Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2017, 11:22 AM

1,801 posts, read 1,948,264 times

Advertisements

In the transportation industry, it's first class vs. coach, the former providing excellent accommodations with more personal service, better entry times, and often better views, with the later having fewer frills and the bare necessities. In the entertainment industry, primary in the music/comedy concert and comic convention businesses, but also in the sports and museum/tourist attraction, a similar "class divide" usually exists, normally between General Admission (which frankly, isn't as much of a value as it once was) and more expensive VIP packages. The former tends to have average to nosebleed seats, fair to poor visibility of the featured performers, a very low chance of obtaining an autograph of the featured performer, and sometimes, lower parking privileges. VIP usually means seating in the first few rows, a better chance of meeting the artist in person and receiving an autograph, great visibility and sound, and in the case of tourist attractions, visiting certain exhibits or bonus tours that aren't available with general admission. VIP tickets are often more difficult to receive due to the die-hard fans that are quick to be fulfilling to go all out to have the experience of a lifetime for them.

The purpose of this topic is simply about your experiences and the different categories in terms of how you wished you had a VIP seat, were fine with the value of the GA ticket, or upgraded to VIP and didn't find it as special as you thought it would be, namely in the form of just a better seat. For example, sometimes you see conventions or tours with three, four, or five acts on the bill and you see something about a VIP package gives you the "chance" to meet them in person, and you were randomly chosen one rather the one of your choice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2017, 03:31 PM

2,790 posts, read 1,641,987 times
When I go to a concert, I will pay for an orchestra seat. I usually sit about 10 rows from the front.

I'm usually very frugal, but I figure the singer is coming to my area once, and I have no idea when they'll come back, so I am fine paying for it just once. My limit is about $350.

I wanted to go to a Jennifer Lopez concert in Las Vegas, but orchestra seats were $800. HECK NO. Not for 2 hours. I don't care who it is.

I will NOT buy any VIP package because I don't want to meet any of them. It's like Adele said when she met her idol. She was disappointed. It's a real possibility and I don't want to be disappointed, so I'd rather not even meet them at all. Besides, the cost isn't worth it. Not at all.

Old 06-11-2017, 08:57 AM

5,066 posts, read 2,858,764 times
I can't really get into the 'meet' VIP thing. They don't want to meet you, they are being paid to be polite - and aren't always polite. That sounds awful. In that moment it just seems weird and awkward. The distance is too far.

Old 06-13-2017, 05:34 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,533,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonasW View Post
I can't really get into the 'meet' VIP thing. They don't want to meet you, they are being paid to be polite - and aren't always polite. That sounds awful. In that moment it just seems weird and awkward. The distance is too far.
how i feel as well

i like their product, not their personality so no reason to meet them

back to airline, i like first class product i buy it, i dont need to meet the ceo or pilot

i like the music/concert, i buy the experience and not the singer

Old 08-17-2017, 12:47 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,719,045 times
I got to several concerts a month. With regards to concerts and theater tickets what type of ticket I get depends on the venue and how much I like the group. Other times it is just about price and availability.

I have paid as low as $15 and as has as $400 per ticket. I have never done VIP as often I find that in terms of concert that suggests you are paying for a meet and greet with the artist and I totally just think that is strange and have no interest is standing there like a psycho stalker to take a photo with an artist and have a phony paid for conversation.

If I like the artist a lot I will try to get floor and as close a possible. Even if you have the money these seats are hard to get at times and it sometimes boils down to luck.

I have only sat front one once and it was totally luck!!!

I have done floor seats a bunch of times and it was good, but it can be a gamble as if you get someone tall in front of you ... it can suck. Usually it has worked out. I find the usher/ security staff are niecer when you have better seats. The crowds in the cheaper seats are always way more fun ! Ex outfield at a baseball game lol... noisey and hyper :P!

Also in some venues with great view in most spots it is just not worth paying 2 to 3 times more for a ticket.

In some cases the artist is so popular you should be greatful you actually got a ticket ex U2, Mumford and Sons, The Lumeniers, Cat Stevens, The Tragically Hip, ADELE ( that was nuts!!!!). When these artists have concerts if you want to get a ticket you hit best available as soon as they go on sale and buy whatever comes up or you are not going to get a ticket. It look be 2 hours trying to get one ticket for Adele even though she has 4 dates up for sale!!! CRAZY! In some event just be happy you even got a ticket.

I only do floor ticket if I really like an artist or that is the only ticket I can get that is left and I need to chose between that and nothing. That happen to me for the last U2 and Cat Stevens concert. It was pay $300-400 for a good seat or have to buy a $60-$70 ticket for $300 from a scalper. The time before the last Cat Stevens concerts you could not even find a scalper selling a ticket below a $1000 per ticket.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts