Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2017, 08:45 AM

35,309 posts, read 51,983,690 times

Advertisements

MSN is no longer what i would call news,in a medium dominated by ratings news has become entertainment, facts have become irrelevant and the sole topic is generally discussing opinion about Trump.
I'll now watch sports and weather on the local news channel but thats about it for news channels

Old 01-26-2017, 08:47 AM

20,058 posts, read 18,212,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chattyneighbor View Post
I remember a journalism class where the teach kept drilling in us - Facts, facts, facts. That's all. Double and triple check accuracy. Nobody cares about your opinion. Nobody wants your slant. They just want to know the facts - that's your job. Give em the facts and let them make sense of it.

Now its ALL biased, slanted, half truths and full out lies. Its not news anymore. Its media. They aren't reporters anymore. They're writers. Journalist is a word of the past.

Seems the media is taking their clue from the brainiacs in hollywood - who, for some reason, we pay WAAAYY too much to for doing way too little. For every star - there's 100 more talented kids yet undiscovered - so why do we value these meatballs to the tune of millions of dollars for a few months work and allow them to purchase the media - formerly - the news?

Comment?
When reporters became famous and Star-like.
In recent weirdo times.

Old 01-26-2017, 12:02 PM

5,225 posts, read 3,560,706 times
Unbiased journalism still exists in a few of the major newspapers & news agencies. TV is tougher because of the huge expenses & that since the 1970's-80's it changed from being expressly a public service to a market driven profit center. So it is exclusively market driven now to recoup investment, ie., give the people what they want to hear/see. This has deteriorated to local news being a happy-talk "Friends" model & cable news to biasing to a specific demographic just like talk radio does.

Since the Greeks it has always been true that if some people hear facts they don't want to hear/believe they kill the messenger, nothing new there... as old as the ages. My observation is that rather than keeping an open mind - unbiased, most people now just consume what they believe already & call everything else biased.

There is a place for advocacy journalism & opinion but it should be noted as such.

Old 01-26-2017, 08:12 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,727,554 times
There's plenty of analytic, thoughtful news out there.

The problem is when people can't be bothered to look any further than the infotainment channels, then proclaim that all 'news' is bad. And television is one of the worst forms of media for information transmission. Radio is just a little better. But most people are too lazy to read. After all, why plunge into a long, thoughtfully-written chronicle when you can watch watch the latest police chase, or get whipped into a frenzy because some guy who throws a football sits down during a song?

Oh, and anyone who thinks that biased reporting is some sort of recent scourge must've skipped the days their history classes covered yellow journalism.

Old 01-27-2017, 08:28 AM

5,066 posts, read 2,841,974 times
I would add with the current administration and the threats they've already made to journalist, it'll be harder to find. The chilling effect will not be good for the truth. Truly sad times.

Old 01-28-2017, 11:09 PM

1,375 posts, read 1,172,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfbs2691 View Post
It slowly started in the 80s and just got worse and worse.

I took a journalism class way back when and they drummed into our heads there was no room for adjectives and adverbs in news stories. Period.

Look where we are now... now "news" includes hidden ads as well!!
Disgusting.
Precisely! We must have been in the same class.
I also remember them saying - and this was drummed in us too - you MUST give equal time to both sides of the story because there are always facts on both sides & it is your job to report them.

That's another thing the media does now - selective reporting. You can have 8 stories where say a white cop helps some black folk in their community and protects them from thugs and the neighbors are happy and thankful - but the news doesn't report it. They only report the one time where the thug is actually just an innocent (of that particular crime anyway) punk kid who doesn't freeze when the cop says freeze and suddenly - the media is all over it because they know the Sharptons of the world will pounce on it & the TV "talent" get the air time they crave, while people are led to believe this is the norm - when facts are - it isn't.
Or when they can't refuse to report something - they will skew it entirely. Like when they kept showing pictures of the streets lined up for Obama versus Trump - claiming nobody came for his inauguration. But they fail to tell you they are showing the street for one at 2 PM as opposed to having the photographs of the other taken at 7 AM.

Old 01-28-2017, 11:16 PM

1,375 posts, read 1,172,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefe View Post
Unbiased journalism still exists in a few of the major newspapers & news agencies. TV is tougher because of the huge expenses & that since the 1970's-80's it changed from being expressly a public service to a market driven profit center. So it is exclusively market driven now to recoup investment, ie., give the people what they want to hear/see. This has deteriorated to local news being a happy-talk "Friends" model & cable news to biasing to a specific demographic just like talk radio does.

Since the Greeks it has always been true that if some people hear facts they don't want to hear/believe they kill the messenger, nothing new there... as old as the ages. My observation is that rather than keeping an open mind - unbiased, most people now just consume what they believe already & call everything else biased.

There is a place for advocacy journalism & opinion but it should be noted as such.
Truth. But that's kinda the point. Most people don't have the time - and lets face it - the intellect to go hunting down truth. That's what makes the biased media so dangerous. It is the bulk mass who turn on the TV for the "news" and hear instead - story after story of biased, selective, opinionated babble which colors their world and their beliefs. It shouldn't, but it does - especially the kids today growing up with 140 characters or less. They're not reading between the lines. They're not even trying to find what's missing. They're relying on unreliable "truths" and those happy talk entertainers who are supposed to be culling what's important.

Old 01-29-2017, 11:21 AM

1,478 posts, read 1,497,835 times
Money is what happened to the news. If you have to choose between being honest and having nobody pay to put ads on your network, or choosing to run the stories that will raise your viewership and therefore ad income, your first duty is to your shareholders and that means taking the cash.

One network saw that they could gain almost all of the viewers from one side if they slanted their news reporting in favor of that group's beliefs. That station's viewers firmly believe that they are the only ones seeing the real news. The other networks figure that they can't compete with that so they try to pick up as many viewers from the other side as they can. That means that they also get caught up in trying to play to their audience sadly.

Old 01-30-2017, 07:06 AM

5,012 posts, read 7,384,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chattyneighbor View Post
you MUST give equal time to both sides of the story because there are always facts on both sides & it is your job to report them.
I do my best to judge everything in my life this way now.
From news to reading online reviews.

I make it a mission to find arguments from both sides and then form my opnion.

Old 01-30-2017, 07:16 AM

2,085 posts, read 2,124,148 times
The news media has just become an echo chamber of the same ideologies...even espy is unwatchable now because of their bias.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts