Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2015, 02:51 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,731,689 times

Advertisements

Why is it that so many TV programs and movies have the usual gay character, but hardly any feature lesbian characters? Just wondering because it is so obvious...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2015, 03:04 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,436,414 times
My guess is it's a male dominated business with several gay men present and involved in that business, so the inclination is to cater to males.

Old 05-26-2015, 12:11 AM

23,656 posts, read 13,964,967 times
Let's see, lesbians in film and TV in no particular order.

Well, there was "Better than Chocolate" & "Love and Human Remains" of course. And let us not forget about what Holly said about professionalism of working with ladies in "Body Double". In the book, "From Russia With Love", Klebb was a lesbian or at least bi, but I don't know if that made it into the movie.

I do believe Karen (Vanessa Angel) in Melrose Place was bi or a lesbian. In "Bounty Hunters", the protected offered to "BB", free of charge. Theo (Zeta Jones) suggested that she was bi in "The Haunting".

And, of course, there was Willow and Tara in "Buffy, the Vampire Slayer".

Over the decades, I would say that they are there.

Old 05-27-2015, 10:51 AM

24,458 posts, read 17,203,514 times
I live near a small town that becomes a gay mecca in the Summer and my observations have been that many gay men are fun characters. There are gay guys that have muscles others that are thin and others that are fat and hairy, there are ones that dress up and wear makeup and other ones go all out and dress up like women.
Many of these guys seem to be happy.
On the flip side are the lesbian women some of which get all butched up with tattoos, multiple piercings and they dress like a grease monkey. There are others that wear khakis and walk around with their hands in their pockets.

There is nothing wrong with any of these people, they are just living their lives the way they want.

Simply put a gay man on a television show is a character and a gay woman is more subtle.

Would the show "Will and Grace" have been as funny if it were a straight guy and 2 lesbians?

Old 05-27-2015, 11:12 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,180,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
My guess is it's a male dominated business with several gay men present and involved in that business, so the inclination is to cater to males.
I suspect it goes deeper into the culture than that. American society's concern about and against homosexuals was very heavily focused on males, lesbians were almost under the radar most of the time. Some of the anti-homosexual laws in the past were phrased entirely in terms of males, as if lesbians did not exist.

I cannot remember a time in the past when I was young (b. 1938) when anyone but men were labelled with the various negative epithets and stereotypes; and I grew up with the idea that only men were "that way." It simply never occurred to me that women could be homosexuals, and no female was ever called that. It wasn't until late in h.s. or perhaps it was even college that I actually encountered something in print that referred to lesbians.

Thus, I think that as society has transitioned to a more open attitude, it's not surprising that the emphasis of that shift is still on the male....right where it has historically always been. And so that's what we see on TV and films.

Old 05-27-2015, 01:03 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,731,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
I live near a small town that becomes a gay mecca in the Summer and my observations have been that many gay men are fun characters. There are gay guys that have muscles others that are thin and others that are fat and hairy, there are ones that dress up and wear makeup and other ones go all out and dress up like women.
Many of these guys seem to be happy.
On the flip side are the lesbian women some of which get all butched up with tattoos, multiple piercings and they dress like a grease monkey. There are others that wear khakis and walk around with their hands in their pockets.

There is nothing wrong with any of these people, they are just living their lives the way they want.

Simply put a gay man on a television show is a character and a gay woman is more subtle.

Would the show "Will and Grace" have been as funny if it were a straight guy and 2 lesbians?
Yes, gay men seem destined for certain roles, not least because one can make fun of them, we all know those exaggerated feminine movements and ways of speaking etc. It is the same in Brazilian TV shows by the way. Hardly any telenovela without a gay character, but I don't remember any lesbian one...

How to portray a lesbian character in an entertaining way? A militaristic tomboy?

Old 05-28-2015, 10:44 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,804,566 times
A few reasons...

For one, simple math - there are more men than women on television and in films. As such, there will be more gay men than gay women.

Another is the fact that male homosexuality is more taboo than female homosexuality, and fiction, whether drama or comedy, seeks dramatic situations in which to take place. Female homosexuality is treated as more blasé. Really, it's the same reason we see more shows/films about criminals, law enforcement, and doctors than about accountants, plumbers and IT workers. The sitcom Friends was a good example. Suggestions of male homosexuality was played as a source of angst for the regular male characters, insecure in their sexuality (usually someone mistakenly thinking they were gay). Suggestions of female homosexuality among the regular female characters was played more sensually. Simply put, fictional narratives strive for a conflict of some sort, and attitudes about male homosexuality provide more opportunities for conflict than do attitudes about female homosexuality.

I'm sure there are others that don't occur to me at the moment.

Old 05-29-2015, 12:25 PM

2,015 posts, read 1,647,276 times
hollywood has little to do with america but reflects its own tastes.

Old 05-30-2015, 06:01 PM

8,238 posts, read 10,721,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post

Another is the fact that male homosexuality is more taboo than female homosexuality, and fiction, whether drama or comedy, seeks dramatic situations in which to take place. Female homosexuality is treated as more blasé.
I think this is the #1 reason IMO.

Old 05-31-2015, 05:58 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,862,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hifijohn View Post
hollywood has little to do with america but reflects its own tastes.
Well homosexuality isn't a Hollywood taste - there really are gay people in society....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts