U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2015, 11:36 AM

3,751 posts, read 3,488,085 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizzles View Post
No way. The 80s were very much a Golden Age of Americana/Machismo/Conservatism with Regan and all (not saying it's good or bad, just so) and the 2000s was also a brief resurgence of the same after 9/11.

The 90s in many ways were something of a backlash to that. Alternative Rock was big, disrespect for authority, Rap was king, baggy clothes, slacker ethos.
Alternative rock is an 80s thing too. U2, The Smiths, The Cure, new wave in general? Rap was big in the 90s but rock was still king. I do notice that the 90s had far more black artists than the 80s though.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2015, 11:40 AM

3,751 posts, read 3,488,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jello071 View Post
Because pop culture no longer evolves as quickly. In the last hundred years pop culture seemed to evolve its quickest in the 1950s, 1960s, 1970s, and 1980s. Once the 90s came things from the 80s simply just carried over and small tweaks were made over the years since then.
You're sort of right actually. The 90s were a lot more like the 80s than people realize. I was born in 1990 but I've always been nostalgic for the 80s for some odd reason, I think it's because 80s culture didn't really die until 1998. Prior to then the Internet was still very small and the major TV networks and FOX dominated; after South Park came out I feel like the culture changed. It became more crass and everything was about irony. It makes Beavis and Butt-head feel pretty antiquated in comparison.

Things like Grunge music, Seinfeld and Pulp Fiction are still pretty modern but people forget that the vast majority of 90s pop culture was extremely campy. Honestly Sabrina the Teenage Witch, Michael Bolton, Kriss Kross and Braveheart were far more typical of 90s culture than the stuff we remember fondly.

Very little changed between the end of the 90s and 2008, then it changed again. I still feel like we're living in 2008 now, but any difference of 5 years between 1960 and 1985 is pretty obvious.

Old 03-06-2015, 11:42 AM

2,436 posts, read 1,804,026 times
I still have my bell bottoms that I wear out in public

Old 03-06-2015, 12:24 PM

1,069 posts, read 816,039 times
Because it was the last decent decade and I DON'T WANNA LET GO!

Old 03-07-2015, 12:33 AM

14 posts, read 16,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazz View Post
Dude, we were in a recession in the early to mid 90's. People were losing their jobs left and right. The homeless population exploded during that time. I don't remember it being prosperous or secure.
The recession was over by 1993, but people didn't really believe it until probably 1996.

Old 03-11-2018, 09:16 PM
Status: "Soon I'll hear old winter's song.." (set 23 days ago)

5,398 posts, read 2,862,911 times
I'm slightly younger than you (1994) and I kinda disagree. To me the 90s only seem moderately different than now. I feel the biggest change has been technology.

My earliest memories which are foggyish go back to 1996-1997 when I used to live with my uncle. My clearest early memories are 1998-1999 which is the period of time that I would no longer be an only child ('98) and started school ('99) and although I can only remember the last couple years of the '90s, the style and technology was very evident even to a small child. I remember the day my mom got her first car in 1998, a '92 Corrolla which was still modern at the time. I remember my parents having beepers back then, the few relatives with internet had dial up. Sure these things are dated but it doesnt compare to like '50s and '60s technology which to me is very old.

Technology was very different from now but even today it wasnt "primitive." We still had colour TV even though it wasnt as clear and sharp as today. VCRs are dated but they're still relatively modern to me. The early 2000s and '90s really blended in, besides 9/11 and the aftermath. I definitely see a change but to me its not that drastic. The 2000s are fresher in my mind and they dont seem that long ago so I can understand how older people can feel that the '90s were "so recent". Hey, its gonna be 2020 before ya know it!

Old 03-16-2018, 06:01 AM

28,234 posts, read 43,514,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
This happens with every generation, people before were shocked when someone was born in 1980, 1970, etc.

It just puts a perspective on time in which people do not think about a lot. The military this often happens, some 17 or 18 year old comes in, and everyone is just like "damn, time goes by fast!"

Plus, the mentality between many people in their late 30's or so and someone in their early 20's is not that much different, but it even gives me a brief pause to think I am talking about going to Nirvana concerts and such, and this person was still sucking his thumb or something; the realization just is not there until you really think about it, and when you do, it is sort of surprising though it should not be.
This is all SO true! I’m 41, and last year I befriended a nice couple through a Facebook page (for local reptile keepers). The first time they came to my house, the guy noticed my Super Nintendo and was all “Niiice; you into retro gaming?” I responded that I’d bought it new 20ish years ago, and he goes “it’s as old as me!” Wait, what?? But I got that in college! Then it dawned on me that I am TWICE their age, and easily old enough to be their mother/s. Yikes.

Speaking of Nirvana, I run an ESL conversation club at the library (where I work), and in the last meeting we discussed our favorite music. I mentioned Nirvana, and a 28 year-old girl from Taiwan asked me who they were - so I pulled up a video on YouTube, and she watched it like I was showing her some unearthed ancient relic. Between her age and being non-American, she just did NOT get it! You should have seen the look on her face, lol. Finally I just said “I guess you had to be there.”

Last edited by gizmo980; 03-16-2018 at 06:18 AM..

Old 03-20-2018, 07:39 PM

2,322 posts, read 1,914,000 times
The other day I met a young couple (28 yr olds) and mentioned that he looked a lot like Chris Cornell.

They had no idea who he was!

I figured he was enough of a legend; I guess not.

Always interesting that young teenagers like Led Zeppelin, AC/DC etc.
Maybe exposure from their parents, or maybe it’s the wonder of YouTube and satellite radio.

Then again, when someone says they’re not old enough to remember some rock star I’ll tell them, well, you’ve heard of Mozart’s, right?

Guess it all depends on your degree of interest in something.

During the 90s we hung out at the Button South in Hallandale. Met tons of bands; got to see
Marilyn Manson with the Spooky Kids in the formative years.

I remember him as being pretty shy, somewhat awkward but nice.

Hair metal was on the down slide; grunge was coming up.

One morning around 3am we left the Button South to go our separate ways home.

We all listen to the same radio station. That was the morning we all heard Smells Like Teen Spirit for the first time.

That afternoon we were calling each other ; “did you hear it?”

And that’s when music as we knew it really started to change.

Last edited by ByeByeLW; 03-20-2018 at 08:39 PM..

Old 03-20-2018, 09:04 PM

31,227 posts, read 57,391,367 times
This thread is older than some of the C-D posters ...

Old 03-24-2018, 12:36 PM

909 posts, read 411,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini-apple-less View Post
People are always shocked I was born in 1990 even though I'm almost 25 years old now. I honestly don't get what's so surprising about that. The early 90s were a long time ago! Nearly as close to 30 as 20 years ago. The average human being is 30 years old so half the people alive today can't even remember 1990.

I'm pretty sure 1945 was considered a long time ago in 1970, and I know for a fact that 1970 was considered ancient in 1995. What makes 1990 different? Do you think it's because today still has sort of a similar pop culture to the last couple years of the '90s?

I guess another thing is the fashion in the '70s and '80s was really bizarre, so the '90s seems quite normal and modern in comparison to those decades. Though actually the '90s had a lot more cheesy and weird stuff than people give it credit for. Hell even movies from 2000 I enjoyed as a child look dated today.
I've noticed a pattern in television and film. Usually, at some point a middle-aged producer decides to make a nostalgaic TV series or film about the time period when they were young (teens to early 20s). For example, in the early 70s there was a TV series called M.A.S.H. It was set in the Korean War about twenty years earlier. The series was very popular until it ended. Then there was Happy Days that was popular in the early to mid 1970s. It was set in the mid to late 1950s with "Fonzie" as the greasy-haired "bad boy" in sets with straight-conservative 1950s white collar family settings. In the 1980s, there was a series called the "Wonder Years" about the mid to late 1960s with adolescents. In the late 1990s there was "That 70s Show" set in the mid to late 1970s.

So, what is my point? You know a decade is "old" if some middle-aged producer makes a nostalgaic series about a time frame roughly twenty years earlier when they were young. The 1990s are "old" now because there has indeed been a series about it - "The People vs OJ" which was very popular and won huge acclaim. I knew the 90s were old when that came out because it fits the pattern with the other examples above. It was set in 1994-1995 with music and events of the day. It even starred the guy from "Friends" as a middle-aged lawyer. At the time DNA technology was new and the legal system had not yet evolved with it, and this scene shows a young lawyer who knew how to leverage its strengths and limits in the OJ trial. This is very accurate about the 1990s - the jury had middle-aged members who had not been taught DNA in high school because it was too new. The OJ lawyer managed to destroy the DNA evidence's validity in the eyes of the jury because of the way it was handled.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTsfy-yTZgo

In the year 2038, there will be probably be TV series or film about 2018 when the middle-aged producer of that time was young. Teens at that point will probably lament about how 2018 was such a long time ago when things were "different" - LOL. Every young generation gets middle-aged at some point.

One of the best "twenty years" ago films was from 1986 when Oliver Stone made "Platoon" based on his experience in the Vietnam War when his platoon was largely comprised of men <= 21 in the months leading up to the Tet Offensive of 1968. Sometimes, the middle-aged producers are able to teach something legitimate to the younger generations. It's not all a wasteful nostalgaic project.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hYeep1T0DU
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or