Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2016, 02:24 PM

2,163 posts, read 1,549,988 times

Advertisements

I enjoyed 'The Matrix' on opening night, when no one knew what The Matrix was, and when it was finally revealed I sat in a theatre full of mind-blown people (myself among them). When I saw 'Heat', the audience gave a standing ovation at the end of the shootout scene with the LAPD. Some movies you just have to see in a theatre.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2016, 11:33 AM

4,713 posts, read 9,701,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelva View Post
A coworker went to a high-end theater in Southern California recently where they had recliners, food service at your seat, and adult beverages available too! She said it was awesome, but it cost a bit for her and daughters- but they had a really nice experience.

Maybe it just costs a bit to get above the fray.

We have a theater like that here. Leather recliners, 20 taps of craft beer and pretty decent food to boot (although no wait service inside the theaters themselves). The tickets are a few bucks more than other theaters - that and the slightly higher price-point of the concessions seems to keep out the riff-raff and makes it a rather enjoyable experience.

Old 03-16-2016, 11:43 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,822,859 times

OK. So, as if movie prices aren't high enough, the expectation is now that we should pay "extra" for an enjoyable experience in which they enforce rules of conduct already in place.

We really are turning into a nation of pansies.

Old 03-19-2016, 03:23 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,889,999 times
Well if you have some money, you can look into screening room. I think it is being priced at at $150 for the base box and $50 per movie. Might be worth it if you either have a big family with kids or can get 5 or more friends over and have a viewing party...

FYI, I only sometimes have these problems (if I do it's some Disney movie or something) but I typically go early on weekends or right after work. I rarely have a problem though.

Old 04-15-2016, 01:00 AM

3,565 posts, read 2,115,518 times
I rarely bother with the cinema, mostly for reasons stated previously in this thread.

You shouldn't have to be in a position to decide best times and days in which to go to a cinema house; and neither should you have to pay premium rates just to keep a safe distance from the "entitled" crowd who feel it's their right to be as distracting and annoying as possible just because they're not blessed with an attention-span that stretches past 5 minutes.

So generally, I don't bother. Instead I invested heavily in my own home-theatre, a 50" HD screen and a Qnap NAS box. I can patiently wait until the premiered film becomes available on DVD/BR, and then watch it in the comfort and safety of my own home (and I won't get charged an arm and a leg for food & drink either)

Old 04-16-2016, 01:55 PM

37,800 posts, read 41,003,240 times
I no longer go to the theater to see movies because of the stairs but there are perks for watching movies at home:

1. My refreshments are cheaper and I have a better variety.

2. You can't watch a movie at the theater in your underwear.

3. I can pause it, even the On Demand ones, in case my really big soda gets the best of me, so I don't miss anything.

4. My chair is a recliner.

5. I don't have to wear shoes or socks and my carpet isn't sticky.

6. If I want to watch a tearjerker, nobody will know I'm blubbering away. (Reason why I never watched movies on airplanes.)

7. It's never too loud. I control the sound. I actually think they make the movies at the theater really loud so you can't talk on your phone.

8. Nobody kicks my seat or talks through the movie (married couples are worse than teens).

9. No one will shoot up my living room, pull out a knife, kick anyone's azz, and no perv will sit next to me.

10. The armrests on my chair are mine alone.

11. If I want to walk out because the movie stinks, I don't actually have to get up.

12. It starts when I want it to start. It doesn't cost me more to watch it at night or on the weekend.

Old 04-16-2016, 02:04 PM

37,800 posts, read 41,003,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Last movie I saw in a theater was Lincoln.
Was that when he was killed?

Old 04-17-2016, 10:17 AM

3,565 posts, read 2,115,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I no longer go to the theater to see movies because of the stairs but there are perks for watching movies at home:

1. My refreshments are cheaper and I have a better variety.

2. You can't watch a movie at the theater in your underwear.

3. I can pause it, even the On Demand ones, in case my really big soda gets the best of me, so I don't miss anything.

4. My chair is a recliner.

5. I don't have to wear shoes or socks and my carpet isn't sticky.

6. If I want to watch a tearjerker, nobody will know I'm blubbering away. (Reason why I never watched movies on airplanes.)

7. It's never too loud. I control the sound. I actually think they make the movies at the theater really loud so you can't talk on your phone.

8. Nobody kicks my seat or talks through the movie (married couples are worse than teens).

9. No one will shoot up my living room, pull out a knife, kick anyone's azz, and no perv will sit next to me.

10. The armrests on my chair are mine alone.

11. If I want to walk out because the movie stinks, I don't actually have to get up.

12. It starts when I want it to start. It doesn't cost me more to watch it at night or on the weekend.

A terrific list, Laura! And I would add to that by including:-

13. If I miss a scene, or there's a scene I'm not too sure about, press the RW button!
14. Nobody will be seated or walking in front of me, blocking my view
15. I don't have to worry about transport or catching the last train/bus home.
16. I can shriek, scream & laugh with impunity, safe in the knowledge that no one will think me annoying.
17. Oh and if I want to use my tablet or moby, I will do so

Last edited by Just Zola; 04-17-2016 at 11:11 AM..

Old 05-17-2016, 03:22 PM

702 posts, read 726,668 times
Really, the answer is the Alamo Drafthouse.

Positives:
Not any more expensive than regular theater tickets
There is a bench-style table between each row. People can't kick your seat or whisper behind you
Strict anti-talking and texting policy
Servers come to your seat, take orders on paper slips, and you have a menu under your table
Food is pretty good (enjoy the mexican salad)
Big craft beer and cocktail selection
Kids can't come alone. Must be seated with adult. No more dropping obnoxious kids off and letting them ruin the movie
Regularly have events with older cult movies in quote-a-long form with interactive props (had cap guns during Three Amigos)
Decent rewards program

Negatives:
I've been to theaters that have recliners and they are more comfy.

I haven't been to a regular theater for a while. The last time I went a kid kicked the back of my seat the whole movie even after I turned around and told them to cut it out multiple times. It just isn't worth the hassle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts