U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2018, 06:29 PM

13,101 posts, read 7,199,642 times

Advertisements

I know reserved seating tends to be the norm in other venues such as operas and the like, but more theaters these days have reserved seating where you can purchase seats in advance online and pick your seats.

Some people dislike the concept, but I absolutely love it.

In my neck of the woods, it's a mix, with more theaters that have open seating than reserved. But I usually go to reserved seating even though they charge a premium for the seating.

I like it because you can pick ahead of time where you want to sit, plus reserved seat theaters tend to be much nicer than open theaters. The pleather seat is comfortable and reclines, and there really isn't a bad seat because there's so much space in front of you that no one will block your view, and no one behind you can kick your seat. Open theater seats are plain nasty, with funk from how many gross people built up over the years.

Reserved seating is also common in theaters overseas. I've been to Japan and Taiwan and they have reserved seating for their movies. But unlike American theaters, the seats aren't that great and are just like the open theater seats we have in the U.S.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local...=.4237a7ce1e61
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2018, 02:28 PM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,070 posts, read 1,416,700 times
I do like reserved seating. As you stated, the seats are comfortable and more leg room for those of us with long legs.

Old 03-18-2018, 04:16 PM

5,972 posts, read 2,815,664 times
I like being able to check to see if a prefered seat is available before even leaving the house. And no need to get there super early to get a good seat.

Frankly, I'm surprised that ticket prices didn't jump much higher considering how many seats were lost when converting these theaters. Fewer rows, and fewer seats per row. Not complaining, of course!

Old 03-18-2018, 09:54 PM

5,190 posts, read 2,646,656 times
For trying to get a weekend seat and the big community event movie it is fine. What I hate is that random showings of movies not doing very well have reserved seating for the 10 people in a Tuesday matinee. And we have to spend the time to pick a seat as well as pay more for the inconvenience.

Old 03-18-2018, 11:08 PM

9,316 posts, read 5,729,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Frankly, I'm surprised that ticket prices didn't jump much higher considering how many seats were lost when converting these theaters. Fewer rows, and fewer seats per row. Not complaining, of course!
The theater we used to go to doubled their prices after converting to reserved seating. There is another theater just 5 minutes away, so we started going there instead.

I don't care for the reserved seating. We usually try to go when the theater isn't going to be crowded, but without fail someone always ends up picking the seats right next to us, even though there are 10 other rows of empty seats to choose from. I always find that annoying. We can't move since we might be sitting in someone else's seats, and without fail anytime people chose to sit right next to us they end up talking and texting throughout the movie. It seems like in a non reserved theater, people tend to spread out a little more.

Old 03-19-2018, 02:32 PM

16,231 posts, read 49,023,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
The theater we used to go to doubled their prices after converting to reserved seating. There is another theater just 5 minutes away, so we started going there instead.

I don't care for the reserved seating. We usually try to go when the theater isn't going to be crowded, but without fail someone always ends up picking the seats right next to us, even though there are 10 other rows of empty seats to choose from. I always find that annoying. We can't move since we might be sitting in someone else's seats, and without fail anytime people chose to sit right next to us they end up talking and texting throughout the movie. It seems like in a non reserved theater, people tend to spread out a little more.
This is common, and IIRC Cinemark is a repeat offender. I haven't bothered to delve into the various reasons, but based upon past experience and having designed software for reserved seating, I suspect that it is because of a combination of poor software, concessions to the online ticketing venues like fandango, and poor management.

I remember going to one show where supposedly 90% of the seats were not available and reserved, only to turn up and find myself and a half-dozen other people going WTF? When are all the other customers going to arrive? In another situation, the seat I was able to book was horrible, and I just found an empty one that was better located, screw the ASSigned seating software. Management would have found a stinging bee if they had attempted to enforce their seating on me.

Writing assigned seat software is easy to do poorly, but a bear to do properly, especially since seating in a partially filled auditorium has to take in a number of variables, and when the latecomers arrive there may be no time to allow them to ponder their seating choices and still get everyone in.

I can say with assurance that you weren't assigned seats like that by my software. Default was "start at the sweet spot," place two seats between people booking separately in the same row, skip every other row at first to allow sightlines, work out from the sweetspot to a manager designated zone, allow some seats to be emergency only use seats, and cutoff when the software would assertively assign rather than allow customers to choose seats.

I find myself going to an older small theatre rather than screw around with the hassle of assigned seats and a huge theatre with a staff that isn't as friendly or community oriented.

Old 03-20-2018, 07:55 PM

2,643 posts, read 4,957,613 times
I love the chairs themselves. I do think assigned seating (and the smaller capacity of the individual auditoriums) limits the spontaneity of movie-going. If I'm going to go to one of those theatres, I have to plan ahead.

Old 03-20-2018, 07:57 PM

2,768 posts, read 1,556,900 times
Of course if I can get the perfect seats I’ll turn around and drive home. I want to watch the movie I want to see at the time I want to see it with the perfect seats or else I’ll stay at home.

Old 03-20-2018, 08:03 PM

4,067 posts, read 1,540,461 times
In my area, the reserved seating theaters also come with meal/drink service.

When I go to a movie, I don't want to be into it for $50.

I'm a cheap date. Love the dollar theaters. If you get there a few minutes early, you can pick where you want to sit. And actually, our dollar theater is about the cleanest theater in town. Because food and drinks aren't spilled on the floor all the time.

Old 03-20-2018, 08:53 PM

5,972 posts, read 2,815,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
In my area, the reserved seating theaters also come with meal/drink service.

When I go to a movie, I don't want to be into it for $50.

I'm a cheap date. Love the dollar theaters. If you get there a few minutes early, you can pick where you want to sit. And actually, our dollar theater is about the cleanest theater in town. Because food and drinks aren't spilled on the floor all the time.
You know the meal/drink service is optional, right?

You're lucky to have a clean dollar theater. Ours is an absolute pit. By the time the movie is over, you want a full Silkwood shower. I won't waste my dollar there (it's actually $2.50, but same difference)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or