U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-14-2014, 07:35 PM
 
3,751 posts, read 3,478,213 times
Reputation: 3491

Advertisements

People are always shocked I was born in 1990 even though I'm almost 25 years old now. I honestly don't get what's so surprising about that. The early 90s were a long time ago! Nearly as close to 30 as 20 years ago. The average human being is 30 years old so half the people alive today can't even remember 1990.

I'm pretty sure 1945 was considered a long time ago in 1970, and I know for a fact that 1970 was considered ancient in 1995. What makes 1990 different? Do you think it's because today still has sort of a similar pop culture to the last couple years of the '90s?

I guess another thing is the fashion in the '70s and '80s was really bizarre, so the '90s seems quite normal and modern in comparison to those decades. Though actually the '90s had a lot more cheesy and weird stuff than people give it credit for. Hell even movies from 2000 I enjoyed as a child look dated today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-14-2014, 07:43 PM
 
Location: Texas Hill Country
8,853 posts, read 4,826,319 times
Reputation: 7680
Maybe because the 90's were "perfect".

The Cold War was over, we really weren't fighting anyone, we didn't need to put money like we had been doing into defense, women were making advances, and the Internet had come out!

Now, of course, it was rather false on a whole bunch of fronts.........................but looking back, it felt pretty good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-14-2014, 07:44 PM
 
12,637 posts, read 12,071,712 times
Reputation: 17280
This happens with every generation, people before were shocked when someone was born in 1980, 1970, etc.

It just puts a perspective on time in which people do not think about a lot. The military this often happens, some 17 or 18 year old comes in, and everyone is just like "damn, time goes by fast!"

Plus, the mentality between many people in their late 30's or so and someone in their early 20's is not that much different, but it even gives me a brief pause to think I am talking about going to Nirvana concerts and such, and this person was still sucking his thumb or something; the realization just is not there until you really think about it, and when you do, it is sort of surprising though it should not be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-14-2014, 07:49 PM
 
172 posts, read 120,453 times
Reputation: 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by valsteele View Post
People are always shocked I was born in 1990 even though I'm almost 25 years old now. I honestly don't get what's so surprising about that. The early 90s were a long time ago! Nearly as close to 30 as 20 years ago. The average human being is 30 years old so half the people alive today can't even remember 1990.

I'm pretty sure 1945 was considered a long time ago in 1970, and I know for a fact that 1970 was considered ancient in 1995. What makes 1990 different? Do you think it's because today still has sort of a similar pop culture to the last couple years of the '90s?

I guess another thing is the fashion in the '70s and '80s was really bizarre, so the '90s seems quite normal and modern in comparison to those decades. Though actually the '90s had a lot more cheesy and weird stuff than people give it credit for. Hell even movies from 2000 I enjoyed as a child look dated today.
Yeah, no. I guarantee that in 20 years when you're 45 and you hear that someone was born in 2014, you're going to feel like that just happened. You know how they say time flies? It does. Most people feel like high school drags on forever, then college is slightly shorter, then it just takes off. Think about how long four years used to feel when you were in eighth grade and how fast it went by since you graduated college. Get the picture now?

Using pop culture as a reference, it's sort of amazing to see old reruns of Seinfeld and realize that show is like a quarter century old.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-14-2014, 07:49 PM
 
3,751 posts, read 3,478,213 times
Reputation: 3491
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Maybe because the 90's were "perfect".

The Cold War was over, we really weren't fighting anyone, we didn't need to put money like we had been doing into defense, women were making advances, and the Internet had come out!

Now, of course, it was rather false on a whole bunch of fronts.........................but looking back, it felt pretty good.
I've always felt like the 90s were like the 50s spiritually. Sort of falsely Utopian, viewed as a capitalist golden age but actually quite ridden with problems, conservative and old-fashioned. Right after a period of great conflict (WW2, Cold War) And just before sh*t hit the fan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-14-2014, 07:51 PM
 
3,751 posts, read 3,478,213 times
Reputation: 3491
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuckooman View Post
Yeah, no. I guarantee that in 20 years when you're 45 and you hear that someone was born in 2014, you're going to feel like that just happened. You know how they say time flies? It does. Most people feel like high school drags on forever, then college is slightly shorter, then it just takes off. Think about how long four years used to feel when you were in eighth grade and how fast it went by since you graduated college. Get the picture now?

Using pop culture as a reference, it's sort of amazing to see old reruns of Seinfeld and realize that show is like a quarter century old.
I might just be weird but time actually went by really quickly for me as a teenager in the previous decade and has slowed down since I moved out from home in 2011. Maybe it's because I'm an adult and experiencing a totally new mode of life, and I have the freedom to do things I wasn't allowed to do when I still lived with my parents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-14-2014, 07:55 PM
 
172 posts, read 120,453 times
Reputation: 240
I think you'll see that ten years - which used to sound like forever because it was "half your life" - will zip by pretty quickly. Not to sound morbid, and you probably won't understand this at your age because most people have that "invincibility belief" in their 20s, but I intermittently get terrified of how quickly time passes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-16-2014, 12:24 PM
 
Location: Portlandia "burbs"
10,236 posts, read 13,520,511 times
Reputation: 25856
Valsteele -

Time really does speed up as you get older, and for some of us it goes at warp-speed. Depending on what I'm thinking of, the 90's doesn't seem that long ago (although the 80's do). Other times it feels like it was eons because I had many sad tragedies during that decade.

Personal experiences aside, the 90's were a little closer to "normal" than the 80's and 2000's were, so it tends to stand out in our minds.

You'll start feeling that "toilet-roll" effect before long.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-16-2014, 01:13 PM
 
Location: Sweden
22,863 posts, read 64,904,878 times
Reputation: 17823
The 90s ended 15 years ago.
It is not a very long time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-16-2014, 01:14 PM
 
Location: I am right here.
4,859 posts, read 3,713,248 times
Reputation: 15267
Quote:
Originally Posted by valsteele View Post
.. The early 90s were a long time ago! .

Ha ha, oh you youngster, you! The early 90s were not that long ago. Wait another 30 years, as someone else pointed out, and then see your reaction when a 20-something tells you that the 20-teens were a "long" time ago!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top