U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Statements Most Closely Reflect Your Opinion of Disney (choose up to 3)
I hate Disney corporation but I like all their media content and the theme parks. 1 5.26%
Disney corporation is wonderful. I like all their media content and the theme parks. 5 26.32%
I hate Disney corporation. I like all their media content but not the theme parks. 1 5.26%
Disney corporation is wonderful. I like all their media content but not the theme parks. 1 5.26%
I hate Disney corporation. I like the theme parks but none of their media content. 2 10.53%
Disney corporation is wonderful. I like the theme parks but none of their media content. 0 0%
I hate Disney corporation. I like some of their media content and the theme parks. 0 0%
Disney corporation is wonderful. I like some of their media content and the theme parks. 2 10.53%
I hate Disney corporation. I like a little of their media content and the theme parks. 2 10.53%
Disney corporation is wonderful. I like a little of their media content and the theme parks. 1 5.26%
I hate Disney corporation. I like some of their media content but not the theme parks. 2 10.53%
Disney corporation is wonderful. I like some of their media content but not the theme parks. 1 5.26%
I hate Disney corporation because they destroyed the Star Wars franchise. 4 21.05%
I hate Disney corporation because they drove the price of cable TV sky high with the tactic of forced bundling. 2 10.53%
I try to boycott Disney because I feel they are way too powerful in the entertainment industry. 3 15.79%
I hate Disney because they are a corrupt corporation that bribes politicians in Congress to expand copyright law. 1 5.26%
I hate Disney because they are extremely greedy and overprice their products. 3 15.79%
I try to boycott Disney because they are scummy and toxic promoting questionable values towards children. 2 10.53%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2018, 05:17 PM

3,552 posts, read 2,608,986 times

Advertisements

Please share you honest opinions of Disney Corporation and its products and services.

In my opinion there is so much social pressure to experience Disney that most people are unaware of the corporate activities conducted by Disney that have harmed people and our society.

(1) Cable TV prices are too expensive because Disney introduced forced channel bundling to extort money out of the cable companies. Cable subscribers ended up paying for that cost.

(2) Every time the copyright protection for Mickey Mouse and other Disney icons reach expiration, Disney has paid off politicians in Congress to have the copyright laws lengthened. Copyrights were originally 17 years long and now due to Disney's corruption it is life of the creator plus 70 years. There is a benefit to having copyrights expire as other can use the public domain to further enhance products and services. I think the copyright laws should be rolled back to the original term of 17 years.

(3) in the last fifteen years or so Disney has been buying up other content: Marvel, Pixar, Lucasfilm, and soon to be the FOX Studios. It is debatable whether these other entities have become better or worse under Disney ownership.

Let the debate begin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2018, 05:22 PM

6,903 posts, read 4,996,647 times
I believe that we need to bring Walt out of cold storage in order for this to be a fair discourse of good vs. evil and The Holy Empire of Disney

Old 04-01-2018, 05:24 PM

6,405 posts, read 3,096,607 times
Nothing for me to debate. None of this rates on the list of things that bother me.

Old 04-02-2018, 08:42 AM
Status: "It's a cold and it's a broken Hallelujah" (set 21 days ago)

19,980 posts, read 19,614,617 times
definitive? I think not...what about those of us that have been brutalized when wandering into the backlots by accident where the Disney characters hang out on their breaks smoking cigarettes, drinking fortified wine and shooting dice. Sleeping Beauty kicked me in the side of the head with some sort of karate maneuver and chased me all the way to the Bear Country Jamboree.

Old 04-02-2018, 01:40 PM

8,020 posts, read 5,989,403 times
I'm more concerned that you've found the time and effort to put that poll together.

Old 04-04-2018, 12:09 AM

32,509 posts, read 37,703,087 times
Never gave it much thought, Disney makes great movies and has some great theme parks,whats not to like?

Old 04-04-2018, 11:01 AM

16,468 posts, read 49,746,783 times
Most people are too blissfully unaware, or simply don't care about the excesses of the Disney brand.

Your point #2, the violation of public trust by stealing the public domain on copyright is the most egregious act. Limitations of copyright, patents, and other intellectual "property" are there (or should I say WERE there?) for a reason. The concept was originally to strip the oligarchs and patrons of art and literature of their strangleholds, and to place the rights of creative works into the hands of the artists who created them, so they could get just recompense. After any reasonable time that the artist - or even offspring- could be compensated was gone, those rights went to the public. Once the rights to the works were there, other creators could build upon that without fear of lawsuit. So how did that work? How effective was it? Ask Disney.

Cinderella was a public domain fairy tale. How about that kid with the magic lamp? Public domain. Snow White? Public domain. The Disney empire was built upon its ONE vision of public domain works. Now that Disney has control, good luck on even using the name "Snow White."

The negative effects of stealing the public domain is not limited to fairy tales. Thousands of works are now held hostage. Note that scientific work is part of it:

https://law.duke.edu/cspd/publicdoma...2018/pre-1976/

For those who take umbrage with my use of the term "stealing", I would like you to take a look at the stern warning on the front of your DVD or Blu-Ray, saying that copying of the material is a crime that will be investigated and prosecuted, complete with an official-looking FBI logo. Changing the laws by buying off Congresscritters simply brings to the forefront that the public domain property had value, and Disney stole from the public- to make it pay to see things it ALREADY OWNED. If you can't see that as stealing, I have no hope for you ever building a logical moral construct.

A second issue with Disney is the required bundling of ESPN in any prime cable or satellite package - at a cost to the consumer of $5/mo whether they watch or not. $60/yr from half the U.S. population buys a lot of congresscritters. That was an easy fix for me. I just dumped the whole thing. No harm, no foul.

The strong-arm tactics of Disney in motion picture exhibition was one of the prime reasons that theatre owners were forced into forming a lobbying group and legal structure to fend off the takeover it was attempting. I won't bore you with that. The point is that the group DID stand up and object.

Disney puts on a great front of being a moral leader of the U.S., but under that is an amoral corporation only interested in profits. Remember the kid killed by an alligator at the Disney resort in Florida? It was known YEARS before that that the alligators were eating the pets of the guests. One customer of mine told me back in the 1990s of how he was walking his little dog by one of the lakes and it was grabbed off the leash and eaten.

I don't like Disney's corporate shenanigans, but if there is blame to be laid it has to be on the public. A wolf is going to be an wolf, no matter if you dress it in a fairy tale kindly grandma costume. If the public doesn't have the sense that Little Red Riding Hood had, it will get eaten. If it doesn't hold Congresscritters responsible, they will vote to enrich themselves and their friends. It has been that way from the beginning of the country.

Old 04-04-2018, 11:32 AM

8,755 posts, read 15,071,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Now that Disney has control, good luck on even using the name "Snow White."
Except in literature.

Old 04-04-2018, 11:38 AM

10,918 posts, read 6,400,437 times
The poll needs a "Who cares?" option.

Old 04-04-2018, 03:17 PM

3,552 posts, read 2,608,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
The poll needs a "Who cares?" option.
Anyone who thinks "who cares" is blind to Disney's legal abuses. A true libertarian would be appalled by the power that Disney has grabbed over the years. There are laws in place solely because Disney paid off politicians.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts