U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2018, 11:16 PM
235 posts, read 54,417 times

For many many (so many) years I've wanted to learn how to do just beyond basic animation without going to university again. I just want to help promote a non-profit animal rescue I work with on youtube and through our organization's facebook page. I have tons of short video images in my head but I have no idea how to transfer those images to a screen. I'm not looking to change my career or anything I just want to learn enough to make something people will be willing to watch that doesn't look very basic. I'll never work for Pixar or Disney- I'm not expecting that but I'd like to go past a moving circle bouncing to some tune moving in a line across a screen

My background is totally academic- I'm good with writing, research and public speaking but I'm not a visual artist and generally stink with eye-hand coordination (vision impaired) but in my mind I have great little videos that want to come out. I just have no idea how to make it happen. So I'm looking to learn slowly and with a low initial investment of just a few hundred dollars- so programs that cost 5 grand are right out and programs that utilize free hand drawing are right out. Lets just say I think Simon's Cat videos are way way out of my league as far as line drawing goes. Realistically 500 to 800 dollars is what I'd consider to be a big investment but I'm willing to go that high to find out if I can actually learn the skills and make something usable for our organization.

The farthest I ever got with computer graphics was with paint shop pro a bunch of years ago. I was pretty good- serviceable lol maybe even somewhat artistically talented. I'm not the worst with a computer but I'm not the best either. So I'm looking for ideas and steps that are realistic. I know there are no shortcuts for professional looking animation, that I'd need to go to school all over again, but that's not feasible for me right now considering I'm not expecting to ever make a dime or become a pro with animation. I earned my degree and am still paying that one off I just want to get the ideas out and maybe help my non-profit org. I just want to find out if I can do anything at all. If it sticks- if I don't totally stink and fail then who knows. I just need to play with the idea. But this is not like going out and buying a set of oil paints, an easel and a few brushes for a low investment only to find that I am covered in guar-gum and have a canvass of smudges that look like the rear end smudge of one of animals my rescue works with.

Can anyone recommend some first steps that are obtainable online that will take me beyond the very basics. Flash was appealing years ago but it's pretty dead right now and not well supported on modern devices. I'm willing to put in time and years if I have to- because the urge to learn has never left. The desire has been gnawing at my ankles for about 20 years.

As my hand-eye coordination is really shoddy I'm not looking for drawing programs but instead I'll be looking to use photos or existing videos and animate them or use a program to turn them into cartoon images that I can then animate.

I just need a starting point. Any ideas are so welcome if anyone has any.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 08:17 AM
7,719 posts, read 6,197,668 times
Google free animation maker.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or