U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2014, 08:53 AM

3,751 posts, read 3,486,636 times

Advertisements

Particularly the late 90s? I was born in 1990 so I was a kid in the 90s and early 00s and I don't notice a large difference between fashion, attitudes and music in 2014 and fashions in say 1998. I say 1998 because I do think the early and mid 90s were quite different from today and even from the late 90s due to being pre-Internet and still having a lot of similarities to the 80s. BUT even some early 90s culture like sagging pants is similar to today. I'm not saying that everyone is still obsessed with the song "Closing Time" or getting jiggy with it, but 1998-2014 just doesn't seem as vast as similar spans further back in the past.

Back in 1998, everything about 1982 seemed extremely outdated. The slang, the music, the clothes, you name it. Nobody wanted to have to do anything with the 80s then - it was the epitome of uncool.

I just don't notice the same attitude today about 1998. Of course some of it may be the fact we worship retro in the 20th century while in the 90s and before we bashed it, but I think 90s culture is loved partially because it is quite similar to today's culture. My younger siblings were born in 1999, 2001 and 2003 and view 90s pop culture as their own. People have largely similar haircuts and clothing tastes and the music is somewhat similar, at least compared to how different 1998 music was to music from 1982. I could definitely see Justin Bieber, Katy Perry and Miley Cyrus being from the same decade as Aaron Carter and the Spice Girls.

The Simpsons and South Park are not only still in production but are still extremely popular and viewed by many as still being relevant and fresh. Actually the Simpsons started in 1989 so this is comparable to if I Dream of Jeannie (an early 1970s show) was still one of the hottest television programs of the mid-1990s. I think it's a sign of cultural stagnation even if the Simpsons doesn't really feel quite the same as it used to.

I'd say politically our values are still more or less 90s values too with the Left championing identity politics, the Right championing Christianity and militarism and both sides embracing globalization and the free market. You would have thought the crash of 2007-08 would have been somewhat of a blow to the "End of History" but it seems like we are still living in greedy times Actually in that sense, I'd argue it's the 80s that never ended.

What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2014, 12:19 AM

Any thoughts?

Old 08-23-2014, 07:25 AM

8,910 posts, read 4,847,166 times
Only if one came from that era, I would say. It may have felt uncool to you in 1998......but I was close to 40 then and didn't care about cool. As such, items from previous decades I still use if they are useful to me. I still have oodles and oodles of leg warmers, and use them...........if it's cold.

As it was, when I was 8, I really didn't know that much about the 50s with one major exception; get to that in a moment. I wasn't allowed to watch that much TV, so I didn't see that many reruns, and the 60's with the space race was moving pretty fast anyhow.

The major exception? I didn't know that the military technology I was seeing in movies, on TV such as with "McHale's Navy" were items of the past. That battleships and PT boats were no more. I thought a Centurion tank was a modern design.....and the Churchill was on the same level. When you are seeing snippets and don't know where to place them, don't know that much of where they come from, it's rather easy to place them in the same time with you.

Personally, there may have been only 2, maybe 3 episodes of "The Simpsons" that I've had the displeasure to see completely. I can't stand the show and really fail to understand how so many millions can be so enthusiastic about it........or fear because I do understand.

Basically, I believe when one is young, they want things to be of their own time but as one gets older, they believe the current time is not that great and they want to get back to things in the past.

Old 08-23-2014, 02:45 PM

3,280 posts, read 3,554,150 times
The early '90s were different for sure, but sense 1998 or so technological advances have visibly slowed down while speeding up behind the scenes.

It used to feel like the world was moving so fast. People got new computers every year in the late 90s/early 00s. Now, most people have probably had the same computer for at least 3 years.

Old 09-04-2014, 03:04 PM

1,721 posts, read 1,173,401 times
Everyone was using CRT monitors for their TV sets, computers, and so on. Now everyon has flat screen displays.

Old 09-04-2014, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STB93 View Post
Everyone was using CRT monitors for their TV sets, computers, and so on. Now everyon has flat screen displays.
I see that as a pretty superficial difference. I mean people watch the same kinds of shows on their TVs so why does it matter what their TV looks like?

Old 09-05-2014, 09:51 AM

3,280 posts, read 3,554,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valsteele View Post
I see that as a pretty superficial difference. I mean people watch the same kinds of shows on their TVs so why does it matter what their TV looks like?
There is a big difference. A 240hz 65" 1080p LED screen will crush anything from 10 or 20 years ago.

Old 09-08-2014, 06:10 AM

7 posts, read 13,404 times
Interesting viewpoint, OP. There are similarities, but also significant differences. In 1998, the culture was not as diluted as it is today. Now you have so many choices, yet in a way I feel as if the quality of what's being put out there is lesser than in past decades.

I'd say today's culture is not as unifying for society as it was before. The Internet definitely played a part in that, and as you know it wasn't nearly as significant of an agent in 1998.

Also, I feel as if there were still good values in entertainment up until the early 90s or so, something happened in the 90s to strip those values away. You know, at some point everything had to be edgy and "shock" in the later 90s. Nowadays it's wishy-washy and rather mindless, or gritty and gloomy for the sake of being realistic.

Old 09-10-2014, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InquiringMinds5 View Post
Interesting viewpoint, OP. There are similarities, but also significant differences. In 1998, the culture was not as diluted as it is today. Now you have so many choices, yet in a way I feel as if the quality of what's being put out there is lesser than in past decades.

I'd say today's culture is not as unifying for society as it was before. The Internet definitely played a part in that, and as you know it wasn't nearly as significant of an agent in 1998.

Also, I feel as if there were still good values in entertainment up until the early 90s or so, something happened in the 90s to strip those values away. You know, at some point everything had to be edgy and "shock" in the later 90s. Nowadays it's wishy-washy and rather mindless, or gritty and gloomy for the sake of being realistic.
Yeah the late 90s were very into that whole "shock jock" thing which lasted into the early 00s but I think has declined a lot. People seem even more ironic and self-aware now than they did even then, though.

Old 09-14-2014, 02:44 PM

1,721 posts, read 1,173,401 times
The Simpsons is still going on. So that would probably be a shocker to anyone on who is in the 1990s. I still really enjoy that show.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or