U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2017, 04:27 PM

9,446 posts, read 10,537,218 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
Yes much overrated.. Its just a huge spy tool used by the elite to keep track of everyone!!

I do the best I can to stay far away from any of it! (Especially facebook)
Its made people communicate more but not speak less. FB posts, Twitter people hardly talk on the phone now. All texting. It has some benefits but has really taken over in place of what I remember as real communication. People fight over posts and I know relationships that have suffered over especially political/controversial posts on FB.

I use this site and linked in. I met my my wife on this site as most of you know already. It can bring people together but can pull them apart too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2017, 04:43 PM
Status: "wildly celebrating Cephalopod Week" (set 10 hours ago)

10,284 posts, read 5,286,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonasW View Post
It's all junk that works to keep people from actually socializing.
Right!

Facebook, Twitter, online forums--- oh, wait...

PS - I don't use Facebook. I don't Tweet. But why, if someone else does, are they overrating them? It's rather self-absorbed to insist that when others rate things more highly than you do, they're overrating them, no? I like sushi, The Doors, and mountain climbing, but if the guy next door doesn't like those things I don't insist that he's underrating them - he just likes different things than I.

Old 05-18-2017, 04:54 PM

1,806 posts, read 967,002 times
After a few years on Facebook I have come to the conclusion that Facebook is wasteland. Full of inanity and vacuous comments, like "Checking into Burger King.". Hot topic discussions degenerate into insult screeds and more likely than not, if you do engage in controversial topics, you wind up unfriending those you disagree with or they unfriend you.

All that leaves is useless discussions. Keeping abreast of family members and true friends, of which are but a few, are all I care about.

When I want to engage in political discussions, I'll go to the boards now.

Old 05-19-2017, 07:05 AM

3,808 posts, read 1,357,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
Right!

Facebook, Twitter, online forums--- oh, wait...

PS - I don't use Facebook. I don't Tweet. But why, if someone else does, are they overrating them? It's rather self-absorbed to insist that when others rate things more highly than you do, they're overrating them, no? I like sushi, The Doors, and mountain climbing, but if the guy next door doesn't like those things I don't insist that he's underrating them - he just likes different things than I.
The OP asked a question looking for opinions, I gave mine. Now if the OP said 'Social media is awesome!', and I opined it was overrated that would be another thing. I think maybe you're confused. I stand by my opinion on the merit(s) of social media.

Old 05-21-2017, 04:03 PM

2,103 posts, read 2,151,188 times
Social media is so overrated in my opinion. One can just use it less or not at all if one chooses to do so.

Old 05-22-2017, 03:49 PM

6,480 posts, read 8,659,231 times
I've deleted lots of FB "friends" lately. I'm still deleting, getting down to a small core of people that have something to say that I might care about. It's good for contact w/ old friends or some acquaintances you've lost contact with, but there's so much BS on the site that I find myself using it sparingly.
Twitter is more information based and not that irritating.

Old 05-23-2017, 09:56 AM

1,102 posts, read 313,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanny Goat View Post
I've deleted lots of FB "friends" lately. I'm still deleting, getting down to a small core of people that have something to say that I might care about. It's good for contact w/ old friends or some acquaintances you've lost contact with, but there's so much BS on the site that I find myself using it sparingly.
Twitter is more information based and not that irritating.
I equate fb with high school. The first day of freshman year, you want to be popular but by senior year, you just want to be with your true friends.

Old 05-23-2017, 10:01 AM

15,070 posts, read 45,005,544 times
Facebook plays to emotions and fears. One friend gets upset when his posts aren't "liked" by all the people he knows. Another can't resist political bear-baiting. Another posts only cute cat videos. Another has more mindless patriotic fervor than William Wallace. Another has an ongoing love affair with his lunches. Another rants on for paragraphs about how existence doesn't exist. Another takes delight in getting drunk with friends and trying to paint. In one of the movie groups, I had to block the members whose contributions were limited to googley-eye emojis whenever a good looking actress photo was posted. If something intelligent IS posted, chances are it will scroll off the newsfeed within a few hours.

Needless to say, I've seen graffiti on mens room toilet stalls that had greater indications of intelligence and cogent philosophy. What facebook does have going for it, is nobody has yet come up with a successful odor generator for online material and washing hands is optional.

Old 05-25-2017, 06:22 PM
Status: "Thank you all for the memories 😂" (set 3 days ago)

15,677 posts, read 5,482,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amazinglyme22 View Post
Does not matter if its Facebook, Twitter, Snapchat, Pinterest, Instagram, etc. Is social media overrated?
I've not caught the bug as such although was on FB for while but it wasn't for me.

CD is the full extent of my social media that I can't do without.... Cleariy

Old 05-25-2017, 09:47 PM

28,484 posts, read 28,119,424 times
Overall I think it's had a negative impact on society. There are good uses as any tool has, but it's changed how people behave and not for the better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts