U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2016, 11:38 AM

24,586 posts, read 15,857,917 times

Advertisements

Even the music has been leaving me "blech" and all the best movies are remakes of other films, TV and books
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum (on loan)

Last edited by Mikala43; 10-04-2016 at 11:28 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2016, 02:38 AM

8,065 posts, read 4,284,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeniusGirl800 View Post
Does anyone else feel the 2010s (2010 to 2016 so far) are in a cultural depression? Everything these days is so ugly, sad, dark, and dreary? All the popular television shows and movies are based on dark themes or just a violent mess? And what's up with this decade's sick obsession with horror films? Music is no better. Pop music is sad and depressing these days. Rock music is dead unless you're into hipster rock or techno dance which are now labelled as alternative (yes I miss the post-grunge days!). And don't get me started on all the ugly fashion trends: skinny high-waisted jeans, psuedo-boho-hippie-woodstock wannabes, fat lips and thick eyebrows, peplum dresses and skirts, messy lob cuts, and other ugly looks popularized by Instagram and YouTube "stars".

Maybe I'm just showing my age? Or maybe Gen Y/Gen Z like to project their sad feelings in today's art and culture mediums.

I'd go back further than that, say around 2006 or even the start of the century.

I was processing some of my DVDs last week and came across NBC's "The Biggest Loser". I never watched the show, the portion must have been caught on the tape for "ER" or "Las Vegas", but seriously......this was prime time entertainment (and still is, according to imdb) ? Seeing things like that on TV rather makes the why of the election more understandable.

Might disagree on Pop music (which takes us outside the thread title of TV/movies), though. There are enough energetic songs on the Bobs (FM) and easy listening channels to bring a smile to my face. Swift and Perry, for instance

I would also disagree when it came to the stage. From 2007 till the present, I have seen more plays than I saw from 1980 till 2007. The difference isn't due to a lack of availability but rather being more aware of what was out there....and probably being in a region that goes more for such things, from plays to concerts in the park to live bands such as Tartanic and Circa Paleo to dance performances.

So, it perhaps varies depending on the type of performances.

Old 10-11-2016, 10:47 AM

2,581 posts, read 1,537,174 times
Values have changed a lot.

People have turned on the Country and are now anti USA.

Men have been given passes to the Lady's restrooms of the Country.

Nose rings and metal facial studs on pretty women and girls are considered attractive.

Narcotic use is accepted and featured on TV.

Anyone over 39 is now considered obsolete.

The future looks shaky and unsure.

Old 10-11-2016, 10:52 AM
PDF

11,387 posts, read 9,288,374 times
I absolutely love movies with dark themes. Even before 2010 I did.

Old 10-11-2016, 11:05 AM

24,586 posts, read 15,857,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the searchers View Post
Values have changed a lot.

People have turned on the Country and are now anti USA.

Men have been given passes to the Lady's restrooms of the Country.

Nose rings and metal facial studs on pretty women and girls are considered attractive.

Narcotic use is accepted and featured on TV.

Anyone over 39 is now considered obsolete.

The future looks shaky and unsure.

With things like us falling behind other nations in math and science, I would think things like that are more important than nose rings.

I mean there are so many things that are genuinely wrong (huge incarceration levels) I could care less who is in the stall next to me.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum (on loan)

Old 10-15-2016, 04:52 AM

845 posts, read 702,166 times
I have this feeling that in the early 2000s creativity, in music, cinemas, etc had somewhat stopped

if you compare the music and movies from 50s 60s 70s 80s and even 90s to those of today you can't not seein how back then the stuff were made out better, more professional, better written and played and with more creativity
original plays and counterculture were mainstream

today it's all so boring, stupid, unoffensive, just plain
you can even guess how a movie will end by the early minutes, it's not intersting anymore

I don't know if it depends on Internet that have drained money from the music/cinema industry thus lowering down the quality...
or that today the main target have become teens, who content themselves with less professional and simpler stuff
or that real intellectuals, artists and writers got expelled by the industry and are starving in the undergroud...

but it is this way, it's not just a feeling

Old 12-01-2016, 05:17 PM

1,189 posts, read 358,485 times
Oh, absolutely!

Obama.

Old 12-04-2016, 08:40 PM

11,244 posts, read 9,090,325 times
File sharing has killed a lot of the profits which would've otherwise allowed movie studios and record labels to take risks on independent films and unorthodox musical acts. So they play it safe and we have bland homogeneous entertainment as a result. It seems TV is better than ever though, possibly because they're cheaper to make compared to films.

Old 12-21-2016, 09:55 AM

1,571 posts, read 2,048,675 times
No. I think this happens every decade. People thought the 80's sucked. Then the 90's sucked. Then the whatever-they're-called sucked (the aughts, the 2000's), and now it's this decade. I'm pretty sure people probably also thought the 70's sucked, the 60's, 50's, and so on.

It's only when you look back twenty years or so that you begin to really appreciate all that happened.

EDIT: I remember in the 90's, people talking about how the 80's wasn't really distinctive (!!! - seems crazy now, since the 80's were very distinctive in style, music, etc.). And in the mid-late 90's, people were talking about how the 90's weren't that distinctive either (umm...again, style, music - there was a lot distinctive about the 90's).

It's just harder to appreciate something in the moment. Hindsight is 20/20, all that jazz.

Old 12-24-2016, 04:42 PM

388 posts, read 317,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisfitBanana View Post
No. I think this happens every decade. People thought the 80's sucked. Then the 90's sucked. Then the whatever-they're-called sucked (the aughts, the 2000's), and now it's this decade. I'm pretty sure people probably also thought the 70's sucked, the 60's, 50's, and so on.

It's only when you look back twenty years or so that you begin to really appreciate all that happened.

EDIT: I remember in the 90's, people talking about how the 80's wasn't really distinctive (!!! - seems crazy now, since the 80's were very distinctive in style, music, etc.). And in the mid-late 90's, people were talking about how the 90's weren't that distinctive either (umm...again, style, music - there was a lot distinctive about the 90's).

It's just harder to appreciate something in the moment. Hindsight is 20/20, all that jazz.
I still think the current decade sucks, but you do have a point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or