Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-18-2017, 12:15 AM
 
3,532 posts, read 2,974,010 times
Reputation: 6324

Advertisements

I enjoy going to the theater. Just wondering if anyone else regularly goes and what you have seen and if you are seeing anything soon?
This year I've seen
The Great Comet (third time)
Dear Evan Hansen
Othello
Jitney

I'm going to see Aladdin this Sunday bc it's the genie's last night.

I'm hoping to see soon
Hello, Dolly
War Paint
Miss Saigon
Sunset Boulevard
Plus more I'm sure lol

How about you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-18-2017, 01:43 AM
 
11,506 posts, read 12,516,933 times
Reputation: 15559
I see about 1-2 shows a year. About 3 years ago, I saw 5 because I had discounts. I would like to see Hello Dolly with the Divine Miss M. The latest trend is to get some big name film or TV star to draw audiences. Kind of a bummer because there are so many talented actors who are very well-known in Broadway theater circles but don't get first shot at these parts. I also enjoy watching Theater Talk to keep up with the newest shows.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-18-2017, 01:59 AM
 
3,532 posts, read 2,974,010 times
Reputation: 6324
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
I see about 1-2 shows a year. About 3 years ago, I saw 5 because I had discounts. I would like to see Hello Dolly with the Divine Miss M. The latest trend is to get some big name film or TV star to draw audiences. Kind of a bummer because there are so many talented actors who are very well-known in Broadway theater circles but don't get first shot at these parts. I also enjoy watching Theater Talk to keep up with the newest shows.
I agree with the stunt casting and sometimes it backfires. For example, I noticed a lot of older people leave the great comet at intermission bc they thought they would be getting a Josh Groban concert. He's great and I think he likes doing the show but the show needs to be marketed different. I'm sure a lot of young people are turned off bc they also think it's a Josh Groban concert.

There's still a lot of discounts for shows. I use Broadway box and theatermania to search. If you qualify and aren't too picky about your seat, TDF has a lot of $40 tickets. Also make sure to sign up for audience rewards. I've earned quite a few free/close to free tickets on there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-18-2017, 10:34 AM
 
16,319 posts, read 12,228,880 times
Reputation: 59155
I try to get to the City at least once a year and take in a few shows. In the last couple years, I've seen Kinky Boots, If/Then, The River, Aladdin, and Something Rotten. I'm heading back in March and have tickets to Miss Saigon (that was my first Broadway show in 1995, and as they say, you never forget your first!), and Sunset Blvd. I'll also enter lottery for Hello Dolly (long shot) and Hamilton (longer shot!) If I somehow get lucky enough to get either of those, I'll forego Sunset.

A tip for anyone who's interested ... I signed up for Audience Rewards and earn points whenever I purchase tickets (even to shows local to me in NC) that I can use for future shows. I also got the Audience Rewards American Express card, and one of the perks is 2 free ticket vouchers after your first purchase. I'm seeing Miss Saigon (fifth row center Orchestra) and Sunset (12th row center Orchestra) for free!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-18-2017, 10:41 AM
 
16,319 posts, read 12,228,880 times
Reputation: 59155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
I see about 1-2 shows a year. About 3 years ago, I saw 5 because I had discounts. I would like to see Hello Dolly with the Divine Miss M. The latest trend is to get some big name film or TV star to draw audiences. Kind of a bummer because there are so many talented actors who are very well-known in Broadway theater circles but don't get first shot at these parts. I also enjoy watching Theater Talk to keep up with the newest shows.
Yeah, but attendance totals overall are up, which means more people are exposing themselves to Broadway and more shows opening. That's good news for the actors and actresses because there are more roles available to them. And while it's true that they're trying to bring big name stars to Broadway, we're also seeing a lot of Broadway stars parlaying their careers into TV and movies. So it's going both ways. Heck, the Divine Miss M got her start on Broadway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-18-2017, 11:05 AM
 
3,532 posts, read 2,974,010 times
Reputation: 6324
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
I try to get to the City at least once a year and take in a few shows. In the last couple years, I've seen Kinky Boots, If/Then, The River, Aladdin, and Something Rotten. I'm heading back in March and have tickets to Miss Saigon (that was my first Broadway show in 1995, and as they say, you never forget your first!), and Sunset Blvd. I'll also enter lottery for Hello Dolly (long shot) and Hamilton (longer shot!) If I somehow get lucky enough to get either of those, I'll forego Sunset.

A tip for anyone who's interested ... I signed up for Audience Rewards and earn points whenever I purchase tickets (even to shows local to me in NC) that I can use for future shows. I also got the Audience Rewards American Express card, and one of the perks is 2 free ticket vouchers after your first purchase. I'm seeing Miss Saigon (fifth row center Orchestra) and Sunset (12th row center Orchestra) for free!!!
Lol, Miss Saigon was my first show, too. 1991 OBC!
A heads up on audience rewards, it's better to call instead of online redemption bc I've learned that offers online that say points only always have an unadvertised points and cash option. I got tickets for dangerous liaisons and falsettos last year but I was short points. I was going to buy some for $100 but the guy told me that I could do 1000 points and $54 cash. He said that there's always that option but not always posted. The Aladdin tickets are 10k points iirc but I called and got them for 2k and $78. I'm in row E center.
I've seen Hamilton 14x but not since the OBC left. I highly recommend dear Evan Hansen. I love the great comet but it's hit or miss with others. It's very different from the typical musical.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-18-2017, 12:20 PM
 
16,319 posts, read 12,228,880 times
Reputation: 59155
Thanks for the Audience Rewards tip! I didn't know that!

JMI's last night on Aladdin should be FANTASTIC. I honestly don't know how the show will survive without him. I appreciate the show as a Disney fan's "gateway drug" into the world of Broadway, but on its own merits, it really doesn't stand muster to other better shows currently open.

Do you ever Stage Door when you go to shows? I collect autographed window cards, and my most recent acquisition is the Aladdin card signed by JMI. Got my picture with him too. Very personable guy. I told him the world desperately needs an album by James Monroe Iglehart ... he laughed. Hopefully his Hamilton exposure will help make that a reality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-18-2017, 12:46 PM
 
31,394 posts, read 26,244,780 times
Reputation: 24250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
I see about 1-2 shows a year. About 3 years ago, I saw 5 because I had discounts. I would like to see Hello Dolly with the Divine Miss M. The latest trend is to get some big name film or TV star to draw audiences. Kind of a bummer because there are so many talented actors who are very well-known in Broadway theater circles but don't get first shot at these parts. I also enjoy watching Theater Talk to keep up with the newest shows.

Given the huge costs in bringing a show to Broadway, all with no promise of success much less return on initial investment backers/producers have been going with a "big name" for a decade or more.


Yes, there are great younger actors and actresses, but without a proven track record to carry a show the thing often won't attract financing. Can think of at least five other actresses would rather see star in the return of "Sunset Blvd" besides Glenn Close. But since my money wasn't put up for the thing.......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-18-2017, 12:53 PM
 
3,532 posts, read 2,974,010 times
Reputation: 6324
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Given the huge costs in bringing a show to Broadway, all with no promise of success much less return on initial investment backers/producers have been going with a "big name" for a decade or more.


Yes, there are great younger actors and actresses, but without a proven track record to carry a show the thing often won't attract financing. Can think of at least five other actresses would rather see star in the return of "Sunset Blvd" besides Glenn Close. But since my money wasn't put up for the thing.......
Great shows always make big (Broadway) stars, big stars don't always make great shows. China Doll with Pacino was the worst. Diane Lane in Cherry Orchard, Cate Blanchett, etc. It just depends. However, if you keep up with theater, you know that there are lots of big names for theater goers but not household names. Christian Borle, Andrew Rannells, Sutton Foster, Annaleigh Ashford, Danny Burstein, etc.
I'm about 40/60 as far as attending for the stars vs the show.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-18-2017, 01:03 PM
 
3,532 posts, read 2,974,010 times
Reputation: 6324
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Thanks for the Audience Rewards tip! I didn't know that!

JMI's last night on Aladdin should be FANTASTIC. I honestly don't know how the show will survive without him. I appreciate the show as a Disney fan's "gateway drug" into the world of Broadway, but on its own merits, it really doesn't stand muster to other better shows currently open.

Do you ever Stage Door when you go to shows? I collect autographed window cards, and my most recent acquisition is the Aladdin card signed by JMI. Got my picture with him too. Very personable guy. I told him the world desperately needs an album by James Monroe Iglehart ... he laughed. Hopefully his Hamilton exposure will help make that a reality.
I stage doored Hamilton in summer of 2015 but check it out, I went so much that I got to go backstage! They are soooo nice. Lin Miranda and I made a video for my dad. There were so many celebs in the audience each time I went. Like everyone from Sally field, Prince, Susan Lucci, Kerry Washington, Spielberg, Jennifer Lopez and so many more.
I stage doored les Miserables for Ramin to get something signed for my cousin.
I stage doored Comet for Lucas Steele last month and he was awesome. Other than that, idr the last time.

Yeah, I'm sure Aladdin isn't the best thing, that's why I avoided it but I always wanted to see JMI before he left and I'm glad I get to see the last one! I'm surprised that he's taking the Jefferson and Lafayette role. I don't see it but then again, I can't see anyone else but Diggs. Lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top