Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2017, 05:52 PM

804 posts, read 544,636 times

Advertisements

Youtube is just another way for uneducated people who blab their mouths about claiming they know how to download stuff off the internet. That is why Youtube is fail. Google works side by side with law enforcement. Using the Youtube money as a lure they enlist more and more people into their marketing database. It is a sure fire way to lose your Job just for freedom of speech or even have a federal investigation occur. Basically another variant of facebook but more open to the public

You could look up the census on internet traffic and see why youtube is the way it is. I have seen so much stuff on youtube that is not blocked but is rated-R. They could at least block the content so a child could not view it but still allow for downloading. That is fair enough. However they want people to watch the Advertisements. Or even show the advertisement and then block the content.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2017, 12:58 PM

12,169 posts, read 2,959,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevdawgg View Post
I have to use a google plus account, and enter a first and last name.
What? I don't. I just go there and watch or listen. But I also don't comment or upload. I've never heard of having to sign on just to watch youtube.

Old 02-16-2017, 01:58 PM

5,722 posts, read 5,797,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PegE View Post
What? I don't. I just go there and watch or listen. But I also don't comment or upload. I've never heard of having to sign on just to watch youtube.
Most of already had a youtube account years ago then they made us integrate our Gmail info into it if we wanted to keep our account.

Old 02-17-2017, 01:10 PM

12,169 posts, read 2,959,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
Most of already had a youtube account years ago then they made us integrate our Gmail info into it if we wanted to keep our account.
You should still be able to go on youtube.com when signed out of your email and anonymously enjoy videos. True you couldn't post comments.

Old 02-26-2017, 08:43 AM

3,505 posts, read 761,791 times
if there are things that are different i have not noticed it or payed attention to it .. iv`e had a youtube account since 08 .. recently someone has messed up my screen resolution settings and i cant fix it ..everything is less than half the size it once was ...i usually spend half my sundays on youtube ...

Old 02-26-2017, 11:03 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,323,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshmallow Skies View Post
You can block the ads. The Firefox browser and UBlock add on (or adblock) works. It's wonderful
I was going to say the same thing, I haven't seen an ad on YouTube in a very long time, and I probably watch a few dozen videos a day. AdBlocker is the way to go!

Old 03-01-2017, 10:21 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,759,131 times
The Ads don't bother me. How can such a valuable resource continue to be free? I've done lots of DIY projects by finding videos that have saved me a lot of time/money.

Old 03-12-2017, 10:17 AM

3,505 posts, read 761,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HOSS429 View Post
.. recently someone has messed up my screen resolution settings and i cant fix it ..everything is less than half the size it once was ...i usually spend half my sundays on youtube ...
well i found out how to fix the resolution problem .. i knew i could set my basic screen resolution to 125 or 150 % and had been living with that for 10 years or so .. the person who screwed up my youtube screen showed me what they did .. i did not know i could set the screen on each site i visit individually .. much happiness now .

Old 03-12-2017, 05:32 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,391,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye5b View Post
To me ever since Google has taken over Youtube. I think it has gotten worse, especially with the annoying ads.

Plus I'm seeing more and more nudity on Youtube which in the past you would of never seen. Plus if you ever want to use this for work or school function or any of the like then you can't have suggestions of naked girl videos to watch.

You used to be able to watch really old movies on there for free, but now you have to pay for everything on Youtube. I used to be able to watch old Dukes n Hazzard shows on there for free, but not anymore. I could have even watched several John Wayne movies. I'm a history buff and I like to watch old movies about frogmen and stuff like that. But since Google has taken over its worse imo.

Does anyone else feel this way or is it only me?
It is not just you. Google destroyed a lot of the fun on youtube. But they did SOME things right:
1. BAD - Tracking user searches etc. and keeping meta data about users such as their voice, the location etc by DEFAULT and making this hard to turn off...

2. BAD - FORCING you to provide personal information to sign up for an account when not needed.

3. GOOD - Allowing video posters to earn money from their videos. At some point there will be some sort of litigation to stop online companies from keeping ad revenue based on content that belongs to someone else (hear that farcebook?). Google is selling ads based on user videos, but they are allowing users to get their fair share of $$.

4. GOOD - Allowing musicians to make money. When users post a video on YT, instead of saying COPYRIGHT violation if they use other songs as background music, the viewer gets an option to buy the song on Itunes or Amazon music etc. This is a WIN for posters, musicians and fans. I've bought MANY songs this way and get introduced to new artists/music through YT videos.

TBH I'm not subjected to most ads. LOL sorry ad posters. The good thing is that if an ad somehow gets past, Google lets you press SKIP after a few seconds if you are not interested. So you don't have to HATE the company for destroying your experience with an ad.

OP Cheer up! I've noticed more content from the official source added via YT channels. This means that if they can strike a good deal with Google, then the content may be available again on YT like it was in the past. TBH unless the uploader translated the movie to a new language or something, they may not really have had the right to post it for free.

Old 03-12-2017, 05:39 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,391,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
LOL Darn right. I just closed my account. I miss it.

Many people now use the internet via a mobile phone, and sign up by default for GMAIL. It is not as obvious from a phone that the site is tracking you IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts