Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who's The Best Sci-Fi Commander Of All Time?
Captain James T. Kirk (Star Trek TOS) 34 24.64%
Captain Jean-Luc Picard (Star Trek TNG) 44 31.88%
Captain Benjamin Sisko (Star Trek: DS9) 6 4.35%
Captain Kathryn Janeway (Star Trek: Voyager) 3 2.17%
Captain Jonathan Archer (Star Trek: Enterprise) 0 0%
Captain Nathan Bridger (Seaquest) 0 0%
Commander William Adama (Battlestar Galactica) 1970s 3 2.17%
Commander William Adama (Battlestar Galactica) 1990s 5 3.62%
Captain John Sheridan (Babylon 5) 2 1.45%
Buck Rogers (Buck Rogers in the 25th Century) 2 1.45%
Commander John Koenig (Space 1999) 1 0.72%
Admiral Harriman Nelson (Voyage To The Bottom Of The Sea) 1 0.72%
Mike Donovon/Julie Parrish (V) 0 0%
Han Solo (Star Wars) 5 3.62%
Colonel Tyrus Cassius McQueen (Space: Above & Beyond) 0 0%
Doctor Who (Doctor Who) 6 4.35%
Captain Dylan Hunt (Andromeda) 0 0%
Professor John Robinson (Lost In Space) 0 0%
Captain Mal Reynolds (Firefly/Serenity) 12 8.70%
Captain Christopher Pike (Star Trek) 0 0%
Colonel Jack O'Neill (Stargate SG-1) 6 4.35%
Commander David Bowman (2001: A Space Odyssey) 0 0%
Captain Steve Burton (Land Of The Giants) 0 0%
Captain Nemo (20,000 Leagues Under The Sea) 6 4.35%
Commander John J. Adams (Forbidden Planet) 2 1.45%
Voters: 138. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2014, 04:50 AM

6,675 posts, read 4,274,087 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
Oh, c'mon. Put a busty blonde alien in hotpants in front of him and he would immediately forget his command. Picard survived The Borg.
There was an episode in TNG when they went to a planet dominated by women. If it was Kirk, the series would have ended right then and there. No one would have heard from him again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2014, 08:17 AM

708 posts, read 954,678 times
Who would I want to defend society from the evils of the universe? Picard.
Who would I wish to be? Kirk

Old 10-05-2014, 09:44 AM

695 posts, read 713,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Apollo in the old Battlestar Galactica was his name; Captain was his rank. If one went through the show, they would instances where people, such as Sheba, only called him Apollo.

But the point was a difference between the two series (and not that Apollo should be on the poll list). A, B, C.

A: "Adama" was kept as the major surname but in the old series, that's all they had, one name and it was the surname.

B: Unlike the modern series, the old series didn't have callsigns. In the modern series, ie, it was Kara "Starbuck" Thrace....in the old series, he was just Starbuck.

C: An important thing to consider when to say who is the best commander around is to look at their second of command, who have they groomed to step up to the bat when they get taken out.

Okay, Kirk is great. Not only does he have an excellent second in command, but really, all his line people are ready to step up to the bat. So is Picard, excellent backups.

William Adama, however.......just to keep it nice, there is quite a bit of difference between the Tighs of Adamas.

Sisko and Janeway, again, the have excellent second hitters. Can't say for Archer because I turned off the show right after the teaser at the start. Bridger, well, the entrophy of command was apparent through out the ship.

Sheridan, again excellent back up batters. Buck Rodgers, the same although really, he was the back up batter and Deering and Huer were the first string. John Koenig, well they may not have been excellent but they were very capable.

Nelson had Crane (and Crane had Chip Morton), Solo had Chewie and Luke, McQueen probably had someone (only 2 episodes into that series), Who had himself and Romana, Hunt who probably hopped into bed more than Kirk had Beka and Telemachus, Robinson had West, Pike's backups proved themselves when he was captured, Adams had his crew, and Nemo may have had great second hitters.....it just depends what version one was watching. Roj Blake did have others to take over as it was repeatedly shown.

Bowman really had nothing as it was shown, Burton's people could step up to the plate but they weren't usually focused to the big picture but just the immediate danger. Donovon/Parrish are iffy. People like Ham and Martin/Phillip might take over but it is unlikely that Donovon or Parrish looked out ahead to groom their successors. In the very few passes I saw of Stargate, it looked like there were enough people there to take charge but not sure about Crichton on Farscape, never saw much of that either. Never seen Firefly, so someone else will have to say.
It is absolutely amazing to me what you get out of watching Sci-Fi! I actually remember more about the ships than I do their commanders. However, I must disagree with you on Dylan Hunt. He had no one but Rommie to back him up and she was a War Machine--a computer (and his ship) who was in love with her Captain. I don't ever remember Dylan Hunt in bed with anyone. He was usually just trying to stay alive when almost everywhere he went they were trying to kill him, including his rag-tag crew!

Speaking of Rommie, The Andromeda-Ascendant is definitely the most powerful ship ever in all of Sci-Fi; not as maneuverable as the Star Trek ships, but much more powerful. One could combine all the ships commanded by the leaders in the Poll, throw in a Borg Cube, and the Planet Killer from Star Trek, and the Andromeda could wipe them all out in a matter of minutes. The Planet Killer may require a Nova Bomb though.

Old 10-05-2014, 09:53 AM

23,656 posts, read 13,964,967 times
Been a while since I've seen the show, but he certainly bedded Kristin Lehman (Molly Noguchi) without much of a courtship.

Does one episode make Dylan Hunt a rooster with tennis shoes? No, of course not. Just that the show left me with that impression but I guess I would have to go back and watch it again to be sure.

As far as who he had to back him up, well, I was being fair about it.....and I'm not sure how much Andromeda/Romi could take charge without a human, well organic anyhow, Captain.

Old 10-05-2014, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike930 View Post
There was an episode in TNG when they went to a planet dominated by women. If it was Kirk, the series would have ended right then and there. No one would have heard from him again.

LOL! That is funny! A lot of people think Kirk got all the girls, but that wasn't until the 3rd Season of the show. If you watch carefully Kirk only gets three women in all of the first two seasons. Kirk is also very young and handsome, so of course after he's established himself as a great leader, he's going to be somewhat of a celebrity.

Picard, on the other hand, wasn't a stud. He was wishy-washy and most of his decisions weren't military based, but rather politically based.

Whereas Kirk could better conquer a race, Picard would be much better at keeping them under control afterwards.

Old 10-05-2014, 10:02 AM

23,656 posts, read 13,964,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Z View Post
LOL! That is funny! A lot of people think Kirk got all the girls, but that wasn't until the 3rd Season of the show. If you watch carefully Kirk only gets three women in all of the first two seasons. Kirk is also very young and handsome, so of course after he's established himself as a great leader, he's going to be somewhat of a celebrity.

Picard, on the other hand, wasn't a stud. He was wishy-washy and most of his decisions weren't military based, but rather politically based.

Whereas Kirk could better conquer a race, Picard would be much better at keeping them under control afterwards.
A thing to appreciate about the difference is how things are handled in the two times.

Kirk's universe is like US diplomacy up to but not including Henry Kissinger. Anything happens on the frontier, the Captain/Ambassador handles it.

But Picard's universe is Kissinger and afterwards. Whenever something happens, they warp out an Admiral/jet out the SecState to take charge.

Old 10-05-2014, 12:48 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,157,672 times
No. Kirk relied on instinct, while Picard mostly used his intellect. The former makes for better drama, but I'd rather serve under the latter.

Old 10-05-2014, 01:40 PM

11,175 posts, read 16,008,375 times
I absolutely love the fact that you included Forbidden Planet in your poll. This is one of my all-time favorite movies - of any genre - and a movie that was truly years, if not decades, ahead of its time! IIRC, it was even Gene Roddenberry's inspiration for Star Trek.

Although I don't truly believe that Commander John J. Adams would rate as the best commander of all time, I had to give my vote to him just so he wouldn't be shut out in the poll, lol.

Old 10-05-2014, 02:30 PM

16,545 posts, read 8,584,349 times
Fifteen votes for Picard and only 5 for Kirk thus far?
Talk about how feminized our culture has become.

Picard would try to talk the enemy to death while Kirk would have already killed them and be in bed with a hot woman.

Lets also not forget that Picard killed more Federation members than even Kirk saved over the years.
Also, he was broken and saw 5 lights!

BTW - Even though I would pick Kirk over Picard without any doubt, I voted for Captain Nemo.

Old 10-05-2014, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
I absolutely love the fact that you included Forbidden Planet in your poll. This is one of my all-time favorite movies - of any genre - and a movie that was truly years, if not decades, ahead of its time! IIRC, it was even Gene Roddenberry's inspiration for Star Trek.

Although I don't truly believe that Commander John J. Adams would rate as the best commander of all time, I had to give my vote to him just so he wouldn't be shut out in the poll, lol.
Thank you, but it was late when I created the poll, and I totally forgot about John Robert Crichton Jr. (FarScape) and Roj Blake (Blake's 7). I was hoping this Thread's Moderator could add them for me to the poll, but as of yet nothing. I don't know who the Moderator is or I'd send him/her a note.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts