U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2017, 08:06 PM

24,809 posts, read 24,471,996 times

Advertisements

Surprised there wasn't a thread for this. Just got home from the traveling show. So many people told me it was "amazing" that I had a hard time believing I would like it.

Surprisingly I did. I generally like history, and it was interesting to see the story of the founding of America fork a different Kens. I think what I liked most, as a person who came of age in the "hip hop era," was having a musical rooted in the music styles I listen to most and use the storytelling style I "grew up" with. Also the dancing was fun too.

I know this show is doing well with people my age and younger as it is literally one of the few "pop" musicals in our pop music. If you were born after 1990 or so, your pop music is hip hop.

That being said - there is still plenty for "older" audiences. The lyrics are great, the songs are catchy and it has a fast paced story line.

Did you see it? What did you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2017, 05:08 PM

13,932 posts, read 24,787,105 times
There is only one other thread about Hamilton and it is about it vs My Fair Lady and it didn't get any replies.

Old 06-19-2017, 08:01 PM

3,901 posts, read 1,655,948 times
Haven't seen it. It will likely be many many years before I do. Because as much as I love Broadway, I'm not willing to pay the prices they've been getting for the tickets. And frankly, anytime there's this level of hype about anything, it makes me NOT want to see it.

Old 06-20-2017, 04:06 PM
Status: "Bling! Bling! Bling! Watch it sparkle : )!" (set 15 hours ago)

5,268 posts, read 2,074,314 times
Default ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Haven't seen it. It will likely be many many years before I do. Because as much as I love Broadway, I'm not willing to pay the prices they've been getting for the tickets. And frankly, anytime there's this level of hype about anything, it makes me NOT want to see it.
I was in Manhattan and regret not seeing it. It was like REALLY expensive for the tickets. It is coming to Toronto in a few years and tickets for theatre here are mush less then in Manhattan so I guess I will just wait. If I did happen to be in Manhattan again before then and got a last minute ticket even at full price I would see it. I have listened to the sound track and liked it.

I really like the style of the production.

I have lived in London England and in Toronto and in both places I found theatre tickets are way cheaper. No sure why theatre tickets in NYC have to be soooo expensive. It makes is less and less accessable for the average person. In London I could get tickets for shows that costed as much as a move ticket. So it was still much more accessable. Toronto is not that cheap.... but ex good luck finding a ticket for under $30. Between $30-50 difficulty to get and very limited seats at this price. Most shows are $50 to $250 a seat in Canadian. In NYC is was CRAZY expensive at least as a visitor.

Glad she enjoyed the show. Looking forward to seeing it.

Old 06-20-2017, 06:04 PM

6,344 posts, read 6,726,579 times
Glad you enjoyed it. This is one show that I have no interest in seeing. I know that Hamilton won all the big Tony's last year. I enjoyed this year's presentation but I only bothered to see one show so far this year. Nothing really interested me. I've never seen a tour company version of any Broadway show. I'm sure they are all high quality and as you mentioned, much cheaper, unless get some sort of discount or win one of the daily lotteries.

Old 06-20-2017, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
I was in Manhattan and regret not seeing it. It was like REALLY expensive for the tickets. It is coming to Toronto in a few years and tickets for theatre here are mush less then in Manhattan so I guess I will just wait. If I did happen to be in Manhattan again before then and got a last minute ticket even at full price I would see it. I have listened to the sound track and liked it.

I really like the style of the production.

I have lived in London England and in Toronto and in both places I found theatre tickets are way cheaper. No sure why theatre tickets in NYC have to be soooo expensive. It makes is less and less accessable for the average person. In London I could get tickets for shows that costed as much as a move ticket. So it was still much more accessable. Toronto is not that cheap.... but ex good luck finding a ticket for under $30. Between $30-50 difficulty to get and very limited seats at this price. Most shows are $50 to $250 a seat in Canadian. In NYC is was CRAZY expensive at least as a visitor.

Glad she enjoyed the show. Looking forward to seeing it.
It's possible to get lower cost tickets in NYC. I've seen probably 10 shows over the last 4 years, and I've paid as little as nothing (new credit card perk), $10 for rush seats, and up to $70-80 for TKTS tickets or researching discount codes online. I haven't paid more than $80 in a long time. I guess that's part of the reason I have no interest in seeing Hamilton. I've seen fantastic shows for a fraction of the price. When I'm in NYC, I enter the online lottery for Hamilton. If I can get a $10 ticket, I'll absolutely go. But there's no way I'll pay $400+

It's coming to Durham in 2018, but word has it that priority sales will go to people who are season ticket holders for both the 2017-2018 and the 2018-2019 seasons. Since I'm not, and since those people will likely snatch up every possible ticket, I already know that my chances of getting tickets at a reasonable cost are next to zero. (By the way, it wouldn't surprise me if they did the same thing in Toronto.)

I'm guessing it'll be a decade or so before discount tickets are available. I'm in no hurry. I'll wait. If it's good now, it'll be good then. LOL

Old 06-20-2017, 11:10 PM

24,809 posts, read 24,471,996 times
Quote:
I was definitely on the fence due to the hype but found it fun. The tickets were pricier than other shows here in SF - we spent $180 for mezzanine seats. But not horrible. The last show I saw was more like $135 for similar seats. I was willing to spend up to $200.

Old 06-21-2017, 10:30 AM

21,809 posts, read 20,223,189 times
Quote:
I feel the same way as you do, however, I do know a young woman, who went to see it twice.....she loved it, and couldn't talk enough about it, bought the book about it, and knows all the songs by heart. She said the story was tremendous and to be honest, I didn't know all those things about him. Quit interesting.

Old 06-25-2017, 06:27 PM

2,569 posts, read 2,172,905 times
We're going to NYC next month and checked prices. Cheapest seats were $300.00 apiece for four people. We won't be going.

Old 06-26-2017, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
We're going to NYC next month and checked prices. Cheapest seats were $300.00 apiece for four people. We won't be going.
Try entering the online lottery each day. It's a (very) long shot, and even if you win, you'll only get 2 tickets (I think $10 a piece?) but it's worth a try.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts