U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-30-2017, 06:17 AM
 
Location: Colorado Springs
2,989 posts, read 2,964,288 times
Reputation: 9793

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lbjen View Post
Money is what happened to the news. If you have to choose between being honest and having nobody pay to put ads on your network, or choosing to run the stories that will raise your viewership and therefore ad income, your first duty is to your shareholders and that means taking the cash.

One network saw that they could gain almost all of the viewers from one side if they slanted their news reporting in favor of that group's beliefs. That station's viewers firmly believe that they are the only ones seeing the real news. The other networks figure that they can't compete with that so they try to pick up as many viewers from the other side as they can. That means that they also get caught up in trying to play to their audience sadly.

^^^This is it.

Ever wonder why there are so many right wing radio shows and almost no left wing shows?

The left wing attacks profit making monopolies like health insurance and drug companies. As a result, businesses won't buy advertising there.

Watch the evening news on CBS/NBC/ABC. Notice all the drug adds? Do you think those networks will ever have a story that attacks those advertisers?

Just follow the money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-30-2017, 06:42 AM
 
3,343 posts, read 952,129 times
Reputation: 5616
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
You are aware that they talk about crowd size because Trump and Spicer won't stop lying about the size of the crowd, right? Trump is the one who chose to make it a story.
Typical of liberals, they completely forgot Step 1, which was when the media started the lie.


I mean, really, did you see Trump interrupting the prime time coverage of the election and bellowing out how big his crowds were? Of course you didn't. He was busy with other things while the media was trying its best to disparage everything inaugural. EVERYTHING. The snark, the lies, the hatred, were impossible for me to watch. Especially from ABC. It was outright revolting.


Of course he addressed the topic of crowd size when it was obvious the media was going to lie about it.


Damn, it's not that hard! Pay attention! Trump has always said he will hit back and call out their lies. When he does so, it shouldn't surprise even the most empty headed.


Now if we could just drain the swamp on forums!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-04-2017, 02:19 PM
 
Location: NYC
1,192 posts, read 693,415 times
Reputation: 2803
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsBellaMia View Post
Typical of liberals, they completely forgot Step 1, which was when the media started the lie.


I mean, really, did you see Trump interrupting the prime time coverage of the election and bellowing out how big his crowds were? Of course you didn't. He was busy with other things while the media was trying its best to disparage everything inaugural. EVERYTHING. The snark, the lies, the hatred, were impossible for me to watch. Especially from ABC. It was outright revolting.


Of course he addressed the topic of crowd size when it was obvious the media was going to lie about it.


Damn, it's not that hard! Pay attention! Trump has always said he will hit back and call out their lies. When he does so, it shouldn't surprise even the most empty headed.


Now if we could just drain the swamp on forums!

There is almost nothing in your statement that is factual, do you honestly believe that? It may be your opinion, but the above is totally fact free & not based in reality.

BTW the crowd size photos were released from the National Park Service, taken at the same time during the inaugurations by NPS, no media lies.

Edit to add: I have to apologize - when I wrote "There is almost nothing in your statement that is factual" I realize now that I shouldn't have used the word "almost", your entire post is fact free upon rereading, it's entirely opinion & wishful.

Last edited by Hefe; 02-04-2017 at 02:27 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-04-2017, 03:56 PM
 
Location: Tennessee
31,818 posts, read 28,450,219 times
Reputation: 44281
There is another thing they do that they shouldn't do. They make themselves the story. Since when do debate moderators go into a spin room after a debate and brag about their questions or brag about how tough they are on interview subjects? Or whine about how some candidate (Clinton at the NYC 9/11 ceremony) mistreats them by giving them the slip and not telling them where they are going. And do we really care if the president (Trump) wants to move the press briefing room to a bigger office across the street? That was a multi-day story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-05-2017, 04:04 AM
 
20,977 posts, read 22,396,991 times
Reputation: 17744
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
Ever wonder why there are so many right wing radio shows and almost no left wing shows?
No, I wonder why there's basically one right wing TV news station and why all the rest are liberal. I wonder why academia is 90% liberal. Why Hollywood is 90% liberal. I wonder why people freak out about a few right wing tv and radio stations when the vast majority are liberal.

Beyond the right-left paradigm, I wonder why so many people still pay attention to mainstream media sources at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-05-2017, 01:44 PM
 
16,302 posts, read 19,325,723 times
Reputation: 28587
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
No, I wonder why there's basically one right wing TV news station and why all the rest are liberal. I wonder why academia is 90% liberal. Why Hollywood is 90% liberal. I wonder why people freak out about a few right wing tv and radio stations when the vast majority are liberal.

Beyond the right-left paradigm, I wonder why so many people still pay attention to mainstream media sources at all.
great answer!!!!

if the mainstream media....didnt go sooo far left,,,if they were fair and balanced,,,then their would be no fox news,,,no rush l and no trump...


somewhere in the '70's, it was more important to be on a party list for the top democrats than it was to be a good, fair journalist,,

then when cable came in the '80's with cnn all news all the time....
yes the 99% liberal media voting journalists,,,slanted drastically to the left



its disgusting today,,,,, the liberal media protected obama for 8 years,,,they filtered the news so it didnt reflect negatively on obama...they loved obama and treated him like a unicorn....
however,,,with trump all the sudden they wake up and attack this guy with everything they have and the worlds in a crisis.......because they hate hate hate trump...
hes only been in office a couple weeks and the media is churning ...the cesspool..

one reason trump won is because so many of us was sick of the media being in bed with corrupt politicians.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-05-2017, 01:54 PM
 
Location: Long Neck , DE
4,384 posts, read 1,828,386 times
Reputation: 6024
At least the BBC news on Public Broadcasting TV gives the news without opinions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-05-2017, 01:59 PM
 
1,231 posts, read 529,692 times
Reputation: 996
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
MSN is no longer what i would call news,in a medium dominated by ratings news has become entertainment, facts have become irrelevant and the sole topic is generally discussing opinion about Trump.
I'll now watch sports and weather on the local news channel but thats about it for news channels
Local news generally is better, and certainly way better than national news will ever be again.


Journalism (when it comes to politics) is dead these days. Nothing more than spin now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-05-2017, 10:35 PM
 
Location: Nesconset, NY
2,188 posts, read 2,825,282 times
Reputation: 2041
Quote:
Originally Posted by chattyneighbor View Post
I remember a journalism class where the teach kept drilling in us - Facts, facts, facts. That's all. Double and triple check accuracy. Nobody cares about your opinion. Nobody wants your slant. They just want to know the facts - that's your job. Give em the facts and let them make sense of it.

Now its ALL biased, slanted, half truths and full out lies. Its not news anymore. Its media. They aren't reporters anymore. They're writers. Journalist is a word of the past.

Seems the media is taking their clue from the brainiacs in hollywood - who, for some reason, we pay WAAAYY too much to for doing way too little. For every star - there's 100 more talented kids yet undiscovered - so why do we value these meatballs to the tune of millions of dollars for a few months work and allow them to purchase the media - formerly - the news?

Comment?
I tend to agree with statements like this:

"Broadly speaking, I donít trust anybody that says the media are biased because the very nature of bias is that itís a perception ó itís something that people see and they base it on what they see. Thereís something called a hostile media effect. Basically whenever people are engaged in an issue ó and thereís no one more engaged than a presidential candidate ó they see coverage as biased against their position, no matter what is it." -Dr. David D'Alessio, Assoc. Prof., Univ. of Conn.

https://www.poynter.org/2016/is-medi...living/435840/

I've read many sources investigating the issue of media bias and, whether it's an analysis of reporting over several decades or surveys of public perception, most conclude it's not so much the media that's biased but those who perceive the media is biased. People tend to believe what they want to believe and gravitate toward whoever reinforces those beliefs and views contradictory reporting as biased.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-01-2017, 12:01 PM
 
124 posts, read 56,573 times
Reputation: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by chattyneighbor View Post
Precisely! We must have been in the same class.
I also remember them saying - and this was drummed in us too - you MUST give equal time to both sides of the story because there are always facts on both sides & it is your job to report them.

That's another thing the media does now - selective reporting. You can have 8 stories where say a white cop helps some black folk in their community and protects them from thugs and the neighbors are happy and thankful - but the news doesn't report it. They only report the one time where the thug is actually just an innocent (of that particular crime anyway) punk kid who doesn't freeze when the cop says freeze and suddenly - the media is all over it because they know the Sharptons of the world will pounce on it & the TV "talent" get the air time they crave, while people are led to believe this is the norm - when facts are - it isn't.
Or when they can't refuse to report something - they will skew it entirely. Like when they kept showing pictures of the streets lined up for Obama versus Trump - claiming nobody came for his inauguration. But they fail to tell you they are showing the street for one at 2 PM as opposed to having the photographs of the other taken at 7 AM.

Speaking as someone who worked as a reporter for several newspapers in the 80s and 90s, I'd say the problem is the diminished role of beat reporters, who seek out, report and write news related to an agency, topic or geographic area. Beat reporters over time gain a vast knowledge of the issues and players. The tricky part is maintaining access to key sources even when some stories they write are sure to anger those sources.


To your point about the police, that's a story I'd definitely push to write and to try to convince my editors to give prominent play in the daily newspaper. Every now and then reporters typically write stories flattering to their sources. Not only to keep them happy and to build trust for that time when reporters will have to write something unflattering, but also because IT IS TRUE THERE ARE GOOD COPS OUT THERE and the public should know that.


Once a reporter writes a "feel good" police story, they can count on local anti police activists accusing the reporter of being in the tank for the authorities. Comes with the job. I believe that if both sides in a story you write are pissed at you, you've done a good job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top