For us, we usually go to the matinee. That way we get out fairly early.

Cat

Old 03-15-2014, 09:49 PM

10,813 posts, read 8,061,664 times
Another one here that loves live theatre.

I try to avoid opening nights, prefer to go to 2nd or 3rd performances. When I really enjoy a performance, I often return a 2nd time to see it again. Matinees or evenings, doesn't matter.

Old 03-21-2014, 12:19 PM

4,153 posts, read 7,953,686 times
We enjoy live Theater plays. Our last play we saw was opening night of the "Spelling Bee" last week at the Ford's Theater in Washington D.C...the same theater Lincoln was assassinated in. Anyhow, we prefer weekend nights at the theater and generally opening night but will sometimes wait till close to closing night on more popular plays.

Old 03-21-2014, 07:42 PM

6,413 posts, read 10,388,170 times
Big live theater fan here, too.

I have always preferred seeing plays on weeknights. It always feels like audiences on the opening, closing, and weekend nights are filled with more people who are there to be seen, not necessarily to see the play. Sunday nights were good, too, because they generally start an hour earlier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or