Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2017, 12:37 PM

5,051 posts, read 3,550,138 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael917 View Post
I have a relative who is a stand-up comic, and as such I end up attending at least one or two shows a year. These shows generally feature anywhere from 3-5 comics, and I've noticed this gradual trend towards comedians using R-rated humor for 80%-100% of their sets. To me, it's just not that funny.

I don't want to give the impression that I'm easily offended. I don't mind occasional swearing or off-color jokes. But it does bother me when a performer can't seem to do anything else. Is it that "gross" and "insensitive" jokes are the only way to get laughs anymore? I hate being one of the only people not laughing, but honestly I don't get it. I really don't.
You probably are just seeing too many low quality comics. Good ones use offensive jokes much more effectively.

People like Lewis Black or Dane Cook are really funny and their off-color stuff is equally hilarious. Try listening to some of their routines on youtube and compare it to what you are hearing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2017, 01:30 AM

3,908 posts, read 5,129,420 times
What about the old school comics like Richard Pryor, Redd Foxx or even Joan Collins. Offensive humor is what they did best!

Old 02-26-2017, 01:37 AM

1,248 posts, read 817,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Different strokes. One man's meat is another's poison...etc.

For instance, I think Jim Gaffigan is terrific, funny and warm.

And I think Amy Shumer is flat-out brilliant, funny, brave, and a terrific role model for young women today.

And so it goes.
From Wiki:

When she was 21, she and her sister Kim were arrested for grand larceny, as part of a shoplifting scheme. During an interview, she stated that it was her connection to Senator Schumer that enabled her to plead down the charge.

Terrific role model indeed

Old 02-26-2017, 11:58 PM

24,463 posts, read 33,147,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by st33lcas3 View Post
What about the old school comics like Richard Pryor, Redd Foxx or even Joan Collins. Offensive humor is what they did best!
George Burns and Bob Hope did not have to resort to offensive humor.

Old 02-28-2017, 11:17 AM

23,769 posts, read 28,875,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
George Burns and Bob Hope did not have to resort to offensive humor.

true, but neither were the least bit funny

Old 02-28-2017, 11:41 AM

31,374 posts, read 20,018,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
true, but neither were the least bit funny
I liked George and thought he got funnier as he got older. But totally agree about Bob Hope. He was as funny as a flat tire.

Old 02-28-2017, 05:03 PM

19,229 posts, read 15,097,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
I liked George and thought he got funnier as he got older. But totally agree about Bob Hope. He was as funny as a flat tire.
I liked Bob Hope. lol

Old 02-28-2017, 06:27 PM

169 posts, read 133,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael917 View Post
I have a relative who is a stand-up comic, and as such I end up attending at least one or two shows a year. These shows generally feature anywhere from 3-5 comics, and I've noticed this gradual trend towards comedians using R-rated humor for 80%-100% of their sets. To me, it's just not that funny.

I don't want to give the impression that I'm easily offended. I don't mind occasional swearing or off-color jokes. But it does bother me when a performer can't seem to do anything else. Is it that "gross" and "insensitive" jokes are the only way to get laughs anymore? I hate being one of the only people not laughing, but honestly I don't get it. I really don't.
You should see Ricky Gervais slay those celebs in their high horses put into place. LOL. The very first time he did it in Golden Globes I was LOLing through the roof.

What a breath of fresh air.

Old 03-02-2017, 10:55 PM

31,374 posts, read 20,018,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shailene View Post
You should see Ricky Gervais slay those celebs in their high horses put into place. LOL. The very first time he did it in Golden Globes I was LOLing through the roof.

What a breath of fresh air.
Ricky Gervais has one of the most brilliant minds in the entertainment business. And, like forerunners Lenny Bruce, Mort Sahl, George Carlin, Richard Pryor et al and current peers Amy Shumer, Louis CK, Kathy Griffin and other cutting-edge comics, is unafraid to push boundaries.

Comics are among society's bravest people. I admire the hell out of them.

Old 03-16-2017, 02:16 PM

939 posts, read 781,535 times
Brian Regan is clean and funny too.

Don't know how many of his funniest videos are actually allowed to be on Youtube though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts