U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2014, 12:39 PM

235 posts, read 394,710 times

Advertisements

EAP, I'm curious where you would have gotten the impression that Walter White was ever a character either written as or received by the audience as someone deserving admiration? If you ever decide to check it out, you will see that was never the intent, nor the case. Let us know if you opinion changes after watching the show.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2014, 02:50 PM

8,861 posts, read 8,996,318 times
I'll do that.

Old 10-02-2014, 05:35 PM

8,656 posts, read 8,646,494 times
I think that television reflects the public mood more than vice versa. Since a lot of people are cynical and mistrust those in authority, there will be a lot of television shows that reflect that.

Old 10-04-2014, 02:15 AM

8,914 posts, read 4,854,567 times
And people like to rake me over the coals for having my own massive personal library of books, old movies, and old music.....in old media no less.

By the way, who is Walter White?

Well, the thing is, as long as people are watching this stuff and buying the stuff from the commercials, it is "okay".

But there will really be a problem when massive amounts of people say, "no more" and no longer buy.......one way or the other.

Ie,

"Yes, I know a stalker died! It had to happen sooner or later![pause] Well, it is a contact sport, okay? You want ratings. You want people in front of the television instead of picket lines. Well, you're not gonna get that with re-runs of Gilligan's Island"--Damon, "The Running Man"

Old 10-04-2014, 10:40 AM

8,656 posts, read 8,646,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
By the way, who is Walter White?

The lead character on Breaking Bad.

Old 10-04-2014, 10:46 AM

3,751 posts, read 3,489,558 times
I definitely notice a lot more hardcore gore on TV compared to past decades. Movies seem the same though, maybe a bit tamer even.

Old 10-04-2014, 11:55 AM

8,914 posts, read 4,854,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
The lead character on Breaking Bad.
Ah, well, never seen it and I'm not going to watch it.

One of the things my parents ingrained in me was not to watch shows that glorify crime, so I try not to. It's not always easy, I'm sure I watch at least one show that is for certain on the wrong side, but for the most part, no.

Old 10-05-2014, 01:56 AM

302 posts, read 158,402 times
It really hasn't declined as much as you seem to think.

Game of Thrones, Fargo, the Colbert Report, various documentaries, Breaking Bad etc. are all good shows. The reason why there are so many reality shows is they are often guaranteed to make a quick buck due to their almost absent production costs. They won't be remembered, just as the trash produced during earlier generations won't be remembered.

An increase in violence and sex isn't necessarily a bad thing in shows and movies, only when it is senseless. If it is used to advance the plot or drive a point home there is no reason to censor it just because someone might be offended by it.

Old 10-05-2014, 08:09 PM

30,573 posts, read 9,141,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omatic View Post
Hey, Televison hasn't completely turned to trash. Have you seen Fargo, Game of Thrones, Big Bang Theory, American Horror Story? Those are decent shows!

I do agree on the movie part though. I love horror movies, especially 80s/90s ones: Chucky, Freddy, Michael. The quality of horror movies made today is low. Final Destination series is good, but other movies like the Saw series and Paranormal Activity are ok to watch once but that's it. I can watch those old 80s movies over and over again. The fact that 50 Shades of Grey is being released soon says it all about the movie industry.

Huh? I'm actually laughing. The only one of those shows I've watched is American Horror Story. If that's what passes for "decent" today we are in trouble, indeed.

I've always been a fan of the macabre genre, so I was happy to tune in. I didn't, however expect to see randy reverends, a nympho nun m--------ing against a crucifix while singing "You Don't Own Me," and female characters having to endure listening to one gross term for their body parts after another. Good grief.

Suffice it to say that, with the exception of booze companies and their own FX station's man-child cartoon programs, AHS has virtually no advertisers left.

Old 10-07-2014, 10:18 PM

3,396 posts, read 5,983,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Well, the thing is, as long as people are watching this stuff and buying the stuff from the commercials, it is "okay".

But there will really be a problem when massive amounts of people say, "no more" and no longer buy.......one way or the other.
Commercials are pretty much dead at this point. Between DVDs, Netflix, OnDemand, DVR, Amazon, etc. there is no reason to watch commercials at all (except perhaps for live sporting events). Our daughter was 5 before she ever watched broadcast TV (Charlie Brown Xmas special) and when the first ad came on she said "It's over" and left the room.

While there's a lot of crap out there, I think there's more good stuff than ever before. I'm also not really worried about violence or gore. Unless it gets so bad that they start writing crazy things like a guy who sleeps with his mother and then tears out his own eyes, or a woman killing her own children to get revenge on her cheating husband. Then I'll start worrying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or