Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2017, 07:08 PM

190 posts, read 246,989 times

Advertisements

Does not matter if its Facebook, Twitter, Snapchat, Pinterest, Instagram, etc. Is social media overrated?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2017, 07:51 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,832,854 times
Yes much overrated.. Its just a huge spy tool used by the elite to keep track of everyone!!

I do the best I can to stay far away from any of it! (Especially facebook)

Old 05-06-2017, 08:05 AM

5,066 posts, read 2,859,743 times
It's all junk that works to keep people from actually socializing. It's amazing how damaging these 'social' networks have become. All the badness they expose has always been there of course but these formats glorify it in a way that emboldens bad people, and bad behavior. Can't think that's a positive. Yes there is good, and some positive aspects, but I have to wonder if it outweighs the bad - ie. what is now in the white house and the general trolling that has become the norm.

Old 05-11-2017, 09:57 AM

862 posts, read 1,196,649 times
It IS overrated !!!

I am becoming to wonder if people even read the comments on Facebook ?? Yes I am on there at the urging of my roommate but I don't log in very often. Yesterday I did log in and announce the deaths of my three rats. I was clear in how they died but I still had many people on there ask "..how did they died ??".

My other pet peeve about Facebook is politics. I had to delete my friendship with another guy on there because he had said Donald Trump and Mike Pence will be sending gay people to straight camps. No links or proof or anything..he just said it. The number of people just waiting for the police and school bus to come to their door is shocking. All thanks to Facebook !!

Oh the little things on Facebook gets so many upset. My roommate posted a pic of me on there yesterday. In the pic I was holding a bottle of Diet Dr. Pepper. Oh my my !!! He must have had over 100 complaints ranging from why I didn't have bottled water to I should be drinking Starbucks Coffee or even Red Bull instead. Whatever !!!

Old 05-11-2017, 10:05 AM

2,205 posts, read 3,332,049 times
Of course it is. I deleted Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and all those from my smartphone. Still I do not miss anything, one is just flooded with tons of irrelevant information, advertisments and junk. If I do not have contact with people other than being facebook friends, usually there is a reason why.

Old 05-11-2017, 11:18 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,738,469 times
I've never been on FB, never twitted and just got rid of TWCable TV. Junk in, junk out.

People are dying twitting and what they do in their autos.

Old 05-18-2017, 10:59 AM

5,020 posts, read 7,447,199 times
Just sophisticated marketing tools.
It seems not too many people get that.
Throw in the fact that it makes the majority of the population social misfits with horrible social skills....what a mess.

Old 05-18-2017, 11:05 AM

3,532 posts, read 3,019,925 times
Yes. I got rid of mine and I've never missed it. I realized that idc what others are doing. The only crappy thing about it is that so many apps want you to log in through FB.

Old 05-18-2017, 11:09 AM

509 posts, read 484,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amazinglyme22 View Post
Does not matter if its Facebook, Twitter, Snapchat, Pinterest, Instagram, etc. Is social media overrated?
Overrated in what way and by whom?

I have found Twitter to be materially beneficial to me. No complaints with it. It puts me in touch with people I otherwise would not have had access to, it helps me publicize things I want publicized, and it is simple to use and undemanding. It's a tool.

This is kind of like asking "are shovels overrated?" Maybe they are, unless you happen to be a gravedigger. Then, they suit their purpose just fine.

Old 05-18-2017, 11:38 AM

3,532 posts, read 3,019,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maliblue View Post
Overrated in what way and by whom?

I have found Twitter to be materially beneficial to me. No complaints with it. It puts me in touch with people I otherwise would not have had access to, it helps me publicize things I want publicized, and it is simple to use and undemanding. It's a tool.

This is kind of like asking "are shovels overrated?" Maybe they are, unless you happen to be a gravedigger. Then, they suit their purpose just fine.
It's definitely useful for certain people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts