Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2014, 03:11 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,946,672 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
That's assuming there's a fountain in the lobby. I've never seen one at any of the theaters around here.
A previous poster referenced getting a drink at the fountain. Of course, absent a fountain, or bubbler if you like, you could fill your bottle from the sink in the rest room. Yes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2014, 03:24 PM

5,570 posts, read 7,268,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
A previous poster referenced getting a drink at the fountain. Of course, absent a fountain, or bubbler if you like, you could fill your bottle from the sink in the rest room. Yes?
The thought makes me really queasy.

Old 05-28-2014, 03:34 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,601,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Buying snacks at the movie theater seems to be one of those things that people either do, or don't (and those who don't can get quite heated about it, like the guy who tried to sue a theater)

I've been with friends that refused to buy snacks and instead sneaked in food from the outside. I can understand those who refuse to buy anything, since the cost of drinks and snacks have huge markups.

Myself, I don't mind buying the soda and popcorn. To me it's part of the movie going experience, and I don't begrudge theater owners from trying to make money. After all, no one's forcing me to buy anything at the theater besides the admission ticket.
I don't really like movie food, so I either don't eat there or I'll buy the overpriced $7 nachos if I'm hungry. I don't bring my own food because I don't feel the need to eat while watching movies. I do, however, ALWAYS bring my own bottled water because I refuse to pay $5 for theirs.

Old 05-28-2014, 03:49 PM

4,040 posts, read 2,708,740 times
Yep! I just consider it part of the experience

Old 05-28-2014, 03:52 PM

7,800 posts, read 10,102,524 times
I always get soda and popcorn ... it's part of the "going to the movies" experience. It just wouldent be complete without a bucket of extra buttery popcorn and a soda.

I do have family members who will not only sneak food in but will also buy soda/popcorn/candy/pretzels & cheese from the theater refreshment stand. Personally I would rather give them the money then try and sneak something in, every so often some theaters will check patrons.

Old 05-28-2014, 03:56 PM

8,238 posts, read 10,721,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
I don't. I never had a problem going a couple of hours without eating.
Im sure we all can...

For me it is just all part of the experience. Pretty much why people eat at any type of event

Old 05-28-2014, 08:01 PM

2,898 posts, read 6,346,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
And yeah, the prices are outrageous. But we all know that going in, and at least for me, actually seeing a movie in the theaters is a special occasion. So why not? It's like buying a sandwich at the airport - of course you could get one for 1/3 the price at a deli nearby, but you're paying a premium for convenience and circumstances. Unless we're talking about something expensive like a touristy sweatshirt or electronic devices, the markup will only set you back a few dollars anyway. I'm a thrifty person at times, but not SO cheap I'd rather starve than shell out another $2.
You're right, but I guess the way I look at it is... I don't need to eat to watch a movie, even at home. And, in times when $ was tight & I only had $20 to spend, I could see 1 movie & get popcorn/Coke or see 2 movies. I'd rather do the latter.

It's like when I'm overcharged for something & will stand in line for 5-min to get back my $2... I feel it's worth it as that $2 just bought me a coffee. Woo hoo... I live large, Gizmo.

Old 05-28-2014, 08:28 PM

8,495 posts, read 4,158,411 times
Default Queasy

Quote:
You reminded me of what I saw in a bakery once. There was a plastic water dispenser and cups on the counter. One day while enjoying lunch and my cup of water from the dispenser, I saw a worker lift the dispenser thing and take it down the hall in the direction of the bathroom. That kind of ruined my appetite because why was the dispenser being taken there. I have never used the bathroom there and I am hoping that there is a separate room inside the bathroom that has a sink dedicated to filling the dispenser. I tried to think of better images, but I never took water from the dispenser again. Aren't there public health policies about separation between kitchen and bathroom?

Old 05-28-2014, 09:04 PM

6,471 posts, read 6,670,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
Quote:
If water from a bathroom sink is disgusting, unsanitary, or otherwise not safe to drink, then no one should use it to wash their hands. Or brush their teeth.

Old 05-28-2014, 09:16 PM

1,514 posts, read 2,119,307 times
Since the movie theater I go to started selling fried items like chicken fingers and fries, will sometimes buy that with a drink. When I go though, I'm almost always astonished what's considered a small drink. To me it looks like a large. And don't me started on medium.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts