U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2018, 08:55 PM

790 posts, read 384,578 times

Advertisements

Am I the only one who uses tv, movies and music to be entertained anymore? I'm reading some of these threads and am just like come on people! Some of y'all are researching types of technique used in hospitals in the 90s because a character died of smoke inhalation. Or the government assassination agency on TV seemed unlikely. And don't get me started on the superhero movies! Are you guys aware of the fact that these shows are based on pure fiction and are NOT documentary series.

Rant over

Maybe I'm alone here but why pick apart a show you like? At least one you liked enough to sit through.

PS it's not just CD posters but also YOUTUBE vloggers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2018, 01:14 PM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,474 posts, read 1,727,713 times
You are not alone. I use the medium exactly what it is ment for, entertainment.

Old 02-11-2018, 04:30 PM

10,274 posts, read 12,266,057 times
I agree. It's entertainment. Many movies require a suspension of disbelief. Action movies especially. The hero gets thrown though glass windows, shot at with machine guns and avoids death in the most dire situations, and defeats the main baddie on a rooftop in a thunderstorm despite said baddie beating him or her like a drum for 10 minutes. Cut to hero making a wisecrack while the pre credits music starts.

And it's still great for people who will enjoy the movie as is. Not shouting "no way" at the screen.

Old 02-15-2018, 11:44 AM

4,956 posts, read 4,411,431 times
The entertainment industry is well,..., an industry like many others.

Thus the entertainment forum is IMHO, an appropriate place to discuss topics, such as the Red Scare that swept through the industry from 1919 through the McCarthy era, & particularly incidents such as those involving the Hollywood 10.

Old 02-18-2018, 10:12 PM

790 posts, read 384,578 times
Kovert I agree with you on discussing the industry but I was referring to the shows and sometimes music. It seems over analyzed for something that is supposed to be enjoyed. It’s supposed to be entertaining first and foremost. Some people are just taking the fun out of it.

Old 02-25-2018, 05:36 PM

2,001 posts, read 734,412 times
MST3K could have just as much fun with any serious Hollywood picture, they are all equally ridiculous.

Old 03-02-2018, 10:59 AM

16,702 posts, read 50,755,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Va83 View Post
Kovert I agree with you on discussing the industry but I was referring to the shows and sometimes music. It seems over analyzed for something that is supposed to be enjoyed. Itís supposed to be entertaining first and foremost. Some people are just taking the fun out of it.
1. It is intended to make money first and foremost. Entertainment is secondary. Witness the way that otherwise entertaining movies are chopped up on television to insert ads, which create more revenue.

2. If you were a fly on the wall at some of the back room discussions you would have a much more jaded view. "Will this offend that group?" "Will we get more play by inserting this, which we know is not true?" "Will this further the agenda of the moneymen who fund the shooting of the film?"

Just as the unexamined life is not worth living, unexamined "entertainment" can create social unrest and a nation of compliant idiots. Movies barely dodged the bullet of overt ongoing censorship by the government during the McCarthy era. There is recognition that media IS a form of propaganda.

Is there over-analyzing and needlessly picky flame wars? Of course. Just remember that attitudes are formed by the media and you risk your freedoms by always saying "It is just entertainment."

Old 03-03-2018, 02:02 PM

4,956 posts, read 4,411,431 times
Again the entertainment industry is all about the show but don't forget the show is all about the bottom line of the biz.

Nike "I Am Not a Role Model" commercial w/Charles Barkley - 1993

No argument here.

As I said before in a post on another of this here boards' forums, that some of the sci-fi (fantasy, science fiction, horror, etc) that I have found the most entertaining did not have ANY of the mainstream bling awards, pop paparazzi, nor any of the big moneys, etc AND THANK GOD FOR THAT.

Last edited by kovert; 03-03-2018 at 02:11 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or