Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2018, 12:41 AM

12,477 posts, read 17,746,760 times

Advertisements

I don't even know that this is the correct forum but would appreciate any and all responses.

See, I've had Direct Tv for like 15 years. Thought I would try something different so now all my internet and tv is through a local cable company. I had a DVR with DT and now I have TiVo and the genies for extra tvs.
I see that I have the option to sign up for either or both-Hulu and Netflix. I'm sure most of you guys have been using these services for years but with DT I just never explored other options.
I'm not yet familiar with the features of this TiVo but I'm not liking it really. So information regarding TiVo would be appreciated too. I think the cable company should provide a class!!! I would pay for it
So, ok, back to the original question: Hulu Or Netflix or both?? I don't see a function that allows me to see the cost of each.
I know you guys are like,"why don't you call your cable company???"and the answer is--I have! Too many times. Depending on which CS agent I get, I either learn something or hang up more confused than before.

thank,
Pippy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2018, 01:50 AM

4,876 posts, read 4,994,634 times
Pippy, you just now getting Netflix or Hulu? Hulu, I know nothing about. TiVo, same. Netflix may come with your cable package, if you have internet bundled. I think Comcast offers that. I forget the streaming cost, but I think it is less than $10 a month. Worth every penny of that.

Old 03-15-2018, 02:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creekcat View Post
Pippy, you just now getting Netflix or Hulu? Hulu, I know nothing about. TiVo, same. Netflix may come with your cable package, if you have internet bundled. I think Comcast offers that. I forget the streaming cost, but I think it is less than $10 a month. Worth every penny of that.
thanks CC; what is Netflix-all movies?
Yea, I'm about 10 years behind

Old 03-15-2018, 02:20 AM

14,612 posts, read 17,391,856 times
If you can only afford one then choose Netflix. With Hulu pay the extra $4 and watch your shows without commercial interruptions. Commercials on streaming are even more annoying than broadcast because they show you the same ones over and over again.

Some customers who are not addicted to sports or live news are choosing to get Netflix ($11), Hulu ($12 without commercials), Amazon Prime ($11) and HBO Now ($15) for example and simply watching video libraries without commercials.
------------------------

Hulu is owned by the major media companies that also own your cable channels. Disney, 21st Century Fox, Turner Time Warner, and COMCAST. Hulu's strength is that it gives you the same shows you are used to from broadcast or cable, but it makes it easy to go back and watch the episodes in order.

Right now Hulu has
1,273 TV shows and
1,365 movies (167 that were released in 2017 and NONE released in 2018).

Netflix started out airing older movies and TV shows, but is now bent on producing a total of 700 original titles by the end of 2018. For the most part these will be TV shows you can't see anywhere else.

Right now Netflix has
1,066 TV shows and
3,754 movies (545 that were released in 2017 and 38 released in 2018)

Clearly Netflix has many more movies and many more recent ones The TV shows are about 50/50 between shows that were on broadcast, and "Netflix Originals".

Old 03-15-2018, 02:26 AM

I just sat here fiddling with the remote; clicked on Netflix, chose a show and it's playing it. No where did it have me sign up or indicate a charge

Old 03-15-2018, 08:50 AM

4,876 posts, read 4,994,634 times
Be to check your On-Demand feature of your cable service.

Old 03-15-2018, 09:06 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,372,303 times
I've been without traditional TV (cable, sat or OTA) since 2012... I've tried pretty much Every option out there and they all do different things. So it Really depends on what you want.

The OTT (over the top) offers like Playstation Vue, Sling TV, and the like are just traditional TV sent over the internet. All the commercials, the linear format with a guide that tells you what's coming next. Nothing new beyond the delivery (well, and you can cut out a lot of the packaging). Most will offer some on-demand content too.

Hulu is as close to OTT as any service gets while offer all the shows on-demand. It's Current TV-shows, though they were a day to a week behind when I last tried it.

The rest (Netflix, HBOGo, Amazon Prime, etc..) are all in the same class together as on-demand repositories with "TV" stuff being a season behind (Amazon offers some current season to be purchased, not included with Prime). Obviously, their own in-house stuff doesn't have to be delayed. Think about it as anything that's on DVD, delivered over the internet. Nexflix isn't "just" movies, but old TV seasons too, and their original content.

We only have Netflix in our house. Nothing else lived up to the cost/benefit ratio for us. I know others who have Only Hulu, and others with only Prime. It really depends on what you want/like... knowing what you like comes from exploring the options.

Old 03-15-2018, 12:50 PM

651 posts, read 406,232 times
I think the best strategy is alternate between the two, honestly.

Netflix has more content overall and there is also some overlap between the two. However, there is a definitive tendency for netflix to drop people's long time favorites so the community definitely gets upset when it happens. Netflix does not seem to get along well with Fox/FX content and have recently dropped such shows as Xfiles, Its always sunny in Ph, Archer, Bobs Burgers and now looks like Sons of Anarchy is going to get axed next.

Some of the original content by netflix is decent but many of those are in the beginning stages with only one or two seasons produced. So I you find something that you really like be prepared for long waits until those return with more episodes.

Old 03-15-2018, 01:44 PM

thanks all-this has been a very helpful thread for me.

I'm still sitting here watching Netflix-FREE-and have no idea why. It's only just this one TV. There are 3 others in the house but on them you are asked to sign up,credit card infor, etc

Old 03-15-2018, 02:27 PM

1,073 posts, read 2,088,485 times
I just recently downgraded my 200 channel package with Uverse to just a few basic local channels. I have both Netflix and Hulu accounts, but just recently discovered I can get Hulu free through my Sprint account. I canceled my paid (commercial free) subscription and went with the free Sprint option, but now I have to sit through a bunch of commercials. It's free, so I can't complain.

My brother gets HBO free through his ATT wireless account. Check with your wireless provider. Hopefully, you have Sprint, and you won't have to choose between Netflix or Hulu.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts