U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2017, 06:10 AM
Status: "Trump - What are they investigating?" (set 14 days ago)

8,544 posts, read 2,793,022 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maliblue View Post
TV:
1969: I missed the moon landing, but I remember my parents calling me in to watch it. I remember nothing happened for a long time, I got bored and whiny, and finally my parents gave up and let me go.
I watched that at sleepaway camp. They imported a small-screen TV. The choice was watch it or go back to the bunk through the pouring rain that was incessant that summer. We were brought over at the right time also.
Quote:
1970-1973 My bedtime was still pretty early, so most of my TV viewing was before prime-time. So, I watched reruns of I Dream of Jeannie (Barbara Eden was my first crush), Batman, Lost in Space, Adam 12, Dragnet, The Mod Squad, and Mission Impossible (which bored me, but for some reason I liked the cars on that show)
I must be a bit older. Lost in Space was one of the few shows I watched, circa 1965-6.
Quote:
1973-1975 WABC Top-40 hits. Anyone remember "Beach Baby", "The Night Chicago Died", "Billy Don't Be A Hero"?
I remember all of those. had switched my listening to WNEW-FM when I had a choice through about fall 1974, when I tired of that. My 1971 Ford Mustang only had an AM Radio so I listened to those on the road between my summer camp job in Croton-on-Hudson and my parents' house in Scarsdale. MY WABC era was January 1970 (when I could get my parents to put it on, they found that station insufferable) to very early 1971, when I switched over to WNEW-FM.

Quote:
Books:
I'll check earlier postings and update later. I'm out of time.

Quote:
Movies:

1969: My parents tried taking me to "Yellow Submarine", which I dimly recall, but got bored and acted like a baby, and they took me out.
Though I didn't like it one bit it was my mother and grandmother that made the decision to walk out of that one, at a Stamford, CT movie theater. They got their money back, using the excuse that the theater was cold.

In terms of movies I do remember being taken to Space Odyssey 2000, Planet of the Apes, Little Big One, The Ugly Dalmatian and Winnie the Pooh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2017, 11:49 AM

367 posts, read 438,228 times
captain kangeroo, sesame street, zoom , electric company, Scooby Doo, voltron, inspector gadget, where in the world is Carmen Sandiego?

Old 05-03-2017, 12:44 AM

12,856 posts, read 12,478,406 times
We didn't have a TV. We didn't have a TV till I was about 8. Black and white. And when I say we I mean my grandpa. I didn't have a tv in my house until I came to the US.
I read
Rahan and Pif Gadget (French comic books)
Odyssey
Iliad
Jules Verne
Victor Hugo
Alexander Dumas
Jack London
Mark Twain
Grimm brothers
I was really into history when I was little.

Old 05-11-2017, 09:14 PM

5,334 posts, read 1,790,743 times
I read every Nancy Drew mystery.

Old 05-11-2017, 09:36 PM
Status: "Diggin' through ditches and burnin' through witches" (set 8 days ago)

409 posts, read 102,041 times
I read all the Roald Dahl I could get my hands on. My mother and I would take turns reading chapters aloud to each other and she did different voices for all the characters. Her Grand High Witch put Anjelica Huston to shame.

I also liked Judy Blume, Choose Your Own Adventure books and pretty much any school story or YA novel set in England so I could daydream about where I'd rather be.

I began collecting comics at 12 (Marvel first, then DC and later 2000 AD), then in teenage years I got into Sherlock Holmes and HG Wells. My fondness for both continues into my forties. It paved the way for Victorian era Gothic and ghost stories, then Lovecraft.

On television I would watch any Warner Bros or Hanna Barbera cartoon. I never liked Disney and still don't. I jumped on board the Doctor Who bandwagon in time for the original series' 25th anniversary, remain a fan to this day and credit the man in the blue phone box for getting me through puberty and high school (relatively) sane.

Old 05-12-2017, 11:03 AM

322 posts, read 249,966 times
I read a lot of Beverly Cleary and Judy Blume books.

Old 06-20-2017, 04:23 PM

995 posts, read 409,804 times
As a young kid I read and re-read both Chitty Chitty Bang Bang and Charlotte's Web literally dozens of times, over and over, and watched the movies at every opportunity. Those two were major to me, and Dick Van Dyke was my hero, simply because he drove the car (and was a likeable guy). In grade school, it was Jaws--I was given the book randomly by my grandfather, around the time the movie was out (I remember it was quite the phenomenon). Early teens, Stephen King. All of it. I'd say Christine had the most effect on me, though--to this day when I have to leave someplace I tell friends 'Alright, time to motorvate'.

Honorable mention goes to The Stand, which I re-read every two years or so, because Randall Flagg, man.

Old 06-20-2017, 04:24 PM

995 posts, read 409,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyDee View Post
I read a lot of Beverly Cleary and Judy Blume books.
Fond memories of Beezus and Ramona. You just took me back.

Old Today, 09:37 PM

4,390 posts, read 6,259,505 times
This little lassie grew up the UK. Born in the 50's, came of age in the 60's and 70's. Very little American cultural influence back then compared to now. American was this rich, faraway, exotic land to us city kids who lived in row houses in an old Victoria city, with a pub on every corner, and crofts (empty lots) where homes used to be before Mr. Hitler flattened them.

My fav TV shows were Bonanza, The Rifleman, My Favorite Martian - I was convinced he was real! Cartoons - The Jetsons, Flintstone, Road Runner, Yogi Bear. In later years there was the Duke's of Hazzard. I loved any movie with Doris Day - I wanted her life, to be like her On the Brit side, there were programs about WWII and only 3 TV channels - BBC 1, BBC 2, (Govt funded and no ads) and ITV - independent TV with commercials.

Music was big for us, and my home county seemed like music central. It was the time of the Beatles, The Hollies, etc..

Read - typical Brit education, so it was mostly classics, no choice. Bronte sister, Shakespeare, Robinson Crusoe, Pilgrim's Progress, Jane Austen, Dickens, etc.. Later it was Animal farm, 1989. Oh and Antigone.

I made sure both my daughters read as soon as possible. I bought them every book they wanted. I think it's vital in nurturing a child's curiosity for life.

Old Today, 10:02 PM

3,639 posts, read 1,854,505 times
I'm 48 and watched Gilligan's Island even though it seriously gave me the worst anxiety. Seriously, I used to get SO upset when Gilligan did something dumb that ruined their chances to escape from the island. I don't know why someone didn't just turn the dang TV off. Ha. I used to have nightmares about head hunters, for cryin' out loud.

I loved The Brady Bunch, Bewitched, I Dream of Jeannie, The Six Million Dollar Man, The Bionic Woman, Wonder Woman, and just about every Saturday morning cartoon. I'd get up at the crack of dawn to cram in as many as possible.

Loved Little House in the Big Woods books and comic books: Donald Duck, Uncle Scrooge, Archie and Jughead, Sabrina the Teenage Witch, and had a few featuring Bob Hope, strangely enough. My grandma taught me to read at about age 4 and it was with Dr. Seuss books. The rhyming, small words were great to start out with.
My paternal grandma bought me a lot of poetry books and classic literature. I'm lucky I had such great grandmothers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts