Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2018, 01:34 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,841,613 times

Advertisements

Can be in the theater or a road production...

Last edited by greatblueheron; 01-09-2018 at 02:50 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2018, 01:56 PM

3,532 posts, read 3,018,259 times
I've been so lucky to see so many original Broadway casts. These are the ones that really stand out. All Broadway productions, I'm not including off Broadway but rest assured that a lot of the stuff there blows me away.

Favorite
Hamilton
Jelly's Last Jam
Topdog/Underdog

Honorable mentions
ALL of the August Wilson plays
The Great Comet
Guys and Dolls (revival with Nathan and Faith)
The Color Purple (revival)
Beauty Queen of Leenane
A View from the Bridge (Ivo Van Hove revival)
Gypsy (Lupone/Benanti)
Frost/Nixon
Bloody, Bloody Andrew Jackson
Vanya and Sonia and Masha and Spike
Passing Strange
Annie Get Your Gun

Old 01-09-2018, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellob View Post
I've been so lucky to see so many original Broadway casts. These are the ones that really stand out. All Broadway productions, I'm not including off Broadway but rest assured that a lot of the stuff there blows me away.

Favorite
Hamilton
Jelly's Last Jam
Topdog/Underdog

Honorable mentions
ALL of the August Wilson plays
The Great Comet
Guys and Dolls (revival with Nathan and Faith)
The Color Purple (revival)
Beauty Queen of Leenane
A View from the Bridge (Ivo Van Hove revival)
Gypsy (Lupone/Benanti)
Frost/Nixon
Bloody, Bloody Andrew Jackson
Vanya and Sonia and Masha and Spike
Passing Strange
Annie Get Your Gun
Lucky you!

I've seen the usual tourist shows...Cats, Phantom of the Opera, Black and Blue, 42nd Street, On Your Toes,
Timbuktoo, Rent, Eubie Blake show, Lion King, Beauty and the Beast, Sunset Boulevard, and a few more
I can't remember...

Old 01-09-2018, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Lucky you!

I've seen the usual tourist shows...Cats, Phantom of the Opera, Black and Blue, 42nd Street, On Your Toes,
Timbuktoo, Rent, Eubie Blake show, Lion King, Beauty and the Beast, Sunset Boulevard, and a few more
I can't remember...
I saw Shuffle Along a couple years ago, it was about the making of the Eubie Bank and Nobel Sissle show they wrote.

I've never seen Phantom or Cats. I've kinda wanted to see Phantom but now it's just foreign tourists who talk loud the entire time and take pictures per the Broadway website I peruse. I'm too anal about theater etiquette so I'd probably flip.
I saw the Sunset Blvd revival last year. I can't remember what all I've seen, I keep my playbills and go through them now and then. It's cool to look at the casts from the 90s and realize that you saw a lot of pre famous people. One thing I never do is look at the playbill beforehand. It recently bit me in the butt. I saw Dear Evan Hansen in 2016 and didn't even realize that Michael Park was the dad. I was a huge As the World Turns fan and I would have been stage dooring him for sure. It's funny bc even though I sat close, I didn't know it was him. Lol

Old 01-09-2018, 06:39 PM

I used to keep my playbills too...until I moved again a few yrs ago.

Maybe you can see Phantom in a touring show...it is a great show and the music of Andrew Lloyd Webber and Tim Rice is awesome....you've likely heard part of the songs, it was such a hit when it first opened. I saw Cats 3 times, 2 times in Bdwy theater and once touring...because of course, I love cats! That music too was wonderful.

I didn't even try to get Hamilton tkts....you must live in NYC or close by...again, lucky one!!

Old 01-09-2018, 09:15 PM

30,311 posts, read 51,912,730 times
I used to see shows regularly, and even played in the orchestra pit for a number of community productions! Been a while since the last one, so my favorites are mostly older shows...

Les Miserables (3x now)
Rent
The Lion King
Dreamgirls
My Fair Lady
Fiddler on the Roof
Tommy
The Producers
Little Shop of Horrors
Annie

Old 01-10-2018, 11:25 AM

919 posts, read 789,202 times
Well I grew up on long island NY and used to go see shows back then (60s)

Was fortunate to see some great ones on Broadway...The Sound of Music, Oliver, Hello Dolly, and a show called She Loves Me that closed shortly after
Dave

Old 01-10-2018, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauialoha View Post
Well I grew up on long island NY and used to go see shows back then (60s)

Was fortunate to see some great ones on Broadway...The Sound of Music, Oliver, Hello Dolly, and a show called She Loves Me that closed shortly after
Dave
They did a really good revival of She Loves Me 2 years ago. I enjoyed it. It had Laura Benanti, Jane Krakowski, Gavin Creel and Zachary Levi.
They broadcasted it on Great Performances in November. I haven't seen it but if you're interested, it may be available to stream.

Old 01-10-2018, 01:40 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,143,628 times
The Great Comet of 1812
Cats (off Broadway in '76 and recently on Oasis of the Seas)
Evita

Old 01-10-2018, 07:08 PM

16,414 posts, read 12,487,571 times
For me, it's ...

On Broadway
Miss Saigon (saw this twice, including the current revival. The first time in 1995 was actually my first experience seeing a Broadway show. They say you never forget your first! )
Wicked
Mary Poppins
Promises, Promises
Lady Day at Emerson's Bar & Grill (saw this one the same day that Audra won the Tony!)
The River
If/Then

Touring Productions
Les Miserables
Rent

Edited because I didn't realize we were just sharing favorites. LOL! I had to edit down!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts