Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2015, 09:25 AM

2,062 posts, read 2,546,477 times

Advertisements

Every time I go into a certain wholesale club I am a member of someone is there trying to convince me to sign up for cable with some new promotion or other, and I tell them I have no interest in paying for cable until I can pick and choose which channels I want to pay for and which I do not. I tell them why should I have to pay for espn channels for instance when I do not normally watch sports ? They say things like " oh that can't happen because the smaller stations would go out of business " . I tell them I would probably have to subscribe to the most expensive package to get just a few of the channels I would watch while the rest go ignored, while I can no go on the internet and choose which tv shows and movies I want to watch without cable .I tell them very honestly I do not need or want cable.

We can now choose which songs we want instead of having to buy the entire cd to get just one good song, we can also choose tv shows news stories and movies on the internet. Isnt it time cable allowed people to choose which channels they want to pay to watch ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2015, 12:31 PM

24,456 posts, read 17,199,589 times
I'd like to see a change where we can get the channels that we actually watch and not pay for the hundreds of others loaded with crap that is part of the package.

I think it is crazy how hard the cable companies try ot get new customers but don't take care of the ones they already have.
My office is in a building with 2 other businesses and the amount of mail we get weekly for Comcast business is crazy. On a weekly basis we have seen a dozen pieces of mail addressed to us, variations on our business names and other companies that haven't been in the building for years. It is a crazy waste of paper and postage. I guess they are keeping the post office afloat. I'd rather see the $5 bucks off my bill, the price of postage to send me all that advertising for a month.

Old 03-08-2015, 04:01 AM

897 posts, read 1,179,729 times
Yes. People are using Netflix, Hulu, etc and so cable and satellite TV will slowly go out of style. I read an article on it on MSN a few years back, and now I'm seeing more people who say they do not "watch" TV, they just subscribe to things like Netflix. It's becoming the new reality and if cable wants to keep up, it'll have to adapt, too. So yes, I think it's time it changes! I think it will be forced to in the next 10 or so years, when it's become apparent no one really watches TV the same way, anymore.

Old 03-08-2015, 06:21 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,269,210 times
Bottom line with cable? too many commercials.

Old 03-09-2015, 07:50 PM

3,804 posts, read 6,169,121 times
Long past time.

Old 03-09-2015, 07:53 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,571,571 times
I'm going to unhook from my TV provider. There are just too many really good things to watch for very little on streaming services.

Old 03-11-2015, 07:31 AM

2,062 posts, read 2,546,477 times
Some streaming services on the internet are actually free, plus you can watch some show episodes after they air on tv on their website for free.

Old 03-11-2015, 07:33 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,831,333 times
Too many stupid channels. I have one of those 300+ channels and only watch a few but they are bundled together and so cannot separate them without losing some of the desirable ones.

Old 03-13-2015, 08:33 PM

2,015 posts, read 1,646,991 times
every month I pay my cable bill and every month I wonder why i bother, cable is mostly channels I never watch endless reruns(can they please show 'oh brother, where art thou" one more time please???)commercials after commercials after commercials after commercials after commercials after commercials I swear sometimes I watch cspan only because there are no commercials.news shows that are so biased they barely qualify as news shows,some of the channels in the afternoon show endless tired old westerns, I know americans love guns and cowboys but give me a break.and many of the movies are also westerns.how about a nice comedy or sci-fi every once in a awhile???

Old 03-14-2015, 08:45 PM

4,856 posts, read 5,816,732 times
If by change subscription model, you mean, make it free, I'm all on board. Complain all you want, but unlike broadcast, there is just so much more to watch, even if line-ups have barelly changed in the past few years. If what you like is very specific, and small, I'd suggest something like a Roku, but I still think cable/satelite is the best, minus cost.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts