Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2017, 02:32 PM

253 posts, read 228,858 times

Advertisements

Nope! We used to have several in my area, but they've all gone the way of the dinosaur. I get it, but it's kinfd of a shame, I sort of miss the experience of going and picking things out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2017, 05:52 PM

21,749 posts, read 28,070,632 times
Sort of.

Hamden's Best Video: No Longer a Video Store, But Better | A&E | connecticutmag.com

They’re now classified as a non-profit performing space and a “membership only video archive”.

Old 12-02-2017, 06:05 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,589,306 times
The Hastings in Spokane closed quite a while ago.............good riddance, that store was very unimpressive and that is putting it very mildly.

Old 12-02-2017, 06:08 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,378,016 times
There is an old video store in my area that closed down recently. It's strange to see the video return slot on the outside of the store, as well as the standing cases where the videos were displayed. It bring back memories of the 80s and 90s.

Old 12-04-2017, 03:26 PM

17,302 posts, read 22,030,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
We have two one of which isn't worth mentioning but the other is! I believe we have one of the best video rental stores I have ever seen, can't find it here then give it up.

I ask because for the most part you don't see Block Busters, Etc,

Anymore it's Redbox these days.
Orbit DVD Asheville
The only video stores left are in bad neighborhoods and have XXX in their name!

Old 12-08-2017, 11:23 AM

2,575 posts, read 2,076,440 times
Yes, Family Video still does well here

Old 12-11-2017, 02:21 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,982,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanW127 View Post
Nope! We used to have several in my area, but they've all gone the way of the dinosaur. I get it, but it's kinfd of a shame, I sort of miss the experience of going and picking things out.
In more ways than one!

If Net Neutrality goes, it's not a point of just going back to the old way of getting our entertainment because that way no longer exists.

If it goes, we will either have to take what they are selling or be left with nothing.

Old 12-12-2017, 06:29 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,254,280 times
No, but I remember the days when Blockbuster was really the only place to rent movies and because they had a monopoly on the video renting market, they were complete jerks by charging outrageous fees. Once Netflix came along - the Netflix where your three videos were delivered by mail and you could keep them as long as you liked and when you returned one or three or however many, you could get that many more - I dumped Blockbuster and never looked back. I was happy to see Blockbuster go out of business.

Old 12-13-2017, 05:43 AM

1,804 posts, read 1,952,089 times
There's a store named Video 95 just outside of DC in the Langley Park neighborhood, and Silver Spring has a couple record stores that has a little DVD/VHS section. I remember early this decade that one would sell some for around 50 cents a piece, a great, cheap way for some tangible entertainment. The last Blockbuster closed. Of course, before Blockbuster got big around the turn of the '90s, Erol's was the go to place for rentals, and they had their huge cases with plastic and sponge foam, and had their own video club. They were the largest video store chain for awhile.

Baltimore surprisingly still has an adult video store, generically called Video Outlet on US 40 (Pulaski Highway) near I-895. And surprisingly, White Marsh Mall still has a Suncoast.

Old 12-13-2017, 03:52 PM

23,652 posts, read 13,982,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
No, but I remember the days when Blockbuster was really the only place to rent movies and because they had a monopoly on the video renting market, they were complete jerks by charging outrageous fees. Once Netflix came along - the Netflix where your three videos were delivered by mail and you could keep them as long as you liked and when you returned one or three or however many, you could get that many more - I dumped Blockbuster and never looked back. I was happy to see Blockbuster go out of business.
I was never one of Blockbuster's major customers. I think I did have a card for the one time I rented from them while visiting Mom, but mine was Hastings and then some mom&pops here and there.

When their stores started closing down, I went to the local sale of their stock. I picked up a War of the Worlds "box" and was shocked to find that for something that was suppose to have two DVDs in it that it only had one.

What a business, making its customers have to rent twice for what is marketed as two in one. No wonder they went out of business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts