U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-07-2017, 01:26 PM
 
3,538 posts, read 1,988,790 times
Reputation: 6128

Advertisements

All Media is biased and always has been... The issue is that they used to attempt to state facts and support with opinions. Now they state opinions and support with facts. Media also used to attempt to support both or multiple sides/perspective even if they didn't agree.

Now it's all about extremes and half truths.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-08-2017, 08:56 AM
 
2,700 posts, read 5,152,810 times
Reputation: 5514
I like this site: https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/

They have a methodology for analyzing the bias of sites. You may not agree with their findings, but I think their "Least Biased" section is a good place to start when looking for most credible and fact-based reporting.

I've given up completely on any kind of televised media. 24-hour news is one of the worst things that ever happened to our country -- news shouldn't be about ratings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-16-2017, 04:34 AM
 
1,936 posts, read 3,300,856 times
Reputation: 3332
Another act of Ronald Reagan that went pretty much unnoticed at the time. President Reagan eliminated the "Fairness Doctrine" for broadcasting that required all media outlets to promote both sides/all sides of issues. Elimination of this piece of legislation eventually resulted in the formation of Fox News and other media that concentrate on a single political viewpoint - and probably is the single greatest cause of our country's current divisiveness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-16-2017, 06:31 PM
 
Location: Gainesville, FL; formerly Weston, FL
972 posts, read 883,978 times
Reputation: 916
Quote:
Originally Posted by MI-Roger View Post
Another act of Ronald Reagan that went pretty much unnoticed at the time. President Reagan eliminated the "Fairness Doctrine" for broadcasting that required all media outlets to promote both sides/all sides of issues. Elimination of this piece of legislation eventually resulted in the formation of Fox News and other media that concentrate on a single political viewpoint - and probably is the single greatest cause of our country's current divisiveness.
Amen. We don't know who or what to believe. A populace that trusts no one is very dangerous--& you would think the media would get it through their thick skulls but they think they know it all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-18-2017, 05:11 AM
 
33,136 posts, read 39,078,504 times
Reputation: 28484
Quote:
Originally Posted by chattyneighbor View Post
I remember a journalism class where the teach kept drilling in us - Facts, facts, facts. That's all. Double and triple check accuracy. Nobody cares about your opinion. Nobody wants your slant. They just want to know the facts - that's your job. Give em the facts and let them make sense of it.

Now its ALL biased, slanted, half truths and full out lies. Its not news anymore. Its media. They aren't reporters anymore. They're writers. Journalist is a word of the past.
Today most news media have to rely on ratings to stay in business thus the media have become shows with talking heads expressing their opinions following the FOX template,if the content of these shows was just news no one would watch as its too boring as an example watch BBC or Al Jezeera
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-19-2017, 08:52 AM
 
Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,488 posts, read 1,790,588 times
Reputation: 9683
Quote:
Originally Posted by MI-Roger View Post
Another act of Ronald Reagan that went pretty much unnoticed at the time. President Reagan eliminated the "Fairness Doctrine" for broadcasting that required all media outlets to promote both sides/all sides of issues. Elimination of this piece of legislation eventually resulted in the formation of Fox News and other media that concentrate on a single political viewpoint - and probably is the single greatest cause of our country's current divisiveness.
This ^^^^ in a nutshell.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-21-2017, 03:32 PM
 
1,257 posts, read 647,565 times
Reputation: 1039
Quote:
Originally Posted by chattyneighbor View Post
I remember a journalism class where the teach kept drilling in us - Facts, facts, facts. That's all. Double and triple check accuracy. Nobody cares about your opinion. Nobody wants your slant. They just want to know the facts - that's your job. Give em the facts and let them make sense of it.

Now its ALL biased, slanted, half truths and full out lies. Its not news anymore. Its media. They aren't reporters anymore. They're writers. Journalist is a word of the past.

Seems the media is taking their clue from the brainiacs in hollywood - who, for some reason, we pay WAAAYY too much to for doing way too little. For every star - there's 100 more talented kids yet undiscovered - so why do we value these meatballs to the tune of millions of dollars for a few months work and allow them to purchase the media - formerly - the news?

Comment?
Journalism is no longer accomplishing what it should be, unless your forte is local news. They're supposed to be taught to seek facts and report them. That's just not happening, not at the national level. The papers are no better than the electronic media.


And kids today aren't talented anymore. Many of them have had no one to emulate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-27-2017, 04:27 PM
 
Location: SC
8,382 posts, read 5,024,287 times
Reputation: 12029
Quote:
Originally Posted by chattyneighbor View Post
I remember a journalism class where the teach kept drilling in us - Facts, facts, facts. That's all. Double and triple check accuracy. Nobody cares about your opinion. Nobody wants your slant. They just want to know the facts - that's your job. Give em the facts and let them make sense of it.

Now its ALL biased, slanted, half truths and full out lies. Its not news anymore. Its media. They aren't reporters anymore. They're writers. Journalist is a word of the past.

Seems the media is taking their clue from the brainiacs in hollywood - who, for some reason, we pay WAAAYY too much to for doing way too little. For every star - there's 100 more talented kids yet undiscovered - so why do we value these meatballs to the tune of millions of dollars for a few months work and allow them to purchase the media - formerly - the news?

Comment?
Reagan killed it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-14-2017, 02:47 PM
 
Location: San Diego CA
3,838 posts, read 2,899,591 times
Reputation: 6080
Long ago and for many years the television networks presented mostly unbiased news coverage as a public service to their audience even though this aspect of broadcasting never made a profit. Within recent years it was decided that newscasts had to make money. In television land you make a buck by entertaining people. You provide a little real news then add drama, comedy, controversy and an appeal to people's darkest instincts and prejudices to keep the ad revenue rolling in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-16-2017, 08:33 PM
 
393 posts, read 92,101 times
Reputation: 778
Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
Long ago and for many years the television networks presented mostly unbiased news coverage as a public service to their audience even though this aspect of broadcasting never made a profit. Within recent years it was decided that newscasts had to make money. In television land you make a buck by entertaining people. You provide a little real news then add drama, comedy, controversy and an appeal to people's darkest instincts and prejudices to keep the ad revenue rolling in.
Both sides are guilty of this. However, they wouldn't do it if WE didn't buy into it. Follow the money and it leads back to us!
That being said; I watch all the news channels, switching back and forth from right leaning to left leaning to see what "the other side" says. It's interesting, the different spin that people see from the same story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top