U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2018, 11:27 PM
uibginniemodridiotcrackap

n/a posts

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
There was a transition period from about 1995 to 2001 that I tend to use to separate before and after. Yes, we changed greatly after almost everyone got on the Internet.
Yeah It started in the 90s...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2020, 01:30 PM

601 posts, read 475,510 times
I remember 1991 right before I made my very first move (from San Diego to Tampa Bay). In the weeks beforehand, it struck me hard how different some of the newest music was compared to the mid-80's, which I was missing, and am still deeply nostalgic for. Also, the car buff in me was noticing sleeker, but blander, lines.

Nowadays, one of my favorite uses for YouTube is as a time machine of sorts. I love to watch old music videos, old news segments, old bumpers, old ads, etc. I'm slowly coming around to the fact that both decades were culturally and aesthetically a lot different from today. And as much as I was dreading the 90's when they began, I'm nostalgic for certain aspects of the decade, just like the 80's, but slightly less so.

The 80's were different from the 90's, but not completely.

Old 08-17-2020, 07:54 AM

1,474 posts, read 384,560 times
LOL at anyone who thinks they can be born in the middle of a decade and have culturally relevant memories of that decade.

Old 08-23-2020, 11:01 AM

59 posts, read 9,734 times
I wonder if we romanticize those eras of our lives where we were “in our prime” so to say or life was most enjoyable? My SO and I had this discussion recently. We are both gen X (I’m 42 he’s 48). He thinks the 90s were just the best ever - best music, best fashion, best everything. I don’t share this viewpoint as much, as I had a lot of personal difficulties in my life growing up in that time. His difficult periods of life were in the 80s and he hates anything from that time period. As in our parents who felt that the 1950s, for example, were the best period to live in.

Old 08-27-2020, 06:25 PM

4,027 posts, read 1,539,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huffskies View Post
I wonder if we romanticize those eras of our lives where we were “in our prime” so to say or life was most enjoyable? My SO and I had this discussion recently. We are both gen X (I’m 42 he’s 48). He thinks the 90s were just the best ever - best music, best fashion, best everything. I don’t share this viewpoint as much, as I had a lot of personal difficulties in my life growing up in that time. His difficult periods of life were in the 80s and he hates anything from that time period. As in our parents who felt that the 1950s, for example, were the best period to live in.
That’s usually what happens. People tend to gravitate towards cultural traits that were popular during their youth. It’s quite common for older generations to sing praises about ‘the good old days’.

Old 08-31-2020, 09:07 AM

91 posts, read 18,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huffskies View Post
I wonder if we romanticize those eras of our lives where we were “in our prime” so to say or life was most enjoyable? My SO and I had this discussion recently. We are both gen X (I’m 42 he’s 48). He thinks the 90s were just the best ever - best music, best fashion, best everything.
No.

I was born in 1973 and thought that the 1980s were the best decade ever. In the first half of the 1990s, I was miserable precisely because I thought that the "glory days" of the early 1980s (MTV, New Wave, fun fashion, etc.) were behind us. Then 1995 rolled around and all of a sudden, and it was like everything that I saw, heard and enjoyed surpassed anything that happened in the 1980s. It had nothing to do with me being in my prime. It was objectively a better period.

For example, the 1990s was when the entire digital revolution exploded, and it was the most exciting period technologically since maybe the dawn of telecommunications of the 1960s. Before then, the most "exciting" thing that happened were VHS, Walkmans, CDs and DVDS. But then the 1990s came along and so many things came down the pike that your head would spin--mp3s, webcams, multimedia, email, digital cameras, etc. The 1990s was the kind of decade where we started out waiting 6-8 weeks for a mail ordered item to come in and just a few years later you were getting it in half the time. The 1990s was also the kind of decade where you went from merely watching documentaries of what Paris, Rome and London were like on TV, to seeing live webcams of these cities on your computer.

Another thing: music. The 1980s was exclusively adult contemporary (Kenny Loggins, Hall and Oates, Bryan Adams, etc.), pop (Michael Jackson, Cyndi Lauper, Wham, etc.), rock (Vam Halen, Guns n Roses), R and B and rap.

In the 1990s, there was an explosion of new sounds, genres, etc. I can count at least 10 right off the top of my head: 1) grunge (Nirvana, Stone Temple Pilots) 2) alternative rock (Blind Melon, Counting Crows, Dave Matthews Band) 3) ska (No Doubt, Goldfinger) 4) industrial (Nine Inch Nails) 5) drums and bass 6) chillout/downtempo (Portishead, Morcheeba) 7) electronica (Chemical Brothers, Fatboy Slim) 8) Eurodance (Ace of Bass, Everything But the Girl) 9) Euro bubble gum (Aqua, Eiffel 65) 10) Cocktail/lounge (Air, Dimitri from Paris).

The 1990s also had movies that were much better than anything that came out in the 1980s. Remember, this was the decade of Silence of the Lambs, Pulp Fiction, The Matrix, Fight Club, Terminator 2, The Sixth Sense, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or