Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2019, 07:36 AM

468 posts, read 615,807 times

Advertisements

Think about what happened to MySpace.

Or Bebo.

Or even any of the other social media websites that turned into cyber tumbleweeds.

The day will come for Facebook and Instagram, and even Snapchat lately does not seem to be as popular as it was three to four years ago.

I'm just wondering if people finally grow tired of all the Facebooks and Instagramming, will people even bother switching to the next service, if there even is a service?

We all know about how social media can be corrosive, toxic and a breeding ground for narcissism/narcissists or trolls, or even racists and those who espouse hateful or negative opinions.

I'm just wondering how long it can all last, if everything is temporary, particularly the material...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2019, 11:18 AM

8,712 posts, read 6,756,695 times
In each case you mention as failed, it was because people moved to another platform, not because those disappeared and eventually something else came along.

Social media needs to evolve and grow up. So far, it's at the fingerpainting stage and not very good at it. But in general, rapid, widespread connection made up of defined individuals is a worthwhile endeavor.

Old 03-14-2019, 05:37 PM

192 posts, read 186,317 times
Everything has an expiration date. Everything. Even Amazon and social media. The way people live, and the tools/things they use to live at the time, changes over time. Sadly, the way things have been lately, that rate of change has accelerated. The tools and objects that people use to live their lives is evolving so quickly that it's making everything, including social media, more and more temporary. Expiration dates are getting shortened. And yet, this fact remains forever true:

Times change. Truth does not.

Old 03-20-2019, 08:51 AM

1,739 posts, read 1,915,804 times
The day Fakebook goes down I'll be one happy camper. I use it, like most, to keep in touch with far flung people in my life but seriously, there isn't a day that goes by that SOMETHING on there doesn't **** me off. Whether it's the constant quirks and things not working right (like this morning, and a lot of times, clicking "show more comments" in a story or post only makes my page scroll way down past the topic and into something else entirely different, but no loading of more comments), or FakeBook making up their "community standards" as they go along----I was once thrown in FB jail for calling someone a cheapskate, true story!, while I've seen HORRIBLE pictures and posts about animal abuse, etc left up.

I'm just so over Mark Zuckerbergs gestapo ways, quite frankly. He's super creepy anyway. Am I the only one who has noticed the completely soulless look in his eyes ? Turns my blood cold.

Old 03-24-2019, 11:23 AM

2,264 posts, read 1,483,389 times
The term 'social media' merely refers to computer-based communication interfaces. Computers aren't going anywhere anytime soon. Communication isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

It's like asking if the ultimate obsolescence of Beta and LaserDisc and VHS (completed) and DVDs (ongoing) mean that people will eventually just throw up their hands and ignore visual recordings. That's not going to happen. Similarly, computer-based communication platforms aren't going to disappear as a concept, either.

Old 04-10-2019, 02:25 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,189,747 times
I don't go to FB much anymore. Maybe just to wish everyone happy holidays. I couldn't care less about it anymore. No more social media for me if FB goes down.

Old 04-12-2019, 03:27 PM

1,433 posts, read 1,509,228 times
I use it to keep in touch with my cousins who live in the UK, as well as some people I know from way back when. I am careful who 'friend' on FB. I don't mind it, but I generally only visit on the weekends. I am not there every day.

I like some of the jokes and funny photos that some people share.

Old 04-16-2019, 03:25 PM

949 posts, read 572,323 times
There will always be those "look at me" people, so I say yes they will always be popular.

Old 04-21-2019, 08:58 PM

3,680 posts, read 2,964,030 times
Facebook is instrumental in mining endless data about citizens. That is the industry that makes pills and oil pale in comparison. Look at the richest people and companies in the world. They are all mining data:
Amazon - Bezos
Apple
Microsoft - Gates
Facebook - Zuckerberg
Alphabet/Google

Data is king in a surveillance society.

Old 04-24-2019, 01:53 PM

4 posts, read 2,073 times
I like social. It helps me stay in touch with old friends and relations
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts