U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-22-2018, 08:20 PM
 
Location: Southern Colorado
2,581 posts, read 1,294,151 times
Reputation: 3524

Advertisements

Of course he is a comic genius, one of the very best. I have come to think that he is also a real and regular genius.

His last series "Comedians in Cars getting Coffee" is now on Netflix. There goes a week...binge watching. Almost glad they don't carry Seinfeld. Got stuff to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-22-2018, 08:25 PM
 
Location: The Jar
20,026 posts, read 13,480,591 times
Reputation: 36623
Jerry, is that you?!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-22-2018, 08:33 PM
 
9,059 posts, read 10,804,940 times
Reputation: 12154
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoGuy View Post
Of course he is a comic genius, one of the very best. I have come to think that he is also a real and regular genius.

His last series "Comedians in Cars getting Coffee" is now on Netflix. There goes a week...binge watching. Almost glad they don't carry Seinfeld. Got stuff to do.
You know he asked a network to buy that show and they declined. So he sold it to Netflix for 100 million!

Inside Jerry Seinfeld's $100 million decision to jump to Netflix - Business Insider
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-22-2018, 08:54 PM
 
Location: Southern Colorado
2,581 posts, read 1,294,151 times
Reputation: 3524
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
You know he asked a network to buy that show and they declined. So he sold it to Netflix for 100 million!

Inside Jerry Seinfeld's $100 million decision to jump to Netflix - Business Insider

There are about 70-80 episodes ranging from 15 to 22 minutes.

I don't know how Netflix makes money with how much they pay. Oh wait, they don't from what I hear.

They also have a few of his comedy routines. I have a lot more respect for clean comedians. The raunchy ones get laughter out of embarrassment. To each their own but I think clean comedy takes a lot more work.

He says he isn't happy but he also says that about everything he does is an act. So I guess we should realize that what he says is likely part of an act rather than how he really feels.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-23-2018, 12:16 PM
 
Location: Toronto
84 posts, read 20,581 times
Reputation: 104
From an entertainment and business point of view, he is. His take on his latest show and read on how people like that type of show was spot on. Who would have thought it would have made him that much money.

His pulse on what's 'funny' and observations are spot on and still keeps him in the game. Other comedians would die to have his acumen in today's world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-23-2018, 12:47 PM
 
Location: Southern Colorado
2,581 posts, read 1,294,151 times
Reputation: 3524
Quote:
Originally Posted by blistex649 View Post
From an entertainment and business point of view, he is. His take on his latest show and read on how people like that type of show was spot on. Who would have thought it would have made him that much money.

His pulse on what's 'funny' and observations are spot on and still keeps him in the game. Other comedians would die to have his acumen in today's world.
He keeps his antennae out and working almost all the time I think. At least he does when with other celebrities....likely a good group to learn from.

Will Netflix recoup their $100 million investment in "Comedians in Cars getting Coffee?" I have no idea how pricing that stuff works. Seems like a lot to me but I know almost nothing about show business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-26-2018, 04:29 PM
 
Location: Honolulu, HI
3,252 posts, read 778,913 times
Reputation: 4671
Yes but cars in coffee wasn’t funny, he has another Netflix special that is hilarious

You want to know another genius... Larry David, writer behind Seinfeld, and did Curb your enthusiasm. Easiest one of the most comedic geniuses we will ever see. That’s why each guy is worth like $500 million or so
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-26-2018, 07:42 PM
 
5,217 posts, read 2,231,041 times
Reputation: 3018
Of course he's a genius. He's loaded and he has excellent taste in hot brunettes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-29-2018, 11:52 AM
 
5,445 posts, read 4,231,218 times
Reputation: 14954
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoGuy View Post
There are about 70-80 episodes ranging from 15 to 22 minutes.

I don't know how Netflix makes money with how much they pay. Oh wait, they don't from what I hear.

They also have a few of his comedy routines. I have a lot more respect for clean comedians. The raunchy ones get laughter out of embarrassment. To each their own but I think clean comedy takes a lot more work.

He says he isn't happy but he also says that about everything he does is an act. So I guess we should realize that what he says is likely part of an act rather than how he really feels.
When it comes to streaming services, a single show or movie is not going to make them any money, but when you carry exclusive shows such as CCC, it gives people a reason to stay with Netflix. Netflix has over 100 million subscribers and when the cheapest plan comes in at 8 bucks, that is 800 million a month collected. This is why Netflix is putting most of their eggs into Netflix exclusives. Any of the streaming services can carry the movie Home Alone, but only Netflix has House of Cards, Daredevil, etc. Jerry Seinfeld has a cult like following so maybe for Netflix it was worth the 100 million because that 100 million spent could have very will kept many subscribers around for a few more months.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-03-2018, 06:24 AM
 
Location: 59N
4,998 posts, read 5,394,168 times
Reputation: 3791
No, but Larry David is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top