U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2018, 08:56 AM

6,575 posts, read 2,562,752 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
You know the meal/drink service is optional, right?

You're lucky to have a clean dollar theater. Ours is an absolute pit. By the time the movie is over, you want a full Silkwood shower. I won't waste my dollar there (it's actually $2.50, but same difference)
Meal/drink service is optional the way buying something when you sit in a Starbucks is optional.

Yes, you can go to Starbucks and not buy anything and use up one of their chairs.

Yes, you can go to these movies with very few seats and standard price movie tickets and not purchase dinner and drinks, but they would close down if most people did that.

Their profit structure relies on people buying above the price of the ticket. I'm really very uncomfortable doing that, like I wouldn't go into Starbucks and not order something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2018, 04:42 PM

6,985 posts, read 8,154,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
I know reserved seating tends to be the norm in other venues such as operas and the like, but more theaters these days have reserved seating where you can purchase seats in advance online and pick your seats.

Some people dislike the concept, but I absolutely love it.

In my neck of the woods, it's a mix, with more theaters that have open seating than reserved. But I usually go to reserved seating even though they charge a premium for the seating.

I like it because you can pick ahead of time where you want to sit, plus reserved seat theaters tend to be much nicer than open theaters. The pleather seat is comfortable and reclines, and there really isn't a bad seat because there's so much space in front of you that no one will block your view, and no one behind you can kick your seat. Open theater seats are plain nasty, with funk from how many gross people built up over the years.

Reserved seating is also common in theaters overseas. I've been to Japan and Taiwan and they have reserved seating for their movies. But unlike American theaters, the seats aren't that great and are just like the open theater seats we have in the U.S.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local...=.4237a7ce1e61
I never knew this was a thing.

Old 04-14-2018, 04:40 AM

63 posts, read 22,235 times
I think it's a pain. It takes forever to buy a ticket only to discover I chose a ticket right next to a rowdy group of boys.

Old 04-16-2018, 01:19 PM

21,005 posts, read 15,193,346 times
I only see movies at theaters with reserved seating.
Probably because all of the local theaters that I patronize have reserved seating (two AMCs and a Movie Tavern.)
I don't find the process of choosing a seat that onerous and I love getting the seat that I want to sit in, so it's a win-win for me.
The way that the theaters are set up now, even when reclining there is never anyone's head in my way and the reclining seats ensure a huge amount of space between each row.

I pretty much only go to Movie Tavern for morning shows so I always plan to have breakfast while there.
It's part of the fun.

I can't imagine ever going to see a movie now and not knowing in advance where I'll be sitting, particularly when I attend with my grand kids. I remember back in the "old" days, trying to see some big movie with my kids and a) having to wait on line forever and b) not being able to sit together.
Never again.

Old 04-16-2018, 07:12 PM

324 posts, read 91,850 times
I like it yeah

Old 04-16-2018, 07:31 PM

9,780 posts, read 5,755,853 times
Yes. Reserved seating has been a plus. We often go to The Alamo. One location had reserved but the other one didn't until fairly recent. The food and drink options are good too.

Old 04-19-2018, 07:46 AM

3,863 posts, read 7,408,234 times
THe whole thing is ridiculous along with buying seats online. I prefer to show up present my money, enter, and find a seat.

Old 04-22-2018, 10:36 AM

82 posts, read 33,371 times
Definitely love the reserved seating option. I feel that it has changed the movie theater game for the better. These come with reserved seats so you dont have to get to the theater 30 minutes early just to find a good seat, they also are usually bigger seats and the one near us reclines! The food and drink delivery to your seat is a bonus!

Old 04-25-2018, 12:43 PM

1,778 posts, read 760,567 times
Never heard of that, we just have a regular move theatre here.

We did just get new seats that give you more room/more comfy

Old 04-26-2018, 12:05 PM

147 posts, read 89,361 times
It depends. I generally prefer the theaters that have reserved seating, but it can be a pain in the ass when you just want to catch a movie on a whim and all the good seats were bought in advance. That's how I ended up seeing IT in the front row.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or