Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2014, 07:23 PM

17,619 posts, read 17,665,401 times

Advertisements

I've begun to notice that on many TV programs it seems everyone is drinking alcohol (wine or beer) with their meal. Has anyone else notice this? Is it really this common for people to have alcoholic drinks with their meals (lunch & dinner)? Even when I did drink, I never drank as much as what I see on TV/movies. I understand using booze in comedies, especially when it comes to college students. But in some cases it seems they go out of their way to introduce alcohol into the story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2014, 01:27 AM

18,527 posts, read 18,748,986 times
Hadnt really noticed... but what I cant stand is this acting while eating.. it seems to be required to see someone munching while trying to talk at the same time.. I find it very annoying and not required..

Old 07-25-2014, 10:57 AM

2,794 posts, read 2,933,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
Hadnt really noticed... but what I cant stand is this acting while eating.. it seems to be required to see someone munching while trying to talk at the same time.. I find it very annoying and not required..
Don't watch Ocean's Eleven and specifically Brad Pitt's character. He purposely wanted his character to be eating some sort of food in almost all of his scenes, lol.

Old 07-26-2014, 10:10 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,013,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
I've begun to notice that on many TV programs it seems everyone is drinking alcohol (wine or beer) with their meal. Has anyone else notice this? Is it really this common for people to have alcoholic drinks with their meals (lunch & dinner)? Even when I did drink, I never drank as much as what I see on TV/movies. I understand using booze in comedies, especially when it comes to college students. But in some cases it seems they go out of their way to introduce alcohol into the story.
I watch all of the Law and Orders in re-runs and the detectives and their respective bosses are always eating Chinese, pizza or hot dogs (from the street vendors). Of course, all take place in NYC. The DA's on the other hand are drinking and eating at restaurants or in their offices.

Old 07-27-2014, 05:02 PM

12,420 posts, read 3,231,835 times
On The Good Wife it seems that Alicia always has a drink in her hand.

Old 07-27-2014, 11:31 PM

411 posts, read 416,195 times
I know that it's very European to have wine with a meal.

On a similar issue, it used to annoy me to watch TV shows where people sit down in a cafe / eatery and order food and drink and then they either a) storm off before eating and/or paying, or b) don't touch their meal at all.

Who the hell does that? You put a burger in front of me and I'll eat it - even if it's plastic!

Old 08-02-2014, 10:13 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,940,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildOnions View Post

On a similar issue, it used to annoy me to watch TV shows where people sit down in a cafe / eatery and order food and drink and then they either a) storm off before eating and/or paying, or b) don't touch their meal at all.

Who the hell does that? You put a burger in front of me and I'll eat it - even if it's plastic!
I've never understood why people do that in restaurants on movies. It's a strange film cliché.

Old 08-03-2014, 12:24 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,654,429 times
Running away from food placed in front of you is definitely dysfunctional! Or, shows where they take a bite or two and say they're "done" eating, they have something important to do, or the phone rings, or blah blah happens. I mean, you paid for your meal, it's good, now eat it!!

Old 08-03-2014, 08:06 PM

1,248 posts, read 1,383,530 times
My motto nowadays "if it they show it on tv, turn the other way". Meaning whatever they show people eating. It is a delusion. The reason why people are skinny, trim, fit, etc. Is because they are always ( and have been since forever ) on a diet.

About drinking. Drinking in real life; does not make the things that occur in media happen. When it does; you feel the affects of drinking; BUT YOU DON'T KNOW IT. So they create a false reality of the EFFECTS OF DRINKING. From young adults becoming traumatized or fainting. To just plain hospital or death.

Seriously some races are unable to hold their liker. That is why they show bs about drinking. I am not going to go into drinking logic; but what they show in films, animations, and media is false.

Alcohol is poison still.

Old 08-05-2014, 05:24 PM

10,855 posts, read 6,370,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildOnions View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoEagle View Post
I've never understood why people do that in restaurants on movies. It's a strange film cliché.
^
These are what I notice, repeatedly, in film/tv.
Astounds me the way people abandon their pricey (and paid for already) drinks/eats, often having only taken a swig or a bite. It strikes me as incredibly, ridiculously, unrealistic.
Yes, I know tv/movies are fake, but that particular detail esp. irks me, it makes it all the more difficult to "suspend disbelief" and stay in the story being woven/portrayed.

Yes, I agree that consumption of alcohol seems ubiquitous, too...almost as if it were a fashion accessory
Don't know if that overestimates the drinking behavior of the audience, or if the content providers are attempting to create greater verisimilitude/authenticity.
Perhaps it's being used for dramatic effect, to move the plot along, or to tell us something about the characters ?
Alcohol, because it is legal and socially accepted/approved, stands in for (in media depictions) other kinds of drugs that aren't shown/dealt with (rx'd pills, pot, whatever).
At least on mainstream channels/networks/programs. That's just my theory, though...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts