U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2017, 02:21 AM

1,683 posts, read 958,959 times

Advertisements

I just downloaded instagram today. After wondering for over a year if I should branch outside of facebook. Apparently some of the younger kids (my lil sis) said I post too many pic on fb. I do want to share my photos otherwise why take them if no one sees them but at same time I did not want to overload too much n annoy others. So I looked for other avenue.

I researched snap chat & realize if I take the time to snap a pic & share, then it is something I want to stay for years for me to look back at. Not get deleted soon after. I am not going to be posting or engaging in things I dont want memory off. So no snap chat for me

I tried instagram but it is so not personable, I dont think I will stay long. I tried twitter for while but that too is not personable (too much news) I quit.

Two social media i enjoy are facebook to connect n know what's going on. I have met acquaintance at wedding n often found myself referring to a post I saw on fb. Maybe a holiday they went to or something they did. Its grew conversation starter. But there are others who post too much. I am still trying to find my balance.

I also love Pinterest for ideas n i love how its not connected to everyone. Its more idea gathering place. I can see my friends idea but my goal is not to pay attention to them. Its about me
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2017, 10:45 AM

1,471 posts, read 945,952 times
Twitter is fine as is instagram.
FB is a horror show .
The only reason I am still there is the fact that my husbands family in Holland discovered it about 2 years ago and now think that is the only way to contact us . Forget the phone , email, and skype . Also the amount of events I need to attend to in my line of work are now there on a "page " with all the info instead of a website including last minute cancellations or other changes . Very frustrating . I use my laptop for it and do not use messenger on my phone at all , it crashes it and I don't want to live on the phone .

Old 06-07-2017, 07:15 AM

111 posts, read 26,626 times
I definitely see what value someone with an audience could see in social media but it isn't practical and is actually a safety concern when it comes to family and friends. Should the whole world have their eyes prying into your private life? People started pulling their names out of yellow pages phone books in the early 1990s, why would they want to show total strangers who their cousins are and where they live? Nah, social media is good for entertainment and business but don't put your family up there.

Old 06-09-2017, 04:38 PM

1,123 posts, read 342,991 times
People like to express themselves. I get it. Social media is fun and entertaining. I don't use any of them at all. I'm not interested in knowing what my friends and acquaintances are doing, I don't take pictures. I have a Twitter account, but it's to reply to news articles.

The only thing I'll accuse social media is the dumbing down of the English language. Celeb magazines will post tweets and captions in Instagram pictures, and celebrities (and tons of average people) cannot write well at all. When you see that kind of bad writing, you get used to it and it becomes the norm.

I know they write like they talk because they're trying to be personable and friendly and not sound too stuffy and boring (ether that or their writing really does suck), but it's awful seeing the bad grammar and missing punctuation marks. Capitalization and commas are your friends.

Old 06-12-2017, 02:14 PM

4,824 posts, read 6,146,694 times
I like instagram....just looking at pretty pictures of random ppl I dont even know. I don't do any "socializing" on it tho.

Old 06-12-2017, 02:25 PM

1,931 posts, read 473,740 times
I think Twitter is a little overhyped and spend most of my time on Facebook.

Old 06-12-2017, 02:30 PM

6,558 posts, read 6,961,420 times
Did anyone see the piece on 60 Minutes how tech companies are using neuroscience and psychology to deliberately get people addicted to using their phones and social media? It was with Anderson Cooper. It seems like we are all being manipulated psychologically just as a generation ago, we were manipulated with advertising and subliminal messages.

Old 06-12-2017, 02:39 PM

1,931 posts, read 473,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
Did anyone see the piece on 60 Minutes how tech companies are using neuroscience and psychology to deliberately get people addicted to using their phones and social media? It was with Anderson Cooper. It seems like we are all being manipulated psychologically just as a generation ago, we were manipulated with advertising and subliminal messages.
I believe since social media is the main reason people use their phones in public. Back in the year 2000, people only used cell phones for talking and texting which is why you never seen anyone with phones out while walking down the street around that time.

Old 06-12-2017, 02:45 PM

1,598 posts, read 628,162 times
Yes, social media ARE overrated.

Old 06-12-2017, 04:50 PM

190 posts, read 60,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymkt View Post
I believe since social media is the main reason people use their phones in public. Back in the year 2000, people only used cell phones for talking and texting which is why you never seen anyone with phones out while walking down the street around that time.
Yes thats so true!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts